I have searched for an answer to my question but did not find it. So I figured I would ask here. I have an old 8830 that I would like to let my son use as an regular cell phone. Meaning, use it just for texting and calls. Is there a way I can reuse the BB as a regular phone?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    04-21-09 10:28 PM
    Without a data plan, a BlackBerry is just a regular phone. You can get texting plans that don't include data.
    04-21-09 10:32 PM
    Thank you for your response. I am on Verizon and my sons enV stopped working, so I figured I would just give him my old BB 8830 and let him use it. He currently has an unlimited texting plan. Can I just take the BB into Verizon and have them port the number into the BB?

Thanks again for you help...
    04-21-09 10:43 PM
    It should be that simple. If his enV will power up at all, the store clerk can also port his address book from the enV to the BlackBerry. Since you aren't buying a device, they may charge for this service.
    04-21-09 10:45 PM
    Thanks... I will try that. I thought I was told I could not do this, but will go out and have them port it tomorrow.

Thanks for the help
    04-21-09 10:49 PM
    The will not let you buy a bb without a data plan, but as Jeff said they will let you activate it as a replacement for a different line.
    04-21-09 10:52 PM
    And be sure to check your bill... they may "auto-activate" you a BB plan.
    04-22-09 02:57 PM
    They are telling me that I must have a BB plan in order to activate it??
    Can I put a different SIM card in and then use it??

Thanks
    04-24-09 10:32 AM
    They are telling me that I must have a BB plan in order to activate it??
    Can I put a different SIM card in and then use it??

Thanks
    The GSM side of an 8830 is only useful in Europe. It uses European GSM frequencies, not US. Putting a SIM card in the 8830 will not do anything.
    04-24-09 10:38 AM
    People I know activate BB"s all the time without data I would talk to another rep
    04-24-09 07:15 PM
    I don't know if you went into the verizon store or not but your best bet is to do it over the phone with CS. And like they said if you do activate it make sure to check the bill to see if they added the data plan

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-09 12:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD