Covering my bases on all the forums with this issue (pinstack, bbforums, etc) - hope someone can help:

Love the 8830 but I loved it a little too much recently and put a small crack in the window lens. I bought a replacement part from cellulardr.com, but I don't have instructions on how to remove the old lens. I took a look at some online videos about replacing the front plate on the 8800 - but the 8830 seems to have a two piece plate on the front (the lens and the plate over the keyboard versus the one-piece front of the 8800) so I'm not sure I need to go through the hassle of unscrewing the back and removing the side plates.

If anyone has done this successfully, I would love to know more about how.
    Last edited by patoot; 11-26-07 at 09:12 AM. Reason: spelling
    11-26-07 09:09 AM
    patoot,

It can be done, buts it a real pain. There is a pre-cut sticky that comes with the window. The existing window is "stuck" to the frame of the front cover. you have to pry it off, clean any residue off and then stick the sticker to the cover. Then attach the new window to the sticky side of the pre-cut mold.

Hope that helps.

Slyderla
    11-26-07 01:59 PM
    im surprised no one knows of any place with a more detailed step by step instruction or like a small video of how to do this. i've got some dust under my lens and id really like to take the lens off and clean it.
    01-25-08 12:22 PM
    You can try Googling Cnn.cn Cellular Accesories. They have a video on undoing the whole casing system on the 8830. It could help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-08 12:39 PM
    01-27-08 07:50 PM
    This is a job better left to the pros. Step by step written instructions would be a very welcome help. The phone does not come apart as easily as the one shown in the cnn.cn video. The screws that hold the unit together are made from cheap metal. I purchased my unit used and did not realize it had been taken apart and reassembled with a sheared screw. What is sheared? Over tighten and you will learn.

The Blackberry, in all it's iterations is a remarkable business machine. Treat it as such and when it needs repair do yourself a favor: respect the machine, and yourself and send it for repair.

I succeeded at the lens repair (or did I) because I realized the cost of the lens was less than shipping so I purchased two. Lucky me. Having had this experience and knowing how it works, I would not attempt this again. It's not worth it.
    08-30-08 05:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD