I have a Verizon 8830.

When upgrading to 4.5.77 I bricked my phone and had to recover it with a forced install of the OS. In the process I seemed to have lost all teh default ringtones. I am unable to edit my sound profiles for things like Phone and SMS Messages so my phone would not ring or vibrate at incoming alerts. I was able to get ringers back by putting custom ringtones on my memmory card and setting them as the ringtone through the media player. Now I can edit the Phone settings, but still dont have any normal ringers.

My main problem is that I cant set the SMS alerts. There doesnt seem to be a similar option in the media player to set a tone as my SMS alert so I cant edit it under sound profiles.

Is there a way I can restore these original sounds to their default location on the 8830 memmory? Anyone else have this issue?
    11-11-08 11:34 AM
    That's a bug with .77. Search in the 4.5 BETA forum for the fix, it's been discussed extensively. BTW, this has nothing to do with you bricking the phone first. The media file for the ringtones is just not included with the .77 version for the 8830.
    11-11-08 01:22 PM
    Did anyone find a fix for the ringtone loss problem on the 8830 OS upgrade?

Ron
    11-13-08 06:01 AM
    Did anyone find a fix for the ringtone loss problem on the 8830 OS upgrade?

Ron
    That's a bug with .77. Search in the 4.5 BETA forum for the fix, it's been discussed extensively. BTW, this has nothing to do with you bricking the phone first. The media file for the ringtones is just not included with the .77 version for the 8830.
    Perhaps you missed this.
    11-13-08 10:38 AM
    I did this just last night, and searched and found the answer: find net_rim_bb_medialoader_qualcomm.cod in the Java folder of the older OS, copy and paste into the Java folder for .77, then rename it net_rim_bb_medialoader_8830.cod. Start up DM and allow the update. Now when your BB reboots, you won't see the tones, but after a battery pull they should show up. I did this last night and it worked like a charm.
    11-13-08 11:19 AM
    You will also need to go into your profiles and change the notifications once the ring tones appear.
    11-13-08 11:19 AM
    You will also need to go into your profiles and change the notifications once the ring tones appear.
    No you don't! All you have to do is restore your Profiles Database from the backup you did when you loaded the OS. If you were smart enough to read the ringtone fix writeup prior to the upgrade of the OS and you did the file copy and rename prior to upgrading to .77 this step isn't even needed because the ringtones would have already been loaded before the Profile database was restored so the corruption of the Profile settings wouldn't have happened.
    11-13-08 11:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD