Can anyone explain to me why the 8830 never caught on. I bought mine a year and a half ago (my 1st BB) and I have loved it. I'll be grabbing the Storm on Friday, but was wondering why my first BB wasn't more popular. Everyone that I know all use the Curve. There are far more apps, themes, ect. for the Curve and I feel like the 8830 is very underrated.
    11-19-08 09:29 AM
    I would agree, but I think the 8830WE is more for the on the go professional. Plus, it doesn't have a camera and you cant receive multimedia messages without logging into your VZW account to view the received message. The everyday user (not just the professional) wants the phone, the video... pretty much all the bells and whistles. I have loved my 8830 from the moment I laid hands on it, but I do miss the extra features. I cant wait for my Storm!
    11-19-08 09:38 AM
    Everythink bdunnuck said, plus the 8330 has 50% more memory. Unless you require the World Phone capability, there's little (no?) reason to select an 8830 over an 8330 now.
    11-19-08 10:27 AM
    that's exactly why i like my phone 8830. it has way more memory than the 8330
    11-19-08 10:48 AM
    I have the 8830 now (at least until Monday whe my Storm arrives) and I don't really have any complaints except for the lack of a camera every now and then. I am in retail manufacturing and it would be helpful to have a "spy cam" every now and then.
    11-19-08 10:56 AM
    I asked someone at blackberry the same question. He said besides more memory and mms, there isn't really an advantage. And there is a way to unlock mms, I just haven't had time to play with it. Also said the camera is very low quality.

Most people he knows that have used both prefer the 8830. Also mentioned that the 8830 is very popular with the business people and they are less likely to log into these sites.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-08 11:05 AM
    that's exactly why i like my phone 8830. it has way more memory than the 8330
    I wish that were the case.
    11-19-08 11:51 AM
    I got the 8830 for the great battery life and to avoid the camera. It,s my personal phone but I use it @ the office where camera phones are frowned upon. I talked to a curve user today who has os 4.3x and she says it is unstable. I'm glad I got the 8830 even with an older os (4.2.2) because I've heard it is very stable. So far for me that's true. (Posted from my 8830)

11-19-08 04:34 PM
    My reasoning was simple...I travel to europe often, my treo was nothing but a paperweight there. I needed a smart phone that could work on the GSM network. There aren't (or weren't) too many smart phones with that capability at the time. Not to mention camera phones are also taboo where I work so I wanted something without a camera.
    11-19-08 06:02 PM
    I love my 8830 because, to me, the Curve is just a toy. The camera probably takes up a lot of memory and I like my keyboard much better than the curve's. I also got a really good price on ebay ($150) when a curve would have cost $300-$400. I literally thought "why would someone pay double the price for a camera??"

Haha. It was funny.

I mostly use my 8830 for email and stocks with ETrade so a camera is not exactly in my interest.

However, when my girlfriend sends me the occasional picture she sends it to my email and it comes as an attachment

Nothing to complain about.
    To answer your question, the camera is what made the 8830 not so popular. But I still see them everywhere. I like their prominence.

Rock on 8830 owners! You are the REAL cool kids

11-19-08 06:51 PM
    For those of you that have Sprint, when you travel abroad, you can add unlimited international data use for $69/month. And it is prorated for the length of your stay overseas.
    I don't think any other carrier offers unlimited use. Another reason to love the 8830WE!
    11-19-08 07:05 PM
    I confess that I didn't look much beyond the Curve. I liked the keys, size and etc. I have a friend that likes the 8830 and I could haved with that as well. Not sure that the previous take regarding which has more memory is correct or maybe our BB's are different from the norm. I guess there is no such thing as a bad BB is there?
    11-19-08 07:05 PM
    The 8830 fit the bill for me.
    Cameras are forbidden in many of the sites I frequent and I can't check my phone at the door--it is a work tool. International support. The biggest con for me has been the limited memory, even after removing anything that is unneeded.
    11-19-08 08:01 PM
    The 8830 fit the bill for me...The biggest con for me has been the limited memory, even after removing anything that is unneeded.
    Same here. love the qwerty pad & general form; so slim, when I slip it into my suit coat pocket, I forget it's there. Wish it had a lot more memory. My theory, too, is that it's for the all-business types, who, perhaps RIM thought, wouldn't be loading in whole bunches of themes, videos, & such. I'm a great believer in 3rd party app enhancing and there's not a lot of memory to go around for that!
    11-19-08 10:39 PM
    I really appreciate this thread. I have the 8820 and I was asking all the same questions. It also makes sense that there isn't a lot of love on this site for the 88xx because most people who have these phones wouldn't frequent this site.

11-19-08 11:14 PM
    @Chesterhound
    Right on man, I had been using Sprint's Int'l unlimited data when I travel to Asia. Checking the latest Crackberry news via viigo, BBing my honey on the plan, can't be beat. The GPRS part of things is bearable. Occasionally a phone call here and there. Works great! I'd dropped this thing so many times (I got a fat gut), and my berry still works like a charm.
    11-20-08 08:17 AM
    My only real gripe with my 8830 is the simple lack of memory. My only other gripe is with verizon over the GPS but that is a whole different topic.

11-20-08 11:27 AM
    I was told by a salesperson at Sprint that they are not sellling the 8830 anymore. They have a few in warehouse for insurance/replacements, but they are no longer being sold as a new phone. FYI........
    11-20-08 12:09 PM
    I had an 8830 for my first phone on verizon..Got rid of it went to a curve and am now going back to the 8830. Just something about the phone seems like a more solid phone than the curve!! I can't wait to get switched back over and start using the 8830 again!!
    11-25-08 12:21 AM
    I am not an international traveler, but when I checked out the BB's I just wasn't drawn to the Curve. I have no use for the camera because if I want to take a pic I just use my digital camera, the feel of the 8830 is much better and it just has a much more grown up look. I feel the curve is more of a college phone. Love my 8830!
    11-25-08 02:47 AM
    I've been with Verizon for years and it has the best coverage for my area (NY/NJ). When I went to upgrade my Palm Treo 650 to a BlackBerry, Verizon didn't have the Curve available so by default (I want full QWERTY, so no Pearl for me), I got the 8830.

Other than the lack of memory issue, I have to admit that I love my 8830; I've tried the Curve (a couple of my friends have it) and I think the 8830 feels more solid and has a better keyboard.

Personally, I'd be happy keeping the 8830 until it wears out. However, as stable as OS 4.2 has been for me, I don't want to be left out of OS upgrades (I don't do beta). If Verizon doesn't release OS 4.5 or higher for the 8830, I may be forced to make a change because I really need Docs to Go.

Maybe we 8830 owners are more of the quiet type!
    11-25-08 09:21 PM
    I am not an international traveler, but when I checked out the BB's I just wasn't drawn to the Curve. I have no use for the camera because if I want to take a pic I just use my digital camera, the feel of the 8830 is much better and it just has a much more grown up look. I feel the curve is more of a college phone. Love my 8830!
    This is me. My wife has a Curve, and it is decent, but I really am drawn to the looks of the 8830. I like the size of the 8830 over the Curve. I don't need a camera. I don't use my phone as a media player. I use the internet, email, texting, and calls, that is about it. The calendar is decent enough to use, as is the alarm clock.
    11-25-08 09:32 PM
    Coming from Windows Mobile, I really love my BB 8830! I 1st fell in love with the look. Before the Bold, the Javelin, and the Storm came on the sene the 8830 was the smoothest looking BB to me. The Chrome bars on the side, and the smooth silver finish (I'm with Verizon ) gives it a great Professional look.
    11-25-08 10:15 PM
    I've been with Verizon for years and it has the best coverage for my area (NY/NJ). When I went to upgrade my Palm Treo 650 to a BlackBerry, Verizon didn't have the Curve available so by default (I want full QWERTY, so no Pearl for me), I got the 8830.

Other than the lack of memory issue, I have to admit that I love my 8830; I've tried the Curve (a couple of my friends have it) and I think the 8830 feels more solid and has a better keyboard.

Personally, I'd be happy keeping the 8830 until it wears out. However, as stable as OS 4.2 has been for me, I don't want to be left out of OS upgrades (I don't do beta). If Verizon doesn't release OS 4.5 or higher for the 8830, I may be forced to make a change because I really need Docs to Go.

Maybe we 8830 owners are more of the quiet type!
    I wouldn't call the OS 4.5 a beta version just because verizon is slow to approve it. I feel that once the manufacturer has approved it as, blackberry clearly has, it is no longer beta.
    11-26-08 06:55 AM
    I wouldn't call the OS 4.5 a beta version just because verizon is slow to approve it. I feel that once the manufacturer has approved it as, blackberry clearly has, it is no longer beta.
    On what are you basing your opinion that RIM has approved OS4.5 for the 8830? It's not available from their website, nor has it been released by any carrier to my knowledge. What am I missing?

11-26-08 11:20 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD