From what I've been reading the BB browser is junk. The preferred browser is Opera Mini. Being new to BB land, is there a way to delete the BB browser and make Opera the default? Or perhaps keep BB in the background but Opera still as the default? Seems like a logical request...
    02-18-08 09:02 AM
    Nope. It can't be done. Hopefully the OS 4.5 update will either give us all an OperaMini style browser or a chance to change the default.

Sorry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-08 10:01 AM
    It's the 88xx browser that's junk. The OS 4.3 browser on the Pearl is much better. However, I use Opera Mini anyway because it's much faster on my device.

Hopefully the 4.5 upgrade will give everyone a newer, better BB browser.
    02-18-08 10:27 AM
    You wouldn't want to delete the default browser as you cannot download applications using Opera Mini. So you still need the default browser for somethings. Just my $.02.

By the way, this is my 100 post.
    02-18-08 11:03 AM
    i love opera mini!
    02-19-08 02:52 AM
    I love OperaMini but if RIM were to make a BlackBerry defauld browser that was just like OperaMini I'd be firdt on the band wagon!

I can't wait until Firefox mobile. Is released, or even comes into Beta. Firefoz style browsing for all, and tabbed browsing!

02-19-08 09:41 AM
    I still am unable to get either opera mini 3 or 4 to fun on my BB. Even BB tech support through my carrier was unable to help me. It keeps telling me that its unable to connect to the internet and to contact my carrier. I do have the new OS 4.2.2.176. Tech support told me that this might be the problem. I have searched and searched and have not found the answer or any who can help me. Any ideas?

02-19-08 10:44 AM
    I still am unable to get either opera mini 3 or 4 to fun on my BB. Even BB tech support through my carrier was unable to help me. It keeps telling me that its unable to connect to the internet and to contact my carrier. I do have the new OS 4.2.2.176. Tech support told me that this might be the problem. I have searched and searched and have not found the answer or any who can help me. Any ideas?

Call your carrier and ask them for their APN settings for your device. Then go to Options > Advanced Options > TCP and put them in there. Hopefully that will work for you.

ADLEN
    02-19-08 11:46 AM

I told you how to solve your problem on the other post you made about this. The 8830 has a bug that causes Internet access to 3rd party apps to stop working if you mess with the APN TCP/IP settings, which your other posts indicated that you did because people like the one above keep giving out incorrect info such as this. If you own a CDMA Blackberry DON'T MESS WITH THE APN SETTINGS!!!

The fix is either an OS reload or a backup/wipe/restore of your data. This should fix the issues. Another person did what I told them to do and it fixed their problems.
    02-19-08 12:47 PM
    Sorry JRSCCivic, I didn't know the effects of APN changing on the 8830.
    02-19-08 01:17 PM
    I've been trying to get opera mini to work on my BB since I purchased it about 3 weeks ago. I've downloaded both the 3rd and 4th version and I keep getting the same error message "internet connection failed". I've spoken with tech support for my provider and they told me they had no reason or solution for me. They said it might be because I'm running the OS 4.2.2.176 does anyone have any idea?? Please help

02-19-08 03:27 PM
    salesse, refer to JRSCCivic's post, he seems to know what he's talking about.
    02-19-08 03:52 PM
    Not the response I was wanting, but I appreciate the feedback nonetheless. Thanks to those that took time to respond, it is appreciated.

As far as Firefox on BB, that'd be interesting. I have used FF for a longtime and really like it; however, I have to say the later versions have become more and more unstable for me for some reason. I'd hope a mobile version wouldn't be so enhanced it caused quirks and bugs to occur. Hehe, tabbed browsing on a BB...that's how you know you're a true geek...where do I sign up? LOL
    02-19-08 11:57 PM
    Hehe, tabbed browsing on a BB...that's how you know you're a true geek...where do I sign up? LOL
    Yeah, cuz the screen's not small enough as it is now.
    02-20-08 09:25 AM
    Just downloaded and installed Opera Mini 4 on my BB 8830 WE no problem and I have the most up to date 4.2.2.176 OS.
    Works awsome, so much better than the BB Browser :0)
    02-20-08 09:37 AM
    sorry to keep posting...didnt mean to upset anyone because I AM NEW AT THIS. i have not messed around with any of the APN settings. guess ill just try to find the other post JRSCCivic98 already answered. im not exactly sure how to do a reload or backup/wipe/restore.
    02-20-08 10:24 AM
    Yeah, cuz the screen's not small enough as it is now.
    It might be like: Menu Key > Show Tabs > *Scroooooll* > Click > *tabs hidden again*

That'd be nice!
    02-20-08 11:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD