I just got my blackberry delievered from someone off ebay yesterday so Im extremely new to this whole thing.

First, my email messages from hotmail are sent to my sms inbox. I never once even put in my email address so unless it was transfered over from my old phone (I did the transfer service at the verizon store) Im not sure how it got there. The emails are really plain, just black text no links, etc. How can I get full html emails and things so I can actually reply and read them? Also, How do I seperate these two boxes or change the email settings? I tried to go to email settings and input my email and password but it keeps giving me an error. Under SMS settings, it says something about email inbox and sms inbox being either combined or seperate so I put in seperate but its still together.

2) What is the difference between SMS text and Messages? I have two inboxes and I dont understand the difference..

3) Im used to things not being so plain. How do I make things look better? Everything seems to mostly be just black text and it tends to run together quite a bit.

Ok I think thats all for right now... thanks for any help!
    04-18-08 05:13 PM
    1) you should have a BIS account likely something like verizon.blackberry.com you can setup your e-mail there.

2)you may have the inboxes seperated. but messages is all messages, sms is just texts.

3)not sure what we're talking about....
    04-18-08 05:16 PM
    Hi and welcome.
    04-18-08 05:17 PM
    No, your emails are right where they belong, in the mail Messages folder. All RIM email, for now, is plain text. You get a little better using a third party application:
    Why can't I get HTML Email? - BlackBerryFAQ

Separate them as you described with the setting you mentioned. Pull the battery and reboot the BB if the other folder for SMS does not appear.

2. SMS is the folder for your text messages. Messages is where your email messages will reside.

3. Options > Themes, for one.

Good luck!
    04-18-08 05:20 PM
    Everything is in my SMS box. Nothing goes to my messages
    04-18-08 05:35 PM
    I feel like an ***** but I cant get the battery door off lol any tips? I dont want to break it
    04-18-08 05:40 PM
    Do not press on the silver square on the back and try to slide down. Everyone makes that mistake. Just put 4 fingers lengthwise on the against the back door and slide it towards the bottom of the BB while applying a little pressure so your fingers don't slip. If you have big hands, use less fingers. The trick is to have enough fingers to provide equal drag on the entire back of the battery cover. Just slide it down.... kind of like you're holding a deck of cards in one hand while sliding one card off the back of the deck downwards with the other (4 fingers on the card). Hasn't failed me yet and it works every time.
    04-18-08 07:29 PM
    Do not pres hard it will break, my cover bends.

Good luck and welcome!!
    04-18-08 07:38 PM
    I got the battery out, but the SMS messages and the email messages still arent seperate. Everything is just in my SMS box.
    04-19-08 02:03 AM
    I have the same issue where I do NOT have a separate folder for text messages they all go to the messages folder, this folder has all of my email messages as well. However each email account also has its own separate folder, not so for text messages. Could this be a verizon issue?
    04-19-08 05:26 AM
    To separate Email from SMS messages, get into one of messages folders and press the menu key. Select:

Options -> General Options

Scroll to "SMS and Email boxes" and change it to Separate.

I am not sure if this is an option of the Verizon 8830 but it is on my Alltel 8830.

That will separate the SMS messages from the Email Messages. You will see another folder appear for SMS Messages only.
    04-19-08 05:55 AM
    Thank you very much.
    04-19-08 07:28 AM
    It is an option on Verizon's 8830, I have it. I turned it off, I think it is so much easier to have them in all 1 place. Just my opinion.
    04-19-08 07:35 AM
    Welcome to CB!!!!
    04-19-08 02:03 PM
    To separate Email from SMS messages, get into one of messages folders and press the menu key. Select:

Options -> General Options

Scroll to "SMS and Email boxes" and change it to Separate.

I am not sure if this is an option of the Verizon 8830 but it is on my Alltel 8830.

That will separate the SMS messages from the Email Messages. You will see another folder appear for SMS Messages only.

I did change it to seperate. I have a messages box and an SMS messages box. However all emails and SMS texts are going to the same SMS box. The only thing that goes to my messages box is missed call notifications.

How can I change my email? I went to email settings but it just gives me an error when I put in my email and password. Am I supposed to put in my personal email (a hotmail email) or a special one?
    04-20-08 03:22 AM
    ok I see that for the email to work it cant be a free hotmail one.

so why is it Im getting messages sent to my phone from my email? It only shows the subject, I cant read anything. I didnt input any email information in the phone so I assume that when Verizon transfered all my information from my old phone to the blackberry that it set it up somehow. So how do I get it off?
    04-20-08 03:27 AM
    There is a generic Messages folder where all messages can be seen from whether they are SMS or email. To view messages that are for a specific email address or SMS text message you need to view them in the appropriate folder that was created for the email address or the SMS text message folder.
    04-27-08 10:02 AM
    welcome to craaackberry.
    04-27-08 10:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD