Hey all,
    I just traded my Q for a BB 8830 with Verizon. So far I really like it. Although it doesn't seem as loud (ringer) as my Q was. I "think" I have it set to High. Also, where can I create an audio sound for new emails? Right now it's just mute I believe. Is there anyway to crank the ringer volume? Thanks!

10-12-07 11:58 AM
    The ringer volume is low on the BB unfortunately, but if you go Advanced Options under your profiles you can make sure you have it set to Loud. The same for your alert - Advanced Options - you can set a tone for SMS, Emails, Phone Ringer etc.

Welcome to CB!
    10-12-07 12:03 PM
    Hello,

Fellow Q convert here. I think you will like the 8830.
    Go to PROFILE icon,
    Scroll all the way down and select ADVANCED,
    Select on the profile you want to change (ie: NORMAL),
    Select on whatever option you want to change (sms, email, tasks, ect...)
    From here you should be able to choose various notification or ringer sounds.

Good luck.
    10-12-07 12:09 PM
    You can also try this little pack I made up for ringtones. You can increase the base volume with the MP3Gain. This has worked for all of my tones in my phone and I am more than satisfied with the volume of my ringtones, emails, text. Even though the 8830 is quiet you can tweak em to make them louder by default

Here's the pack:
    http://www.masterofyourcomputer.com/Ringtoneedit.zip
    10-12-07 12:14 PM
    Wow, thanks for the quick responses. This looks like a good place to come for info. I'll be hangin' here often I think.

Gatsu, thanks for the file - I'll check it out.

What's weird is that if I listen to one of my mp3's in the media player, it plays really loud, it's just the ringer that doesn't. Same speaker - so who knows. I'll try these suggestions. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by insimbi; 10-12-07 at 12:30 PM.
    10-12-07 12:26 PM
    Welcome insimbi, I switched from the Q to the 8830 back in May. I had the same problem as you and many others with the ringtone volume. Since I was used to the default Windows ringtone on the Q which I had extended in length, I put it on my 8830. At first it too wasn't loud enough so I cranked up the gain using Audacity and now it is perfect for me. In case your interested you can find it here:

Free file hosting by Savefile.com
    10-12-07 07:18 PM
    If you just got your 8830 from VZW check your sotware version. (go to "Options" "About") I bought mine two weeks ago and it had older software in it. If you don't have 4.2.2.148 download it as soon as you can. There are a couple of fixes you'll want. Also it increased the volume a little. Most of my downloaded ring tones are louder than the preloaded tones. That was my fix for volume. Enjoy...
    10-13-07 10:46 AM
    Hey mcb I just checked and I have 4.2.2.66. How do I update the O/S? Do I get the update from VZW or RIM?
    10-13-07 10:59 AM
    Get it from VZW
    10-13-07 11:08 AM
    I agree with the Audacity route. Free download and you can adjust any ringtone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-07 12:35 PM
    welcome aboard..Pearl User here
    10-13-07 12:52 PM
    Hey mcb I just checked and I have 4.2.2.66. How do I update the O/S? Do I get the update from VZW or RIM?
    Definitly the VZW website. You can search this forum for a link. After you upgrade go back and check your personal settings. They don't back up and restore properly. It's pretty straight forward though. Good luck.
    10-13-07 03:01 PM
    I just came from a Razr to the 8830 and I like it very much.

I do have the same problem with the volume. I had to use the calypso notifier to hear it loud enough.

Is there a way to have the screen light up when a call or message comes in or do I have a wrong setting somewhere?

Thanks, Brian
    10-13-07 03:08 PM
    Hey all,
    I just traded my Q for a BB 8830 with Verizon. So far I really like it. Although it doesn't seem as loud (ringer) as my Q was. I "think" I have it set to High. Also, where can I create an audio sound for new emails? Right now it's just mute I believe. Is there anyway to crank the ringer volume? Thanks!

I have the Q right now and am thinking of switching. I am fed up with it always having to be reset, and the constant hanging. Are you happy that you switched? Were you able to use the same data plan you had with the Q?

Storm
    10-14-07 09:03 PM
    I have the Q right now and am thinking of switching. I am fed up with it always having to be reset, and the constant hanging. Are you happy that you switched? Were you able to use the same data plan you had with the Q?

Storm
    It isn't the same data plan technically but it costs the same if you have the unlimited data plan. I may be one of the exceptions but my Q was just as stable as my 8830 and I had the Q customized a lot. The real advantage of the 8830 is the Blackberry email system, I could never get push email on my Q which drove me to Blackberry.
    10-15-07 02:14 PM
    So, if I buy a 8830 off eBay can I activate it on
    online with my current unlimited plan?

Storm

10-15-07 04:29 PM
    So, if I buy a 8830 off eBay can I activate it on
    online with my current unlimited plan?

Storm

As long as the ESN is clean. Ask the seller for the ESN/MEID and call Sprint/VZW or your CDMA carrier and ask them to pull up that ESN/MEID to make sure it isn't blacklisted. Also, you may need a BB plan too.
    10-15-07 07:44 PM
    As long as the ESN is clean. Ask the seller for the ESN/MEID and call Sprint/VZW or your CDMA carrier and ask them to pull up that ESN/MEID to make sure it isn't blacklisted. Also, you may need a BB plan too.
    Thanks much!

Storm
    10-15-07 08:01 PM
    I have also just purchased the 8830 and I am new to the BB world. I have Verizon as my provider and I have just come across this site and all of the information. WOW. The 2 things I thought would be nice are the GPS, gone and potenitally MSN Live Messenger to chat with friends and spouse. Well I was surprised when MsN would not install. I know I should buy a BB for my spouse. Are there any other Verizon surprises or a list of them so i can get prepared. I am getting ready to beat up my Corporate account guy so i figure I would ask
    10-17-07 07:17 PM
    hi - i was hopin u could help me - i d/led the zip file but idk how to use it =( please advise.. thanks in advance!
    10-17-07 08:39 PM
    ex Q user here. had my 8830 for 2 days and i love it, but im aslo pretty upset about the Ring Tone Volume being low for a loud setting...i cranked the volume up with mp3trim and as others have mention, while in media player its very loud but when set as ring tone is low to almost half of its orig. vol. =( i hope there is a fix out there that i can use with alltel and get this fixed.
    11-17-07 04:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD