Hi everybody in Crackberry land,

I have a Blackberry 8830 World Edition on Sprint PCS.

I have a very fully featured plan with everything, even the $5 extra fee to have unlimited roaming.

In the past on other cell phones with Sprint, I would manually activate the roaming option and my phone would switch over to Verizon, Alltel, Revol, etc....This was very cool when the Sprint service was not very strong. Also the building penetration performance of Verizons' service was much better than Sprint. I could walk into the middle of my house on Verizon and not cut out like on Sprint.

I have set the Blackberry 8830 Network Selection mode to "Automatic" . My dailly drive to work is filled with dead zones on Sprint, while having no dead zones on Verizon. It would be nice to roam over to Verizon to not lose valuable talk time with work. Not once has my 8830 ever switched over to a roaming mode.

The only 2 options in the Network Selection mode are "Automatic" and "Home". The Blackberry manual says there should be another setting for "Manual". No such setting appears.

I have called Sprint and they have no answers for me, they told me to pull my battery out and then reboot the phone. Obviously that does not fix the issue.

How can I get my phone to roam? Does your 8830 on Sprint ever roam?

Anybody have any answers?

Thanks,

George Cee from Cleveland Ohio
    10-24-07 05:01 PM
    I have the same phone as you and my phone does roam when on the automatic setting.. However when it does, I have a blue triangle icon that appears on the screen.
    10-24-07 05:59 PM
    Are you using Sprint PCS as your carrier?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-07 08:22 AM
    I used to have Sprint and the Automatic setting would make your phone search for the best and closest tower for signal strength. That is why my batteries would not last long because it was constantly search for better signal.
    10-25-07 09:26 AM
    Are you using Sprint PCS as your carrier?

Yes, sprint is my carrier.
    10-25-07 10:11 AM
    Upgraded,

If I go to options and then mobile network, the only available settings on my 8830 are Automatic or Home.

Do you have an option to manually select Roam?

My unit has never switched over to roaming, even though it's set on automatic and I pay for the Roaming feature on my plan.

Thanks for your attention,

George Cee
    10-25-07 02:47 PM
    Yes, I have mine also set on Automatic. I dont have an option for roaming. It just automatically switches over to another provider when the Sprint signal is gone.
    I have the same plan as you,
    When I go to Options, Mobile Network, my Network mode says 1XEV. - Does yours say this also?
    10-25-07 09:11 PM
    Yes, I have mine also set on Automatic. I dont have an option for roaming. It just automatically switches over to another provider when the Sprint signal is gone.
    I have the same plan as you,
    When I go to Options, Mobile Network, my Network mode says 1XEV. - Does yours say this also?
    Upgraded,

Mine also says 1XEV for Network Mode. The Network selection mode is set at Automatic and the mobile network is Sprint PCS.

Unfortunately, I never go into roaming mode ever. My old Samsung. LG and Samsung Sprint PCS phones would always switch over to Roaming in the Sprint Dead zones. This 8830 will not do it.

I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do. Anybody have any suggestions.

The Blackberry help screens in the phone and the manuals on the Blackberry website all talk about how you can manually select the roaming mode on the 8830. This feature in the menu's must be disabled by Sprint.

This sucks, anybody have any idea's.

Have a great night,

George Cee from Cleveland

10-25-07 09:57 PM
    Well here is your answer. When you upgraded your phone to 4.5 it removed (downgraded) your ability to goto ROAM ONLY. And Sprint phones are set up so that as long as you have even a non-functional trace of their service the phone will not roam.

02-17-10 08:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD