Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I've been searching all morning for others who are experiencing the same thing to prove that I'm not nuts. I have been having the same ring volume issues as everyone with my 8830. Previously, I had set my call and alert volumes to "loud" and still usually missed all of them. However, yesterday I was sitting at work and when I had an email come in and the alert was screaming! Scared the **** out of me actually. Then later in the day I got a phone call, and it was also very loud. It also affected the alarm volume as well. I had to go into my profile and change all sounds from "loud" to "low" actually, which is still much louder than "loud" used to be.

There are other changes as well:

When I charged it last night, the green LED didn't come on (as it always had even though I had it set to "off").

On the home screen, it no longer gives me a pop up over the icon (i.e. "help", "search", "set up bluetooth", etc.)

What is going on? Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy with the changes, but haven't been able to find anything online discussing recent upgrades. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks,
    beja
    01-25-08 10:36 AM
    Have you done an OS update lately?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-08 12:09 PM
    Have you done an OS update lately?

Nope, that's not it. I haven't done a thing to it since getting it two months ago.
    01-25-08 12:51 PM
    You are probably crazy.

01-25-08 04:20 PM
    Do a battery pull to make it revert back. LOL

01-25-08 04:41 PM
    Funny this happened to me exactly the same way when my 8830 suddenly became so loud when receiving calls. However, it only lasted one day. Today it went back to normal tiny ring volume.

Thanks for bringing this up...
    01-25-08 09:05 PM
    Beja... It also happened to me yesterday at one end of the library in the school where I work. The BB was inside my purse, inside of a file cabinet in a partitioned area, when the stock "tune_calypso" ring went off SOOO loud, that I heard some of the kids (in the middle of the library) say, "What was THAT?!" (meanwhile, I practically broke my neck to hurry up and silence it).

The sudden surge sure didn't affect the barely audible mp3 ring later that evening!
    01-25-08 09:19 PM
    Yes, I had the same thing happen for about a day on vacation in Aruba! It was EXTREMELY loud and I have no idea why or how it happened.
    01-27-08 11:14 AM
    I noticed that about mine too. It rang last night and I was like holy crap thats loud. I'm not complaining though.
    01-27-08 03:16 PM
    ??? lol What you guys drinking.... I want some of it....
    01-27-08 04:17 PM
    I don't know about drinking, but they are certainly smoking something.
    01-27-08 11:57 PM
    Glad to see that others have experienced the same thing. It's been four days now, and my 8830 is still screaming! From reading your posts, I know that it may not last, but it's certainly nice in the meantime.

beja
    01-28-08 09:38 AM
    Pull the battery, see what it does. Realisticly speaking, there's no reason for this to happen if no updates were done to the phone. No OTA update from VZW can control this.... unless the ringer volume is controlled by the MM Volume values in the Qualcomm chipset, in which case it could be changed by OTA *228 programming. However, if you didn't even do that, then there's no reason for this to happen. It's more then likely that you've just switched to a different ringtone (that's louder) of did something else prior to this change. Things don't just happen without a "cause". That's the nature of causality.
    01-28-08 09:47 AM
    Pull the battery, see what it does. Realisticly speaking, there's no reason for this to happen if no updates were done to the phone. No OTA update from VZW can control this.... unless the ringer volume is controlled by the MM Volume values in the Qualcomm chipset, in which case it could be changed by OTA *228 programming. However, if you didn't even do that, then there's no reason for this to happen. It's more then likely that you've just switched to a different ringtone (that's louder) of did something else prior to this change. Things don't just happen without a "cause". That's the nature of causality.
    I agree with your logic, hence the post. However, my ringtones have not changed. I have done absolutely nothing to the phone, since I set my preferences, ringtones, etc. two months ago. This is why this whole situation has struck me as odd. Are we sure that there have been no OTA updates from Verizon, as I do remember the hourglass grinding at length (without my browsing, receiving email, etc.) the day before the changes occured. It's the only thing that makes sense at this point, as I assure you there were no user introduced changes.
    01-28-08 09:53 AM
    A simple change of ringtone on my behalf would not have brought about additional changes such as the absence of the green LED while charging and the absence of pop-up titles on the home screen icons.
    01-28-08 09:54 AM
    The green LED is only on if your BB is shut off during charging. The missing of titles on the icons is most likely a stability issue. Do a battery pull. If the phone's OS is unstable, it could cause issues such as these. A BB is a small computer, contrary to belief, you have to reboot the sob sometimes.
    01-28-08 09:56 AM
    Same thing happened to me, starting Saturday.

Earlier, I was in my car on my way to Barnes & Noble. My phone rang, and I could barely hear it, as usual. About an hour later, it rang (I had made no changes), and it was so loud I didn't know what it was at first. It was in the holster, in my purse!

Yesterday, my phone (8830) was again in the holster in my purse, and I got an email. The notification sound (different that my ringtone) was so loud it startled my 22yo son who was in the next room watching a movie. He yelled, "Holy crap - what was that?!" It was LOUD! I had to switch all my volume settings from loud to medium. I LOVE it!

Again, at work this morning, I got an email (no calls yet today) and the notification sound was very loud. Loud enough to make me jump. I've never had volume like this.
    01-28-08 12:06 PM
    Have you all replaced your hearing aid batteries lately? My mom always says that makes her phone louder.

01-28-08 03:48 PM
    It seems like that should be true, there's no apparent reason for this to happen. But it IS happening. While things don't just happen without a cause, we don't always know what the cause is. Apparently it's being caused by something other than user input. I was traveling in my car when I got a call and my ringtone was very quiet (as always). I didn't touch my phone again until it rang again at the bookstore about an hour later. Never even took it out of my purse/holster. When it rang at the bookstore, it was VERY loud. Too loud. I actually had to set it to medium, and now it's just right. Medium is now noticeably louder than loud was before. This all started Saturday afternoon, it's now Monday night and it's still loud.

I don't understand it either. But my understanding isn't a requirement of the event happening. Whether we understand it or not, it's a fact.

I'm just going to appreciate that I can finally hear my phone ~ I was missing some important calls because I wasn't hearing it ring. No missing it now!
    01-28-08 07:12 PM
    One of you with loud ringtones, please take your battery out and put it back in after 5 seconds of no power. This will not harm your BB in any way, but will do a cold reboot of the phone. Once this is done let us all know if your ringtone volume is still loud.

BTW, do you remember driving to the bookstore? Because if you don't then aliens nabbed you and replaced your 8830 with a new model that actually has some volume. :P
    01-28-08 11:28 PM
    First off..I am extremely new to BB in every aspect of the word..I purchased 8830we 2 days ago and I am officially addicted!..Prior to this purchase I was a Treo freak (I am ashamed *head down)...so hello to all and thank you very much for making CB my new favorite forum EVER!

Secondly..I hope I'm not jinxing myself with what I am about to type but here it goes anyway...I have read through a lot of the threads here to assist me with deleting unwanted applications and adding a few new ones etc. and I have not encountered any of the faults mentioned anywhere...including the volume..mine has been super loud since I took it out of the box at the store and I have pulled the battery a few times since I purchased it to make sure all keeps working well..and it does!

I know something will happen soon and I know that I will be on here asking for assistance but until then keep the threads coming so that I can learn as much about my new baby as possible. THANKS!
    01-29-08 12:14 AM
    One of you with loud ringtones, please take your battery out and put it back in after 5 seconds of no power. This will not harm your BB in any way, but will do a cold reboot of the phone. Once this is done let us all know if your ringtone volume is still loud.

BTW, do you remember driving to the bookstore? Because if you don't then aliens nabbed you and replaced your 8830 with a new model that actually has some volume. :P
    Of course pulling the battery and putting it back in won't harm the phone. But if you're saying that it may lower my volume, why would I want to do it? If your phone's volume was suddenly (finally!) improved, would you want it to return to it's former quiet self?

On the way to the bookstore, I wasn't driving, I was actually in the passenger seat. I remember it very well, and the phone was actually a topic of conversation. I told my husband (driving) to call my cell and listen to the ringtone. My point was to show him how unreasonably quiet it is. He called, and he couldn't even hear it at all. I had to hold it near my ear to hear it. I mean, it was REALLY quiet ~ you know, like a typical 8830. Like I said earlier, I've been missing calls because of the nearly nonexistent ringtone volume. After I demonstrated the lack of usable ringtone, I put the phone back in the holster, and back in my purse. He dropped me off at Barnes & Noble for a couple hours while he went shopping for tools.
    When I left the bookstore, I stood outside waiting for my husband to pick me up. My purse was on the sidewalk, and I was pacing about a 10 feet either side of my purse. It rang, and at first I didn't even recognize it, because it was SO loud. I hadn't touched it since I'd had it out in the car a couple hours earlier. I definitely remember the details.

BTW, we're not talking a little louder here. We're talking about a very significant increase in volume. It's not something you have to listen for, and wonder if it's louder. It knocks your socks off. It's like going from Mute to Wake The Dead. Well, maybe not wake the dead, but really loud. Loud enough that I had to switch from loud to medium.

Another thing to add to the mix. It seems to be an overall volume issue, not just a ringtone issue. My alerts are louder, too. My message alert is also so loud now that I had to turn it down. I actually set it from loud to low. Even medium was too loud. I know, now it makes even less sense. I'm not offering any theories, just saying what happened. I agree that it's weird.

Also - the last poster (dpg2103) mentioned that his/her phone is brand new and is plenty loud. My phone is also new. I had to return my old 8830 last week because it started having serious issues, which were verified by the Verizon tech. So I got this phone Friday afternoon. It did have the quiet ringtone when I got it, but the next day it suddenly turned into a tone monster.

I'm just sayin'.........

Edited to add ~ there are 6 of us in this thread that have experienced this change in volume. The OP also mentioned that it effected the volume of alerts as well, not just ringtones (same as my experience). And except for the poster who had it happen while in Aruba, it happened to all of us on Saturday. I think dpg2103 also purchased his phone on Saturday, for whatever that's worth. Just trying to put everything together.
    Last edited by DLRStudio; 01-29-08 at 05:09 AM.
    01-29-08 04:53 AM
    Edited by original poster.
    Last edited by beja; 01-29-08 at 09:17 AM.
    01-29-08 09:07 AM
    Of course pulling the battery and putting it back in won't harm the phone. But if you're saying that it may lower my volume, why would I want to do it? If your phone's volume was suddenly (finally!) improved, would you want it to return to it's former quiet self?
    If you're not willing to pull the battery then you're living in a fantacy world. If phone instability is to blame for the sudden wacky high volume change on the phone then IT'S NOT FIXED!!! Pull the battery and report back. Giving people false hope on "unverified findings" is not good.

I also replaced my phone a little while back and messed with the ringer yesterday. I can say that the stock ringtones are a little louder then I remember, but anything else still blows. Do I consider it a fix? No, because NOT ALL RINGTONES work at the same volume. It's also important to know if you changed your ringtone while in the car or changed anything else on it while in the car... what ringtone are you using anyway? You stated that you didn't recognize the ring when it was on the ground in your purse in the holster. Had you or your husband perhaps changed ringtones to something else? Did you know that there was an update to the OS a little while ago that boosted ringtone volume on the phone "while holstered" to help with the volume issue? (all sounds, not just ringtones) If you hadn't kept your old phone updated for the OS releases it's possible you never had this change implemented and when you got your new phone it ALWAYS comes with the latest OS if it was a VZW replacement. That being said, you wouldn't have noticed a change in volume while you showed your husband the low ringer in the car.... was the phone in the holster or pulled out? I guess what I mean to say is... experiment. Things don't just go "loud" for no reason. There's no devine intervention here gang. Let us know what you find.
    01-29-08 10:11 AM
    What fantasy? The phone is much louder. That isn't a fantasy, it's reality. It only needs to be fixed if something is wrong with it. It seems to be better, not as if something is wrong. Unverified? The verification is that I'm hearing it very distinctly, and I'm not the only one. Others have heard that my phone is much louder, and others here have reported the same experience, happening on the same day.

No - I didn't change anything while in the car. Nothing. Not the ringtone, not the volume, nothing.

I'm using Danny Boy (Carly Simon) from TuneUsIn. The same ringtone that it was set to while in the car. I haven't changed it. At first it was very low, now it's very loud. My husband never touched the phone. Yes, I did know about the updated OS, and that has no bearing, because when it rang in the car it wasn't holstered. My old phone had the same OS as the new one. The new phone had a VERY low volume when I received it. I received this phone on Friday afternoon. The ringtone was very low. I installed the Danny Boy ringtone Friday night. The volume was still very low. If anything, lower. It's just a voice, no instruments. I was going to change it to something louder, but hadn't gotten around to it yet. Subsequently, it was still on the very low Danny Boy ringtone Saturday while in the car. It's still on this ringtone. I have changed the alerts since the volume increase. It's very loud for every alert I've tried. I'd listened to them before, deciding which I wanted to use. They were pretty quiet. Like I said, the alert now is so loud I had to change the volume to low. It's still quite loud.

In the car, the phone was unholstered. I had pulled it out and had it in my hand to have my husband call and listen to the unbelievably low ringtone. It rang, I ignored the call, put it back in the holster. At the bookstore, I didn't take it out until it rang when I was outside. At that time it was in the holster. It was VERY loud. What I meant by not recognizing it when it rang, isn't that it had a different ringtone, rather that it was so loud, that for a minute I didn't realize it was my phone. It's never sounded like that before.

You're right. Things don't just go loud for no reason. I'm not arguing that. I don't think it's divine intervention. I just don't know what the reason is, and apparently, no one else does either. Sometimes not knowing the reason doesn't mean that there isn't one.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, just stating what's happened.

So here goes, I'll pull the battery, call my 8830 from my work phone and see what happens. I'll let you know. Thanks for keeping up the questions. I'm curious, too. It is pretty weird.
    01-29-08 11:24 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD