I have a BB 8830 WE from Sprint. My USB jack has stopped working. It works to charge the handset, but if I plug it into a computer, the handset doesn't recognize that it's connected (except to start charging) and the computer just gives an error message that it's and unrecognized USB device. I've taken it to a BB repair place and they confirmed my suspicion that it is indeed a USB jack hardware problem and the only solution is to get a new motherboard or get a new BB (they replaced just the USB jack to see if that might solve the problem, and it did not). That's all fine and well, but I use my BB primarily for business and I have TONS of contacts, appointments, e-mails, tasks, notes, and other data that I cannot afford to lose. I do have bluetooth on my laptop, but it seems this model can't connect via bluetooth (except for a headset). We do not have a BES at my office, so I can't back everythig up that way either.

I realize I could e-mail contacts to myself, and at least that's something, but the sheer volume of contacts means that is not a very attractive solution. And as far as my calendar, I'm not even sure I could go through and pick out every appointment, recurring reminder, birthday etc. that are sometimes scheduled for up to a year in advance.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to how I can somehow find a way to back up my data without using the USB? Is it possible to somehow take the "hard-drive" out and put it in another BB much like you can do sometimes to rescue a computer? I don't have the skills to do that, but if it's possible, I'm sure I can find someone who does. I'm willing to go to extremes if that's what it takes -- this BB is practically worthless at this point anyway, so disemboweling it wouldn't bother me one bit (in fact, after all of this I might actually enjoy doing so ).

Thanks in advance for any help! I appreciate it!
    10-08-08 01:25 PM
    I am having exactly the same problem - except my device won't charge either
    Has anyone replied to your request for help?
    Thanks
    10-08-08 07:05 PM
    I am not an expert but am tninking you are out of luck. Seems that USB ports can be the achilles heel on our BB's. I am going to order one for a spare. I have some "sparkie" friends that could install for me. I use my Curve for work and can ill afford to be without for even a couple of days.
    I really hope someone has better news for you.
    10-08-08 07:16 PM
    Wellll... I've heard of some people that used this place... No personal experience with em. Sorta depends on how much the data is worth to ya I guess...

BBrepairshop.com - BlackBerry Repair Services for BlackBerry 8800 & 8830
    10-08-08 11:12 PM
    Is it possible to get a motherboard (PC/Main board) for a blackberry...8830 to be exact. Had the same USB problem, end up buying a new blackberry. The old one is still sitting there, would love to replace the board. As long as I can get a board with a working USB & Headphone port.
    10-09-08 04:09 AM
    Dunno... But for 80 bucks, the place I mentioned will fix it. Can't imagine getting a MB for much less than that, let alone replacing it yourself would be a pain.
    10-09-08 06:35 AM
    Definitely the weak point charging through the data port. Good use of space, dangerous if it breaks! They should include a charging dock.......
    10-09-08 06:47 AM
    i have been having a nightmare with 8320's from tmobile. bought mine a month ago and i am on my 4th phone and this one just had the port die today.

i started looking into it and it appears the wire pins in the port either wear down or bend out of place VERY easily. i began looking at a bunch of usb generic cable here at work and found one that has a slightly thicker contact pad than the factory cable. i plugged it in and things began to work just fine again.

i am going to try to fix this port tonight when i get home <if thats even possible> if not i am not sure if i am going to have this phone replaced yet again or just go with a different phone all together.

for the record up until it failed ONLY the factory cable and charger have been used on this phone.
    10-21-08 12:19 PM
    Can't you transfer using BlueTooth?

That's if your bluetooth device on your computer supports that though.
    10-24-08 11:02 AM
    Sprint doesn't offer insurance on your phone? Thats one thing I've always liked about VZW, no matter how much the phone is or what category of device it is, they will offer insurance. If your carrier doesn't offer insurance get some renter's insurance.
    10-24-08 11:22 AM
    I know have the same problem. I dont mind getting a spare battery charger, but not sure i can wait that long if i have to order off line. It appears that my usb jack is loose, and just slides side to side. I should have had insurence on the phone.
    10-24-08 11:30 AM
    Hi everyone, off the subject, I'm having trouble editing my password for my work email and haven't bee getting my emails now.

I go to email settings, and there's only a spot for new users and a place to login. nothing that offers a spot to edit.

I'm lost. Anyone know?
    10-24-08 11:35 AM
    Hi everyone, off the subject, I'm having trouble editing my password for my work email and haven't bee getting my emails now.

I go to email settings, and there's only a spot for new users and a place to login. nothing that offers a spot to edit.

I'm lost. Anyone know?
    May want to start a new thread.
    10-24-08 12:03 PM

I'm lost. Anyone know?

Please don't hijack posts like this. You can create a new thread in whichever forum is appropriate...
    10-24-08 12:05 PM
    since I dont have ins. on my phone.. stupid me, I am going to get a spare battery charger so I can have one battery in and one charging.. anyone know of a solution
    10-24-08 12:20 PM
    Sorry, I'm new to the site and forums in general. Please don't refer to someone simply utilizing/learning the site as "hijacking". I'm so sorry I'm not at your level of expertise. When I figure out what a thread is, I will.
    10-24-08 01:13 PM
    It is pricey (between $50-$99) but could be something to look into. It charges via those two contact on the side of the device (left side at the bottom) It would mean the end of syncing with a computer for contacts and stuff (because your port is dead) BUT will keep you from having to remove that battery cover all the time to change batteries. Plus you can charge a spare battery at the same time

Good luck
    10-24-08 01:28 PM
    Sprint just replaced mine for the usb being broke since I had the insurance. No questions asked.
    10-30-08 07:18 AM
    It could be warrantable as a manufacturers defect if the phone is less than a year old.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-08 11:21 AM
    How do you determine how old the phone is? I bought my 8830WE off ebay and it has worked very well until the usb just started working sporadically two days ago.....
    10-31-08 11:24 PM
    Ugh...unfortunatly I am now with you guys. Mine just started acting stupid today.
    11-01-08 09:15 AM
    I think I fixed my jack. I took a needle and pushed the pins up in the jack and it works.....for now that is.
    11-01-08 10:33 AM
    Sorry, I'm new to the site and forums in general. Please don't refer to someone simply utilizing/learning the site as "hijacking". I'm so sorry I'm not at your level of expertise. When I figure out what a thread is, I will.
    Hi..LisaShea...welcome to CB...but hijacking a thread is a Big NO NO as they say....its actually in the rules..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-08 11:21 AM
    I have the same problem w my curve. Just bought a new charge/usb port on ebay for six bucks. Does anyone know how to change it?
    12-04-08 05:39 PM
    I have the same problem w my curve. Just bought a new charge/usb port on ebay for six bucks. Does anyone know how to change it?
    Regrettably you cannot change the USB port yourself. It requires surface mount soldering techniques and unless you have the specilaized tools to hand, you are out of luck. A regular soldering iron will just not do the job - I know, I tried and I am very, very good with an iron having used one for over 40 years.

The only thing that I can suggest is that you send your phone to BlackBerry Repair Shop - A full line of RIM BlackBerry repair services and BlackBerry parts for all BlackBerry handheld devices who fixed my phone when it needed specailized hardware help.
    12-04-08 05:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD