I just had to get my 3rd 8830 as the first two failed- they no longer took a charge when plugged in for over 24 hours. The radio would turn off and when I tried to turn on the wireless connection it would say "Battery too low for radio use"

VZ replaced both phones after a quick check to verify that it was not charging.

Anyone having similar issues- am I doing something wrong?
    11-27-07 12:37 AM
    Perhaps the charger is faulty which is causing the battery to mess up. IDK that is merely a guess. Did they exchange batteries? This seems more like a problem with battery or charger or charging port. That would be my guess
    11-27-07 01:28 AM
    Hmm, honestly I have no real explanation for it, other then the fact the Verizon has gone and messed with a perfectly good thing, that being the BlackBerry OS, all the restrictions and lock downs they have in place for those devices, seems to cause nothing but trouble for people, just yesterday at work I spoke to 3 people who said they left Verizon to switch to AT&T just for the curve, not because it looked better or anything, just purely on the basis that the BB OS on Verizon is buggy as sin.
    11-27-07 02:36 AM
    They tested the charger and it worked so the problem was isolated to the phone itself. Both times they gave me a new phone but insisted I had to keep the same battery.

I have had the new phone for two days and so far it is holding up.

Has anyone else had an 8830 fail?

I still would like a definitive answer about whether chargers are interchangeable as well from any Mini-USB device.

As for the software- I agree it does get to be a problem and I end up doing a reboot. I had a lot of trouble with Gmail and Google maps, but I am going to try the new versions- particularly now that it has the location capability from cell towers. Now if someone can just figure out how to get access the built in GPS!
    11-28-07 08:46 PM
    I'm on my second one since August. Just last week, my 8830 quit connecting to the network, and I couldn't make outgoing calls (it would say that a call was in progress). I could receive calls and send text messages, however.

I know that Verizon takes its share of knocks on this forum (most of them well deserved) but I have to give them credit; I was in the store less than 30 minutes and walked out with a new phone.

~Chuck
    11-29-07 06:46 AM
    I hope I don't have these issues when I get my 8830. I have to agree with cndean, I have had my share of problems with Verizon but in the end they always seem to come through.
    11-29-07 07:32 AM
    I am on my 2nd 8830 as well since August. The first issue was the charger port and Verizon flat out gave me a brand new one. Now the second one is faulty because of the trackball. It only allows me to scroll and not open items with it.

We cant blame VZ for faulty devices but I will say this they have great customer service.

I am debating on cleaning my ball one last time to see if it works or just requesting a new one. I noticed that since the trackball isnt working a few things have stopped as well. I cant turn on the phone by pressing the button and I cant see my uptime
    11-29-07 11:23 AM
    Ms. Min
    I don't think cleaning the trackball will help with the push issue. The ball basically just pushes down a small metal arm that contacts the circuit board below it which should work no matter how dirty the ball is. You might take the trackball assembly off the phone and clean the little metal arm contact on the bottom of the assembly. But with your other issues I'd take the phone back.
    11-29-07 05:40 PM
    I had a problem w/ my 8830 and it was a charging issue, whenever I had mine plugged in I couldn't use it because it would just reboot randomly, it was VERY frustrating i'd be on a call and it would go silent and i'd look to see why and the red light would be on screen black and then the hour glass would pop up.

But I bought mine used, the guy said he had no problem but I certainly did. went to the VZW store and the guy said were not supposed to use our phone when its charging, i was like listen pal i've had 3 prior BB devices and i used them all while charging and this is the 1st time i've had this problem.. he looked at my account noticed i activated it a week prior and gave me a brand new 8830 there in the store that day. problem resolved and i've been happy since.
    12-03-07 03:33 AM
    I see a trend here with you Verizon people.
    12-03-07 06:46 AM
    I had a problem w/ my 8830 and it was a charging issue, whenever I had mine plugged in I couldn't use it because it would just reboot randomly, it was VERY frustrating i'd be on a call and it would go silent and i'd look to see why and the red light would be on screen black and then the hour glass would pop up.

But I bought mine used, the guy said he had no problem but I certainly did. went to the VZW store and the guy said were not supposed to use our phone when its charging, i was like listen pal i've had 3 prior BB devices and i used them all while charging and this is the 1st time i've had this problem.. he looked at my account noticed i activated it a week prior and gave me a brand new 8830 there in the store that day. problem resolved and i've been happy since.
    So you got a new BB for a used one...cool.
    12-03-07 06:47 AM
    haha yeah worked out very well for me i was excited.
    12-03-07 04:08 PM
    I am also on my third. The first one had a bad USB port. After about 6 weeks it wouldn't charge or transfer data. The second one rebooted one night when I plugged it in and would never restart after that.

Verizon has been fantastic and provided new devices both times -- the first time in the store and the second time overnight via FedEx.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-07 03:58 PM

going to the VZW for support was your first mistake... the sales reps (and even the in-store support guys) technically don't know a phone from a rock, they're just tryna earn a living... that's why the guy gave u a new one, he couldn't be bothered with actually troubleshooting the problem... time is money

VZW is usually pretty good about making their disgruntled customers happy... although some customers will always be disgruntled, no matter what
    12-04-07 04:21 PM
    what is it with the verizon 8830 users? Did VZ really screw yall's 8830s up that bad? so sad...i love this phone! and i have been a normal clam shell user until now.
    12-04-07 04:44 PM
    what is it with the verizon 8830 users? Did VZ really screw yall's 8830s up that bad? so sad...i love this phone! and i have been a normal clam shell user until now.
    not really... they're just famous for taking advantage of the ignorance of their customers

i have them b/c they provide the most reliable service where i live, and i've been with them for a while

every carrier has their downside, b/c in the end they're all about making dat dolla
    12-04-07 05:01 PM
    Very well said - that is exactly right.
    12-04-07 05:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD