ok..i must b missing something. i tried searching but found nothing.

the mute button on top...is tha supposed to be a master mute button? i press it...but ten the phone still rings when i get a call.

i am coming from a treo whre here was a button on top that mute ALL ringers and make thephone vibrate insteat.

is tere a way to master mute all functions?
    06-26-07 12:40 PM

the mute button on top...is tha supposed to be a master mute button? i press it...but ten the phone still rings when i get a call.

i am coming from a treo whre here was a button on top that mute ALL ringers and make thephone vibrate insteat.

Unfortunately there isn't. You have to go into the profiles section and edit each profile for whether it is in holster/out of holster etc. I just do things like change my profile to "Quiet" when I go to a movie or church. It's set to not do anything, or use "Vibrate" etc.
    06-26-07 03:11 PM
    Yeah, that mute button just mutes the microphone. You'll have to go into pofiles like suggested above to change notification tones.
    06-26-07 05:20 PM
    They really should change that. The programming should be setup so that the OS checks to see if it's in a call to tell whether or not to mute the mic or change the sound profile of the phone. Isn't that more logical?
    06-26-07 09:32 PM
    I have the 8700 and what i have found is if you want to mute the inoming ringer but keep your current profile just roll the trackwheel it will stop the ringing for that call
    06-26-07 09:39 PM
    That doesn't work on the 8100 or 8800 series because there was an issue with people carrying these phones in their pockets and moving the trackball accidentally while in the pocket and never getting any calls because they were constantly being silenced.
    06-26-07 10:02 PM
    Holding down the MUTE key (top of the unit on the right) will change your profile to Vibrate. For some reason seems to sometimes not want to bring it back to Normal profile.
    05-28-08 04:42 PM
    If I hold down my mute key it puts the phone in standby. Does this mean I am unable to receive calls or alerts? What is the point of putting it into standby?
    05-28-08 05:02 PM
    the mute key on top is only for standby and to mute your microphone when you are in the middle of a call. and yes, when you are in standby you can recieve calls. Its so you dont accidentally press keys and call someone while the phone is in your pocket. it also conserves battery life.

i think the idea of "muting" that you guys are talking about can be achieved by holding the caps key, which will change your profile from whatever it is currently to vibrate and vice versa.
    06-05-08 02:27 AM
    The caps key thing doesn't work on my 8830, at least not from the home screen.

Josh
    06-06-08 11:07 AM
    The caps thing won't work on my 8830 either, from the home screen, and like you guys, I have been tripped up by the Mute button. I held it down and the device went into "standby mode," and, of course, it rang five minutes later in my meeting, which was the whole reason I wanted it to be silent. Is there a way you can customize the phone so that the Mute button changes your profile to "quiet?"
    09-16-08 07:06 PM
    When I need to silent the phone I just highlight the speaker on the home screen and press down on trackball then select off. I still think the led flashes depending on the settings.
    09-17-08 10:11 AM
    You can mute a call/text mid ring/alert by pressing the mute button. It silences the ring for the duration of that call.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-08 07:58 PM

On my 8830, when I select profiles, there is an "off" setting that mutes every alarm or vibrate - call, email, etc.
    09-20-08 12:21 AM
    I don't know what I did, but when I was accidentally messing around with my bold, It said "now entering vibrate mode" on the screen, but I cant get it to do it again. I know about profiles, but there is a way to switch between them with a physical key, I just don't know how.
    11-15-08 03:42 PM
    yea i thought it meant the same thing then i realized it only shut down the mic
    11-15-08 06:09 PM
    If you can lock the 8830 with physical keys, I would think you could use a key sequence to put the phone in vibrate.

That would be very helpful like you guys said. Anybody get the "caps" thing to work?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-08 06:32 PM
    Dealing with Profiles was somewhat tedious but it did work. I set mine up as "phone only" then went in and edited the details of "phone only" to vibrate and ring at the lowest volume. Meanwhile, the mute/standby button is a great blessing as it prevents my phone from turning on in my shirt pocket. I think people here are missing that slider switch on Treos that lets you silence everything. Sure, it's less convenient on BB, but you can silence everything if you really want to. I also have my phone automatically turn off at night than turn back on about an hour before I wake up. By having it turn on before I wake up, I'm not sitting around waiting for my emails to show up. The emails I've received overnight are sitting there on my nightstand waiting for me to read them.

I like the function of the mute/standby button as is, but I wouldn't mind if RIM added some logic to toggle ringers to silent if you are not in a call as long as they didn't implement something that made it too easy for me to accidentally change profiles.
    11-16-08 08:42 AM
    Hey, r0k--fancy meeting you over here(Crackberry)! I see you carried your avatar from the other place
    11-16-08 03:45 PM
    Why don't you guys just create a new Profile and set everything to no-viabrate and Mute for sounds. There you go... then just switch to it when you need it. All you do is click on the speaker icon (dependant on theme) and pick that profile when needed. Simple as pie.
    11-16-08 03:55 PM
    got it! hold q on the homescreen of blackberry bold and there you go! it switches from normal to vibrate!
    11-17-08 08:41 PM
    got it! hold q on the homescreen of blackberry bold and there you go! it switches from normal to vibrate!
    thank you, this will be very useful!
    08-18-09 09:32 PM
    On the 9630 you highlight the speaker icon, click on it, (as mentioned above) and then you can select the volume levels including mute and vibrate.
    09-16-09 11:24 PM
    I don't know what I did, but when I was accidentally messing around with my bold, It said "now entering vibrate mode" on the screen, but I cant get it to do it again. I know about profiles, but there is a way to switch between them with a physical key, I just don't know how.
    You probably held down the "#" key. Holding it down switches your phone in and out of vibrate mode.

On another note, does anyone know why my Bold 9700 plays a sound from my ringtone file (the one I just downloaded) when I press the "mute" button on the top multiple times?
    12-04-09 12:48 AM
    I must be really losing it. My 9700 has nothing on the top of it. I have pressed every button. The message reads: in standbymode. Press the Mute key to exit standby mode".

It is in the middle of the screen and I can't do anything to get rid of it. Help Help Help
    05-05-10 08:31 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD