I'm a newbie when it comes to Blackberries, since I just bought my first one which is a Verizon 8830 WE. I've since read a lot of threads on ringtones and am still confused with how to apply all the particular settings on Audacity from other threads on how to make ringtones loud. I've used Audacity and WAV to MP3 Encoder with my old old old phone which was a Motorola V710. IDK if my way really makes a huge diff, but its not bad IMO and won't blow your speakers or have to tweak the settings for each ringtone.

What I did was first download Audacity and WAV to MP3 Encoder.
    I first cut the MP3 song to whatever part I wanted which I like to keep the ringtone around no more than 40 seconds long.
    Sometimes I also add a Fade In and Fade Out under Effect to the beginning and end of the track.
    All you have to do is highlight like 1-2 seconds of the beginning or end and then select Fade In or Fade Out under Effect. It will smooth out the ringtone, especially if its in the middle of the song.
    Then once I get the track just how I want it, I'll goto File -> Export As WAV and save it somewhere where you keep your BB files.
    Then I open up WAV to MP3 Encoder and goto Options -> Change Encoding Properties.
    My current settings are Bitrate @ 128 Kbps - 44,100Khz and Channel Mono.
    I haven't really tried and play with them that much, but if someone finds a better setting to make them a little louder and clearer without sacrificing the small file size. Post it up!
    So once you set it to those click OK.
    You can click Output and select where you want the encoded files to go, I just have a folder for all my finished ringtones I put them in.
    Then just select Add and find your .wav file and it will automatically encode it and put it in whatever Output you specified.

Open up your Desktop Manager, upload and enjoy!

P.S. You have to make sure your Profile (i.e. Normal, Loud, etc.) volume is set to High.
    All you have to do is go to your Profiles icon, then scroll down to Advanced, while on Normal (Active) hit the Blackberry key and select Edit.
    Scroll down to Phone then set the Volume to High on both In and Out of Holster and press the BB Key and save the settings and you should be all set.
    Last edited by jkm8776; 02-19-08 at 11:20 AM.
    02-19-08 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD