First of all, I've read all of the posts re: freeing up memory by deleting sample pictures, themes, etc. but I gather you can only do this if you're working on a PC? Pocketmac (the mac software) doesn't seem to allow anything like this.

SO... my alternative is to buy a memory card, I just wanted to be sure that I can use the memory card to store messages/emails/texts. How do memory cards work? Do they instantly increase the storage capacity of my blackberry, or is it like adding another storage place to store photos, ringtones, etc. (which is really not what I want)?

Help?

Thanks.
    06-04-08 05:57 PM
    It's more for storage of pics, ringtones, music, and videos. You cannot store emails/texts or install apps to a memory card.
    06-04-08 06:08 PM
    That's so lame.
    06-04-08 06:16 PM
    Not really. It isn't a problem unless you try to store too much crap on your phone's device memory or fail to manage the memory.
    06-04-08 06:34 PM
    Yep media only you just have to not overload your BB.
    06-04-08 06:36 PM
    Adding a media card frees up 5 Mb, space other wise reserved for images.

Do you wonder why Apple packs their phone with 8 and 16 Gb and BlackBerry has none?

I guess it shows it's professional roots.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-08 07:55 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry, Kelemoore.

You're correct: you need a pc to free up internal memory by deleting unwanted/unnecessary files like languages, vendor themes, sample video. You can though delete apps from the device itself. The vendor junkware that came with the phone tends to come back unless you delete through a pc.

And yes, a media card is just that: a storage place. Makes no difference to your BB if it's there or not. Yeah it kinda sucks that they are nothing but storage. So you do need a computer to moves files on and off the card. On the other hand, I believe having the memory card act solely as a storage device adds to the stability of bb's. I should know, I wrestled with buggy Treos, which allow transfer of files and apps to and from memory cards, for years before jumping to blackberry.

My newbie understanding is that messages/email/texts cannot be stored on a memory card -- although I may be wrong on that.

BTW, a friend's 8830 that he never bothered to optimize runs fine. He has telnav, splashid, pocket express, viigo, brickbreaker, and opera mini going all the time; never bothers to close apps, delete attachments, or clear logs. Lucky sob.
    06-04-08 08:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD