Hey guys,
    First, I am really glad I found this place as it has already managed to solve many of my problems.

SO here is my story. Two days ago I left the family plan we have with sprint and bought my own phone, using my fathers discount through his employment, in preperation for going to law school in DC. I did my research, my main factor being what phone company would have the best reception in the town. After years of sprint and loosing signal I was a bit fed up.

So I made what I still consider the smart decision, I went with Verizon. And yea I now know about all the complaints with them, alot of which I didn't find out untill I bought the phone. But let me put it this way, Verizon put towers/cable in the DC Subway. There is a Verizon tower on the roof of my law school. It was just about my only option.

The phone though has been exceedingly fun. I bought a headset, and I feel alot safer on the road now as a result. The ease of the use of the contact system is the big seller for me. The main motivation behind the blackberry for me was being able to get my email anywhere. I imagine once my financial status settles (VZ makes you pay something like two months upfront) I will buy the fancier email programs that allow me to sort email and view images. The other big thing was the web abilities. While it is kind of crappy web, I can still get pdfs and such if I need them for school.

After a month with this thing I plan on getting the tethering ability, if necessary, so I can just use my laptop if I REALLY need to view websites.

Admitedly this morning I was thinking of going and trying to return my phone and service in frustration. Partly due to the GPS, another part being my phone allready acting odd. Of course when I was sold the phone I realized I couldn't believe a word the guy was telling me. He told me the 8830 doesn't have a space for MicroSD...except for the fact MicroSD is written on the back...and that the tag next to the phone in the store said it supported MicroSD cards. The little snafu I had was that yesterday evening my voice command program owuld finish loading when I head my headset on. But popped out the battery and it started working again.

I do have a few questions for the community though.
    1. I imagine many of you are lawyers. Does the 8830 work well with LexisNexis and WestLaw?
    2.What are some other gizmos one might reccomend to a law student for use with this phone?
    08-10-07 10:51 AM
    westlaw has a specific mobile product

wl-w.com

I don't know about lexis...don't use it.

RS
    08-10-07 12:01 PM
    I can get LexisNexis Australia to work a little with my Bold and the Bolt browser. I can browse content (Halsbury's law of England, Australia, etc...whatever is in the subscrption) it's not perfect but it does work. It should improve as new versions of Bolt Browser come out. It's in Beta (2000) and I've reported some of my issues.

I write this post for anyone who searches Blackberry and LexisNexis. Although I hope you're still in school in DC and that this info may assit you.

I could not yet get the Bolt browser to allow me to *search* in LexisNexis Australia....this is obviously important if you don't know exactly what you're looking for or don't have the citation info to browse manually through the law reports.

I'm just glad I can get in. I could not before. I don't (yet) have a subscription to the mobile version of LexisNexis for blackberry.

LexisNexis AU and American LexisNexis looks different but I would imagine they are not that far apart in terms of how their buttons and data entry fields work. I will try American LexisNexis later on.

If for some reason you need Australian cases Austlii dot edu dot au works very well on the native Blackberry internet browser. From Austlii you can link to case law and statues for UK, Eire, NZ, Pacific Islands...Commonwealth countries generally.

I think Australian jurisprudence has a lot to add...I'm the first to pipe up down here with a relevant and helpful American case when I can...but don't get your professors off side.
    05-20-09 09:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD