I've had two 8830s and I'm still having the same problem: the EVDO network randomly drops and the only way to get it back is to pull out the battery and restart the device. This is terribly annoying, because sometimes I don't look at my phone for hours, and when I finally do, I realize I haven't been getting e-mails for hours since the EVDO network quit.

Sometimes I dial *22899, which re-activates the phone. That resets the EVDO for a few minutes, then it drops again. The network drops at least once a day. Is anyone else having this problem? And, is there a fix?
    08-16-07 02:32 PM
    If you have this problem in the same geographic area your carrier might be having tower problems. Have you called your carrier about this issue?
    08-17-07 07:35 AM
    If you have this problem in the same geographic area your carrier might be having tower problems. Have you called your carrier about this issue?
    That would be a good starting point.

HH
    08-17-07 07:52 AM
    Did verizon transfer the phonebook for you when they replaced the first one? If so the problem prob lies with the first 8830 you had then transfered the problem to the new one (yes this is possible but there is no way to know if it happened) I would have them swap you out again if thats the case this time not having them transfer the phonebook
    08-25-07 12:46 AM
    i've been having the same problem with Sprint. it'll be at 1xEV, the bars will fluctuate a little bit, then it'll just be 1x. sometimes turning the radio off and on will work, or the "soft" off might, but it usually just comes back for a bit; sometimes it'll come back as "1xev" - lowercase == low speed? popping the battery while it's on will make the network come back for a while - or at least it's worked for the past couple days i've had the problem.

another problem was that for the past couple of nights my phone wouldn't "get" incoming calls. i could call out, but calling from a landline would just ring and ring and then eventually VM; popping the battery fixed that, too.

- emilio
    08-25-07 05:19 AM
    Your problem may lie in the fact that you are using *22899, that was an old programming method used back in the day that causes all sorts of feature issues and glitches. *228, option 1 is the only way to fly, no problems should arise if you use that...to be on the safe side, *228 again and choose option 2 to make sure you have the correct PRL loaded onto your device. Wrong PRL = missing EVDO
    10-04-07 02:03 PM
    I had this exact problem with my Sprint 8830. After numerous resets, provisioning on both the phone and the network, and a bunch of vodoo, nothing changed. Eventually, Sprint sent me a replacement 8830 which works perfectly. No more 1-2 hours a day without network coverage...
    10-04-07 06:51 PM
    My 1XEV keeps dropping out randomly. Called Sprint. Did something on their side and asked me to take battery out then installed back in after instructed. Still having issues!!!! Got the modem working via the usb on desktop pc but not my laptop. Sprint doesn't have clear instructions on setting up via usb cable arghhh....... I'm planning on replacing it with Mogul instead due to fact that this 8830 we cannot really play much media files. Just very similar to the older 7250 I had just difference is play SOME video's and tethered modem.
    10-06-07 07:48 PM
    Here is some additional information in regards to my issue. I pulled the event log from my phone just after using JL_Loader to wipe the OS from the phone, reinstalled the software, and provisioned, went to the HRT and sent a network registration, and having my service books sent. I was using the maps program for about three minutes before my signal dropped. Maybe someone with some technical knowledge can use this information do determine what is happening and we can finally give this to either the operators or RIM to fix the problem!!!!! I can use PAM for the most part without any difficulties.

Myfirst replacement appeared to be a refurb (which really irritated me) since instead of the "Sprint Ahead - Rated for Sprint Speed" logo, I had the old yellow screen with the black knock off Nike swoosh. My next replacement showed a cute little "JVM 102 error - reboot" when I received the phone. I have on question, is there any QA process prior to these phones being sent out?

Thanks.
    Last edited by tavella; 10-14-07 at 09:20 AM.
    10-14-07 09:09 AM
    you have to have an evdo code or else you'll have 1XEV not working- I didn't have the code on mine since I got it and now after 4 months of using it at 1X they said "HEY! you don't have the evdo soc code on your account" she added it and i retstarted my 8830 and VOILA instant 1XEV speed- before i did that it would try to go at 1XEV speed but would say searching for cdma service and then go to 1X- hopefully that fixes your problem too~!
    01-13-08 12:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD