Hello. I'm trying to figure out why my supervisor's bb 8830 all of sudden is getting low memory messages. We use Zimbra web mail client and his mail is pushed over by Notifylink. He doesn't have language apps or games on his bb. I checked the data left and is only around 7700 kb left. I reset the cleaning of messages to weekly and set it for 1:15 pm est today and he called back almost 2 hours later saying its still cleaning (seems like a very slow process). When I go into his email via notifylink it says there are over 5000 emails in the inbox. The AT&T store said to buy a 2gb memory card but I don't think this will help with freeing up memory for email. I was wondering if anyone has any insight into this - his bb is realtively new. Thanks.
    08-14-08 02:42 PM
    You may want to look at this http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

You were right about the media card. You cant use it to store the emails but you can use it for pictures , music etc
    Last edited by gritmaster; 08-14-08 at 02:53 PM.
    08-14-08 02:49 PM
    Only low memory indication I ever got was that there were suddenly NO messages... Or emails... Or calls logs...

And yeah, card will not help that.

5k email?? What's up with that?may wanna go to the mail site and start deleting.
    08-14-08 03:29 PM
    How many mails does he have on the BB? Also change the settings to keep messages to 15 or 30 days. Mail, messages, texts etc..... take space, also check to see how much media he has like vids, music, pics, etc....
    08-14-08 03:51 PM
    The memory card will not help with emails. He needs to clear out his inbox!!
    08-14-08 03:57 PM
    Only low memory indication I ever got was that there were suddenly NO messages... Or emails... Or calls logs...

And yeah, card will not help that.

5k email?? What's up with that?may wanna go to the mail site and start deleting.
    Yeah i have had my messages and call logs deleted out of nowhere too... That is so frustrating. There is nor warning and i hardly had any third party software on my phone. Now i just keep my apps to a strict minimum (which sucks). Any word on why that happens or how to fix it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-08 08:53 PM
    BBs should never has less than 12MB of free space to avoid the loss of messages, email, call logs or anything else the BB auto cleans when free space gets too low. I personally recommend keeping about 20MB free for the extra safe room. Follow the memory free space guides. Many of the preloaded things like voice activated dialing, passoword keeper, and such that you don't use cna be removed. Even preloaded images etc. Its quite possible to gain significant free space and still keep a number of apps on your BB you want to use. Also make sure to keep all media (pics, mp3s, videos, docs) on your memory card.

08-15-08 01:45 AM
    It's definately time to do some deleting if he has over 500 emails on his Berry.

08-15-08 01:53 AM
    Yeah, check this... I run .51 and have watched it leak down to just over 3MB!!! And no loss of data...

4.2 lost data at 11MB or so I've seen.

I pretty much run around 11-12MBfree now and it seems to work well. (I think?....)

I really have to go through the memory free up procedure and see what i can get out of this thing. I have no wallpapers or video. Could use to get rid of some OEM themes I guess, not sure what else I can pull out of .51 that would really make a big diff. Hate to lose the voice dailing but I guess I may have to.
    08-15-08 11:22 AM
    I personally would not be comfortable with 11-12MB of free space after a reboot. In my experience using apps like viigo and the browser for examples will use up memory for caching data. For me by the end of the week that is about 10+MB. I can only assume if you haven't had all your messages, email and call logs deleted then you have gotten lucky. Unless 4.5 has changed this little fact about how things work. Let me help you try and figure out what to remove. Remove all languages but the one you use. Are there any BB apps you don't use or really don't need? BB messenger (301k), BB maps (665k), calculator, brickbreaker (269k), help app (407k), memo(21k), password keeper (50k), tasks (48k).

Best thing to remove out of these things would be the help app. that's almost half a MB. And if you don't use the 3 listed before that then that's 1.5MB freed right there. Removing the sample video is another 2.5MB if you haven't done so. You can remove the BB themes but if you use custom themes you may need them for the custom themes to work. So these few things I mention here is 4MB freed up if you don't need any of them.

If you like list everything installed on your device and take a fine toothed comb to it and see what comes out. You can list all of that stuff here if you want a helping hand on deciding what to get rid of. SMS messages, email, and call logs are probably the biggest databases. You can see how much each of those are by going to options > status > menu key > database sizes. If they are quite large delete old messages and logged calls. There is also a device log of some sort I recall reading about you can clean up to free space too. I don't recall how to get to it and how much space that frees up but it is probably worth looking into.
    08-15-08 01:10 PM
    Hello all. Thank you very much for all the posts. I deleted out a few apps and doing a daily cleanup as well as deleting all email prior to 7/31/08. It's finally catching up on itself and it looks good now. Thanks again.
    08-18-08 10:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD