I just got a WE 8830. The only app that I have is documents to go. I have all of my files on a memory card. despite this, I only have about 7 MB of free memory. Am I doing something wrong?
    08-19-09 02:07 PM
    I have a similar problem since upgrading from 4.2 to 4.5 OS. For me, filefree eventually drops to 0. I sometimes can use switch application to close running apps. About once a week I have to do a battery pull. The most I have after a battery pull is about 5.9 meg, but within hours it's down to 3 meg. So some program on my phone isn't playing nice. Does your memory keep creeping down till you hit zero like me, or does yours hover at 7 meg? If your filefree continues to drop with only docs2go, perhaps d2g is the culprit and I can nuke that one app and have less trouble with my phone.

Yesterday, I did a battery pull and had 5.9 meg. About an hour later I had 3 meg and I started another thread about this. The first guy who came along only wanted to criticize my sig, but eventually somebody came along and made a useful suggestion about an OS squeezer.

Today I'm down to 1.3 meg. My phone normally hovers between 2 meg and 0 and sometimes it frees a few hundred k all by itself and I can get through several weeks without a battery pull. But the longer it's been since my last battery pull, the more likely I need a battery pull to get filefree back. I'll probably opt for the OS squeezer and borrow my work pc, or maybe I'll just live with this situation until RIM releases DM for OSX and I'll try and fix it then.
    Last edited by r0k; 08-19-09 at 02:17 PM.
    08-19-09 02:14 PM
    Sounds like you need to get some other stuff off your device. Go to this link, and follow the directions. You can also do a search for Crackmem, and use that program to get rid of unnecessary stuff.

How to Free Up Memory on your BlackBerry Smartphone | CrackBerry.com
    08-19-09 02:14 PM
    So some program on my phone isn't playing nice.
    Make sure you close out of programs so they shut down. When you are in the program, hit your Options button, and scroll down to Close. If you just hit your red end button, the program may not close all the way.

One way to check which programs are running is to hit Options>Switch Application. This will bring up a screen that shows all programs running. Note that you will always have BB Messenger, Browser, Home Screen, Messages, and Call Log when you pull this up.
    08-19-09 02:18 PM
    I just got a WE 8830. The only app that I have is documents to go. I have all of my files on a memory card. despite this, I only have about 7 MB of free memory. Am I doing something wrong?
    I have a similar problem since upgrading from 4.2 to 4.5 OS. For me, filefree eventually drops to 0. I sometimes can use switch application to close running apps. About once a week I have to do a battery pull. The most I have after a battery pull is about 5.9 meg, but within hours it's down to 3 meg. So some program on my phone isn't playing nice. Does your memory keep creeping down till you hit zero like me, or does yours hover at 7 meg? If your filefree continues to drop with only docs2go, perhaps d2g is the culprit and I can nuke that one app and have less trouble with my phone.
    Sounds like you need to get some other stuff off your device. Go to this link, and follow the directions. You can also do a search for Crackmem, and use that program to get rid of unnecessary stuff.

How to Free Up Memory on your BlackBerry Smartphone | CrackBerry.com
    +1 eddiek! And to add to what eddiek said check out the Increase File Free thread in my sig for additional info to the Lecture. In additio to CrackMem there is Shrink-A-OS to get rid of a lot of useless junk on your device and BBFileScout will help get rid of all the sample media, wallpapers, ringtones you dont want/need, etc.

I would highly recommend reading the entire BB101 Lecture Series. It is a wealth of information and will make you more knowledgeable

Good Luck and Happy Learning!
    08-19-09 02:19 PM
    My memory keeps dropping on its own also.
    08-19-09 02:47 PM
    My memory keeps dropping on its own also.
    That's normal on every BlackBerry. Make sure you are closing out programs and not just sending them to the background. Clear caches, and do a battery pull when you feel you need to really clear out memory.
    08-19-09 04:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD