Within a couple of weeks of purchasing my new 8830 WE I had the misfortune of scratching the lens. I contacted Verizon to see if they could replace the lens...they cannot do so. They agreed to replace the 8830 if I would tell them the battery would not charge...and pay $50 replacement fee!!! I conducted some research and found that I could order a new lens on ebay for $1.99!!! Unfortunately, there were no instructions included but I decided to take a chance and ordered two lens. They were shipped from Hong Kong and I received them in about 10 days. The lens were perfect replacements. Each lens came with a precut adhesive. After looking over the new lens it became apparent where I needed to pry up the old lens. I used a rather sharp plastic knife and pryed up the old lens. Once I got the edge up a little I was able to pull it up completely with a slight amount of prying. I then took a very small amount of alcohol on a Q-tip and cleaned off the remaining adhesive. (This was the hardest part of the process. Be patient and it will come off after a little work.) I then applied the new adhesive to the back of the new lens, be careful this is VERY sticky. After applying the adhesive to the back of the new lens I carefully placed the new lens back into the proper position. It looks great!!! Anyone with room temperature IQ can do it.
    04-20-08 08:19 PM
    You did it like a pro. You did exactly what you should do to put it in place. Well done.
    04-21-08 08:13 PM
    Now get your BB a screen cover and never have to replace it again. I have one that even made the few scratches on mine disappear. I love the invisible Shield ZAGG Inc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-08 08:25 PM
    true invisible shield should market the fact that it will not only protect the lens but it makes scratches(small ones) go away
    04-21-08 08:49 PM
    Can you just replace the lens without unscrewing the back, removing the sides, etc.?
    06-18-08 07:29 AM
    Hey, thanks for the input on the ease of that operation. I'm having some glaring scratches staring at me reminding me of my carelessness...

Although, since mine runs around naked a lot, the back is showing some abrasions as well...

I'm a bad owner... May just replace the whole case for $45 and then rethink my care for the poor phone...
    06-18-08 09:23 AM
    I also scratched my 8830 lens a few weeks after getting it, by putting it in and out of the holster facing inward. The little metal blackberry logo on the flap scratched it. Anyways, I bought a replacement online but as you have all found out there are no instructions anywhere. I figured it had to be simple and upon finding this thread I found out just how simple it is. The face (lens) comes off all by itself. From the sides towards the bottom gently and carefully, pry something very thin (and strong) between the lens and the side of the 8830 in the space around the lens. It will take a bit of gentle strength but as you start to pry it up it comes up pretty easy. Once you get the bottom part of the lens to come up a bit, pull gently upwards and push up towards the top of the blackberry. It should pop off. You don't need to manhandle it since it will come up slowly and evenly. I then pulled the old adhesive off as much as possible. I didn't bother trying to get it real clean, just made sure there wasn't any lint or fingerprints on the lens prior to putting the new one in place.

With the new adhesive I actually placed that face down on the 8830 itself instead of trying to stick it on the back of the new lens. Then pull off the paper backing, lay the new lens down, press in place, and you're done. It's a lot easier.

It took about 10 minutes. Now it's new again!!
    07-01-08 01:52 PM
    Well, I wasn't as fortunate with my ebay lens purchase. Mine didn't come with any adhesive. I've tried double sided tape that looks like Scotch tape but sticky on both sides. It won't hold for long and the bottom pops out. Anyone know if you can get the precut or what two sided product has worked.
    08-17-08 08:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD