I have my 8830 for over a week now and I have looked through all the settings but I have found no way to lock the phone by just use of the keyboard.
    On most candy bar style phones there usually are to buttons you push to lock and unlock the phone. On the 8830 you push * and then send but that will only unlock the phone. I am wondering if there is anyway I can lock the keyboard just like I unlock because to be honest I dont like scrolling through icons to find that little lock one.
    12-07-07 04:32 PM
    You could all ways move that little icon to the first row in the corner. That way you can easily lock it with out even looking.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-07 04:47 PM
    turn off 'dial from home screen' then 'k' should lock it (I read this, haven't tried it)
    Or move the lock icon to a more convenient place (I put mine at the end of the top row)
    12-07-07 04:47 PM
    I simply press ALT and the Return key. To unlock, press the * and the green phone key.
    12-07-07 06:13 PM
    ALT and RETURN worked, awesome thanks!
    12-07-07 07:37 PM
    I don't believe that anyone has offered this solution as of yet. Just hold down the "mute" key on top of your 8830 (opposite the power button) for one second and it locks the keyboard as well as makes the screen go dark saving precious battery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-07 09:12 PM
    or set the convenience key to keyboard lock.
    12-07-07 11:35 PM
    That "convenience" key is the most INconvenient for me I disabled it since I kept inadvertently pressing it whenever I pulled my 8830 out of the holster!
    12-08-07 10:06 AM
    That "convenience" key is the most INconvenient for me I disabled it since I kept inadvertently pressing it whenever I pulled my 8830 out of the holster!
    i agree..i just set that "convenience" key for my messages... the "mute hold" is the best option by far.
    12-09-07 05:03 PM
    don't like the "mute hold" I find the alt + return key most efficient for me which brings me to my question, been using the alt + return but now that I got a replacement phone, the OS has changed to v4.2.2.176, so now if you tried the alt + return, it pulls up a language select menu. Is the alt + return removed or is it another key combination? Any help would be appreciated...
    12-12-07 06:45 AM
    Just press the K button....
    12-12-07 10:07 AM
    i used to always use the mute key option but i always had a problem of hitting one of the top buttons when i pushed the phone back into my pocket. that would would unlock the phone. the mute key option is kind of a soft lock. it is more of a standby mode than keyboard lock.

i think the alt return option is best to really keep your phone locked. i have accidentally called a lot of people at inopportune times.
    12-12-07 11:49 AM
    Yeah, I don't like the stand-by mode a lot, I feel that the alt + return is more "trusty". If anyone knows how to do it on the new .176 OS, please post. It would be greatly appreciated!
    12-14-07 04:23 AM
    On the 8100, it's just press and hold the * button.
    12-14-07 06:03 AM
    or you could just program it to lock the keys automatically when u put it back in the case/holster. Granted the one your using has the magnetic sensor.
    12-14-07 09:53 AM
    Has anyone noticed the following error/annoyance:

1) lock your phone using ALT + Enter.
    2) unlock your phone using * + Send.
    3) whatever icon your cursor was over before you locked it is now loaded on the screen.

For example: From the home screen put the cursor over an icon, then lock and unlock using steps above. Did that app load up without you provoking it? Try this by moving the cursor and repeating the lock/unlock.
    This did not happen to me, I tried this sequence several times and every time I unlocked my phone it would just be back at my home screen with the cursor over whatever is first on my home screen. It did not open any apps.
    12-14-07 11:28 AM
    i have the same problem...alt+return brings up the language options...
    12-14-07 12:45 PM
    Alt+Return does the language thing for me also but my grievance is with unlocking the device. When you click in the ball you get three options:

Unlock
    Emergency Call
    Cancel

If you select "Emergency Call" or "Cancel" it will activate both with no problem but by selecting "Unlock" (by clicking ball or pressing return) you get "Keypad is locked press * + Send etc"

This is pretty annoying as my old 7100X unlocked through this method no problem and I do not like the * + send option at all.

Any ideas?
    12-14-07 01:11 PM

3) whatever icon your cursor was over before you locked it is now loaded on the screen.

For example: From the home screen put the cursor over an icon, then lock and unlock using steps above. Did that app load up without you provoking it? Try this by moving the cursor and repeating the lock/unlock.

Either this happened or it would start calling someone once I hit the Send key. Since I changed me theme to the Today theme...it doesn't happen anymore. I was annoyed at first about not being able to change the today theme to show what I wanted on the home screen...but it is nothing compared to how mad I got every time an application opened or my phone would randomly start calling someone!
    12-14-07 01:52 PM

Hi Matt,
    I have noticed that little annoyance upon unlocking the keyboard. Wherever the cursor is when the keyboard was locked, that application will launch when the keyboard is unlocked.
    12-17-07 11:43 AM
    Hi Matt,
    I have noticed that little annoyance upon unlocking the keyboard. Wherever the cursor is when the keyboard was locked, that application will launch when the keyboard is unlocked.
    Mine does nothing of the sort. Is this a .176 issue? My sprint 8830 with the old firmware is fine.
    12-17-07 01:23 PM
    i have the same problem...alt+return brings up the language options...
    Ah I got it. Pull up the language select and select any language. A message will pop up with an option of not showing up again, or don't use this shortcut or something. Choose never to show up again and the alt - return combination works fine! Looks like the .176 version added a few things.
    12-17-07 05:26 PM
    Alt+Return does the language thing for me also but my grievance is with unlocking the device. When you click in the ball you get three options:

Unlock
    Emergency Call
    Cancel

If you select "Emergency Call" or "Cancel" it will activate both with no problem but by selecting "Unlock" (by clicking ball or pressing return) you get "Keypad is locked press * + Send etc"

This is pretty annoying as my old 7100X unlocked through this method no problem and I do not like the * + send option at all.

Any ideas?
    Man, I have searched the forums all over the place for a fix on this. I hate having to 1) unlock the handheld, and then 2) unlock the keys. On my old 8703e all I had to do was unlock the handheld with the scroll wheel and that was it. If I chose to unlock it by pressing a key, then the * and "send" option came up. One or the other. Not both. This is so annoying.
    06-05-08 03:50 PM
    Hi Matt,
    Upon unlocking, my cursor goes to the icon on the top left corner of the screen. No auto loading the app, though.
    06-05-08 03:52 PM

This drives me absolutely nuts. I started to use standby mode (holding down mute) but i would rather use keyboard lock
    06-06-08 07:10 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD