Anyone had this problem? I'm a Sprint customer and as far as I've figured out my phone is supposed to be working here in the UK while I'm visiting. But the second I got off the plane and turned on my phone I've had the message "insert sim card". I called sprint before I left to make sure that my plan has international service activated. I have no idea what I should do considering I travel to europe often....the whole reason I bought this phone was so that I wouldn't have to get a rental phone or buy a prepaid SIM card. Do I need an international sim card? Do I need to do something so that the one I have works here?
    06-13-08 01:22 PM
    What SIM card did you have in the phone? Was it a Sprint SIM, or 3rd party (eg prepaid or other carrier)?

I have used my VZW 8830 in the UK without probelms, using my prepaid SIM bought in UK. I just leave the SIM in the phone when I get backl to the US, since here the phone's on CDMA.
    06-14-08 01:57 PM
    Ya just because the phone can work in many countries doesn't mean you don't need a sim card. Your best bet is just to buy a local sim card to use for when you go to europe. That's what I did when I was in Australia. I had the same screen when I didn't have a sim card inserted.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-08 09:05 PM
    I have a sprint SIM card, I spoke to a woman on the plane on the way back that had a Verizon 8830 and she said that I would need to get an international SIM card from sprint....she had gotten one from Verizon and it worked fine in both London and the US.

Typically I'd go with the alternate SIM card when I'm in country or just buy one to use while I'm there, but the countries that I go to vary, and I'm usually never there for more than a week or two
    06-19-08 08:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD