I want the caller to hear a ring tone
02-18-08 05:26 PM
- Hey all. I'm a new user and I have figured out how to set ring tones for my callers on my end, however; I'm wondering if it's possible to set ring tones so that my callers hear them while waiting for me to answer. I have a BB8830 WE. All help will be greatly appreciated, thanks...02-17-08 11:40 AM
- Hey all. I'm a new user and I have figured out how to set ring tones for my callers on my end, however; I'm wondering if it's possible to set ring tones so that my callers hear them while waiting for me to answer. I have a BB8830 WE. All help will be greatly appreciated, thanks...
What you're talking about are called "ring back tones" Verizon offers this at a small cost. I subscibe to this service, I think it's only a couple bucks a month, plus each ring back tone cost $1.99 and supposedly is valid for 1yr. although I swear I've had mine for longer than a year. You can find more out about it here: https://ringbacktones.vzw.com/index.jsp02-17-08 11:50 AM
- Thanks ya'll. I went to a Verizon Wireless store yesterday and the guy there told me that Verizon Wireless does not support ringtones for the BB8830 at this time then referred me to several sites that would allow ringtones to my phone. I was successful at getting them, just cannot figure out how my callers hear them. Sounds like they will not be able to. I'll call Verizon again to verify everything. Thanks for all the input.02-17-08 11:54 AM
- cobia...you're now talking about 2 different things.
There's a difference between RINGBACK tones, which is what the caller hears instead of a ringing phone when they call you. This is a service through VZW that has nothing to do with the type of phone you are using.
RINGTONES are what you hear during the incoming call. You're right that VZW doesn't have V-Cast on their BB's, so there are no supported ringtones, but you can make your own and put it on the BB easily. I do it through a microSD media card.
Hope this helps!02-17-08 12:01 PM
- It does help. I'm thinking ringtones would be used for both me and the caller. I have made some of my own ringtones and also have some waiting for me to load on my phone. I just don't know how to set up the tones for my caller to hear. Any help with that would be great and thanks for the reply....I'll get the hang of this phone yet....02-17-08 12:11 PM
- Question, so the VZW BB8830WE is compatible with VZW ringback tones? I am asking because I was a VZW customer for 2+yrs (treo 700w with ringbacks) BUT when Sprint gave me everything (entire plan) I had with VZW PLUS a better phone (BB8830WE) for $100 LESS a month I JUMPED on it! There were two things I had to get over after switching: 1) no camra (no biggie, but it would be the cherry on top) and 2) no ringback tones.
I logged onto the Sprint website and navigated to ringbacks but it did not list the BB8830WE, I called Sprint and they stated that unfortunately the BB8830WE is not compatible.02-17-08 09:02 PM
- 02-18-08 12:41 AM
- As the others said, this is a feature only available via your carrier. The ones your rep said wasn't compatible with your phone is only the ones you hear on YOUR side that can be uploaded via your computer.
That being said, I am curious how many people pay for ringback tones? Personally I could give a crap if people calling my phone hear "ring ring" or "welcome to the jungle" or whatever else.
Also I know they pose problems with some automated services. For instance, I moved recently and had an appointment setup to turn my gas on. I requested a call ahead so I could leave work and be available when they turned the gas on. The rep was very clear they used an automated system and if there was a ringback tone then it wouldn't work. It wasn't a big deal for me as I don't use ringback tones, but found it interesting and wondered what other problems this might pose, if any.02-18-08 08:52 AM
- 02-18-08 11:43 AM
- 02-18-08 02:45 PM
- BlackBerry OS Phone Forums
- More BlackBerry Phones
- BlackBerry 8830 WE
I want the caller to hear a ring tone
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD