I posted this on pinstack.com and i figured that I'll make it a identical copy post on here.

I know the Loud ringtone discussion has been a very heated debate pre and post the latest VZW Upgrade. Reading threads here and on crackberry.com I believe I finally figured it out. There was this one ringtone that I found out there classicringer.mp3 . I grabbed it and popped it in my ringtone directory and I was amazed at how loud it was. Now all my other mp3/wav ringtones were so much lower. I was pretty steamed obviously.

I used Audacity which is a fantastic mp3/wav editor/creator which has so many features.. and the best thing is its FREE. Link Below:

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

So I used this to open up that classic Mp3 ringtone. I noted some of the characteristics of it which are:
    Project Rate: 22kHz
    Mono @ 22kHz

So I tried to open up per say my knightrider.mp3 ringtone. I re-adjusted the settings from 44kHz to 22kHz. Suffice to say that it SLOWED down the mp3 like a slowing record.

SO these are the settings that I did:
    Stereo @ 22kHz
    Effects/Amplify: 22.0 dB
    Set Rate at 22kHz
    Effect/Changed Speed: 102.00 %
    Exported the Mp3 file with a Constant Variable Rate at 80 kbps.

Obviously play with the above settings. I found that changed speed to 110 % is better. Individual results will vary.
    Re-adjusted the new ringtone under my contact. Had the contact call me and WALLA.. UBER LOUD!

I did this to a bunch of my custom ringtones for my contacts and it is significantly louder.When playing back on the phone it will be a little bit louder but more audible when receiving that incoming call.

I definitely invite people to try this and definitely await feedback

And Turkey Day Ya'll!
    Last edited by ncc1701p; 05-20-09 at 09:28 AM.
    11-22-07 12:12 PM
    any chance of posting this ringtone for others to check it out? i'm a newbie with audacity.
    11-23-07 06:06 PM
    I think you could have gotten good results by just amplifying it. The ringtone I used is plenty loud enough and is still at a 44khz rate. All I did was amplify it until I reached a point where my cheapo desktop speakers were beginning to distort saved it and imported it using the Media Manager default conversion settings. Have been using it without problems since May.

Here is a link to it but I don't think anyone here would like it, it's an extended version of the WM5 default ringer from my old Moto Q.

Free file hosting by Savefile.com
    11-23-07 06:55 PM
    any chance of posting this ringtone for others to check it out? i'm a newbie with audacity.
    Hi Kenxxxxxxx

Id be more than happy to do so.

This is the link to the classic.mp3 that I found somewhere on this site. I uploaded it to my website and here's the direct link:

http://www.prettysamy.com/Classic.mp3

and my Knight Rider Ringtone:

http://www.prettysamy.com/KnightRider-NEW.mp3

Try them out and tell me what you think.
    Last edited by ncc1701p; 05-20-09 at 09:28 AM.
    11-23-07 07:01 PM
    well, not sure why but i kept getting "device media processor busy" error messages when trying to play the file (a whole other thread that others have had this error and there is no known cause). finally got it saved and it played, and i set it as my ringer. it was not loud on my device, at least not any louder than other ringers that i have on it.

the more i read about the ringer volume issue, the more i'm convinced the heated debate stems from some hardware and/or software revisions. i got one of the first 8830s from verizon, so maybe that points to something that changed after i got mine that made the volume fixable by boosting the gain, et al methods as posted on forums. i have tried mp3 manipulation, different mp3s, 8830 profile tricks/adjustments, etc all the suggestions i've read on this forum and i have not noticed any improvement in ringer volume on my phone. i still miss calls on occasion at full ringer volume, either holstered or unholstered.

i'm at the end of the rope on this issue. i'm having my IT guys get a replacement handset monday am. hopefully i just have a lemon.
    Last edited by kenxxxxxx; 11-24-07 at 06:27 PM.
    11-24-07 06:25 PM
    Doesn't seem to work for me as well.
    11-24-07 09:37 PM
    Its always possible that a unit can be defective. I remember my 1st Treo 700P was defective out of the box always freezing/lagging and not being normal as far as it functions. For me what I listed above definitely works at least for me. I've yet to really miss a call having my phone sitting on my coffee table. I really tested the heck out of about 10 ringtones and felt satisfied that it worked. People say that after the latest update that the ringtones were louder.. My mp3s were not louder but maybe they were referring to the ringtones. Anyone tried the default ringtones? Did any of you upgrade to the latest release of the vzw 8830 OS?
    11-24-07 11:03 PM
    tried it. and makes the ring tone sound like crap. so if i lower the settings then it just defeats the purpose of this trick
    11-28-07 10:02 AM
    NCC..... Thanks for the ringer.... This is nice.... do you have any more maybe a little louder that you can share... Please....
    12-12-07 11:43 PM
    hey ncc1701p,

have audacity and have been using it but my ringtones are quite and i dont see the option to change any of those settings. the only thing i see that i can change is sample rate, which when i change to 22k hz it seems to change nothing. wanna help me out?
    12-28-07 04:47 PM
    Just hang tight till i get home from work.. I'll do a screen capture of the program and edit/watermark it w/ instructions
    12-28-07 04:53 PM
    Hey folks, newbie here. I tried the above Audacity trick. Cool program by the way. I selected entire track, specifially JUMP by Van Halen, and bumped it to 20 in the first box, and selected the clipping one as discussed. However, now, its louder, BUT only plays like 3-4 seconds of the tone then repeats. At least before, when it was lower volume, i heard almost the whole first riff ....

thoughts?

TJ
    12-29-07 02:48 PM
    before I install any applications or register my email, can anybody confirm that there is minimal distortion when amplifying the mp3's in this manner?
    12-29-07 11:40 PM
    Some may be interested in this alternative way to get truly loud ringtones: I have been using VR+ Record, which turns your BB into a dictaphone. You can record any sound you like and set it as a ringtone. The audio quality is slightly distorted but it works for me...I like using bird and other animal calls which I record from other media.
    01-01-08 03:55 PM

SO these are the settings that I did:
    Stereo @ 22kHz
    Effects/Amplify: 22.0 dB
    Set Rate at 22kHz
    Effect/Changed Speed: 102.00 %
    Exported the Mp3 file with a Constant Variable Rate at 80 kbps.
    Hi,
    I've done everything like you said above, but the "Set Rate" and the "Constant Variable Rate". Can you show me where to find those? Also, I made a ringtone without those and put it on my bb, but the ringtone is really slow (sounds like a slow record). any advice?
    01-03-08 04:11 PM
    Newbie blackberry owner and newbie crackberry member here Just wanted to say a big thanks for this post..I was going crazy bc I couldnt figure out why the volume was so low. I did what you said with audacity (took me a little to figure out how it all worked) and it worked wonders! I have some nice loud ringtones now. Some of them you just have to mess with the amplify I think..bc certain sounds dont seem to amplify as well.

Thanks!! Ive been a blackberry user for a week now and LOVE it..soooo much better than "the V" phone I was using.

JL
    01-23-08 09:59 PM
    question regarding Audacity, newbie here, once you change the protocols how do you "reinstall" the improved ringtone to your BB? Thanks.
    01-24-08 07:11 AM
    I have never used Audacity, but it may be much easier to just Normalize the sound wave. It would as simple as selecting the wave and choosing normalize.

In some cases normalize will not work well and the sound ends of peaking and distorting. You can then Normalize to a decibel level like -1.0 rather than 0 and that may fix the clips/distorting. If not you can keep moving the decibel level lower until there is no more clipping/distortion.

I don't even know if Audacity has a normalize option. I would assume it does, but I don't know for sure.
    01-24-08 08:02 AM
    After downloading Audacity and playing around with creating a bunch of ringtones (i'm a newbie with both Audacity and my Blackberry), I realized they were not very loud when I played them on the phone.

i tried the above trick and it worked. And the only trouble is managing the level of amplification with the distortion when i increased it to 22, I had way to much distortion.

On the ringtone file i was working with, i only had to adjust the amplification to plus 6 to get a louder ringtone on the phone and limit the distortion.
    01-26-08 08:51 PM
    hi, first post here.

the problem with amplifying the audio signal is clipping. speakers can only handle a limited amount of it. clipping is usually the distortion you hear.

if theres an option in audacity for HARD LIMITING. try that. with keeping audio quality youll never want the song/ringtone to go over 0db. so if audacity has hard limiting:

set the peak at -.1db -- thats right at the limit
    boost 10db -- set this to whatever u want.

what this will do is limit the highest peaks you have in the signal to just below distortion range while raising the volume on the other things in the song/ringtone that arent that loud.

our blackberry speakers are small... so you cant really expect bass from them.. if audacity has an EQ feature id also cut out frequencies below 100hz... **** even 150hz to take out all of the bass..

of course you can experiment with all the frequencies to get the sound u wanna hear. happy sound editing.

hope this helps a little.

-centro
    02-02-08 04:23 PM
    Hi can someone please make one of these file into a mp3 ringtone for me?
    02-18-08 02:16 PM
    for some reason audacity will only let me preview the maximum amplification and "ok" shades itself so i can't apply it. i'm playing back with my 8130 volume set at "loud." any tips? thank you.
    02-23-08 12:04 PM
    I have done several things that appear to fix this issue as my ringtones are very loud now...

1. Go to ringtones...click on any ringtone to play it from your bb...once it is playing up the volume and exit. Default ringtone volume is medium.
    2. Go to profiles...scroll down choose advanced...choose menu...choose new profile...one by one choose brower/calendar/level 1 messages/etc and set volume to loud appropriately for "out of holster" and "in holster"...save changes...should be good to go
    02-24-08 10:33 AM
    ...and choose "Loud" in profiles
    02-24-08 11:26 AM
    I downloaded the program but don't seem to be able to figure out how to work with it. I would love to just take the easy way out and download any loud ringers other have figured out how to make! I realize this is a copout and I'm totally okay with that! LOL
    03-05-08 08:39 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD