Hey all, I am a newbie here. I just got a Pearl (but will be returning to trade in for the Curve) and my boyfriend has a now broken 8830 WE.

He has somehow managed to break the port on his 8830 WE. The port for the charger, USB cable for PC sync, and all other connections.

There is no way for him to charge the phone and he can't connect to his laptop to use the desktop software. Is there another way for him to get his contacts into the new phone they are sending him? Aside from all of the ones that I have read. I believe in order to have the service provider (Verizon) transfer them, you need to be able to use that same port. Can he charge the battery on the new phone, put it in the old phone and move the address book onto the micro SD card? If so, how would we do that?

any help, would be greatly appreciated - I am going to end up figuring this out anyway, so I figured I might as well take a pre-emptive strike!!! We are both relatively new BB users.

Thanks!
    05-19-08 07:11 PM
    How old is the 8830? There is a 1 year manufactures warranty.
    You cannot transfer contact via Bluetooth.
    You can change out the battery to charge it or use a cradle charger, but a crippled BB is a bummer.

You could email the address contacts to the BB and save them.
    Last edited by tyroni; 05-19-08 at 07:36 PM.
    05-19-08 07:28 PM
    i know you can't transfer via bluetooth, but he has a memory card, i was wondering if he could use that to transfer them.

It is just about a year old.. don't remember exactly.
    05-19-08 07:32 PM
    Did he back up to the computer recently? Could use the switch device wizard and use the old backup file.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-08 07:35 PM
    recent enough I would think that his contacts wouldnt have changed that much. I'll ask him.

Thanks!!!
    05-19-08 07:39 PM
    The switch Device Wizard function is only compatible over USB.

Should have read your first post more thoughly. Yes use the Switch Device Wizard.
    Last edited by tyroni; 05-19-08 at 07:56 PM.
    05-19-08 07:52 PM
    Thanks everyone!!!
    05-19-08 08:40 PM
    How do you Email the address book?

I (person Lmiles refers to) broke the "port" where the charge and computer USB plugs in to, so I cannot D/L it to my computer, nor can I charge the battery. (I have a new one sitting at home (thanks asurion ins.) so I can use that battery).

Instead of inputting the entire address book by hand, is there a way I can:

attach it as a file and Email it From my BB? Then upload it to my new one?

Or

Copy it to the removable media card and then transfer it that way?

Any other Ideas to copy the address book to my new BB, without using the cable?

What is the address book file named? where is it located (what is the path?)

All help is appreciated!
    05-20-08 04:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD