I am struggling with this one. I am on the BES and use the BIS as well.

My question is, how long do you allow the BB to keep your email messages? We do have a limited amount of memory so it can't be forever.

What's the optimum length of time? 2 weeks? 4 weeks?

What do you do with emails that have large attachements?

Thanks
    02-07-08 11:40 PM
    I have set mine to Forever. I delete the email as I take care of the issues. There are some emails that I just want to keep with me for info reasons. When I delete the wireless reconcile takes it to my Deleted Items anyway, so it's not all the way gone yet. If there's something that I really need to keep and just want it off my BB, but kept on my Exchange account I just simply delete it on the BB Only.
    02-08-08 09:47 AM
    I have set mine to Forever. I delete the email as I take care of the issues. There are some emails that I just want to keep with me for info reasons. When I delete the wireless reconcile takes it to my Deleted Items anyway, so it's not all the way gone yet. If there's something that I really need to keep and just want it off my BB, but kept on my Exchange account I just simply delete it on the BB Only.
    Thanks JRSCCivic98. Just wondering how do you keep all your emails? I have set my BB to keep emails forever, but I am finding out that the BB automatically delete my emails from my handset! On my desktop at work, i set up folders and file away all the emails accordingly. I find the same folders on the BB, BUT, the emails are not all there. Some over time have been deleted by BB. What gives?

Thanks for your help
    02-08-08 11:10 AM
    I get about 40 emails a day, but I manage to keep about 2 weeks worth on the BlackBerry before it deletes them, even though I have a lot of applications taking up memory. It's set to keep them forever, but it does run low on memory and as soon as it runs low it starts deleting messages to get more.

I check Options>Status several times a day. If it gets below 2 MB, I clear the browser cache and I often do a reset. There seem to be a lot of memory leaks. Programs reserve memory and don't give it back. I usually gain about 5 MB at least after a Reset.

You can set up a Gmail for your BIS email and have it get a copy of every message. Then you can use the gmail app (from gmail.com/app) to search through them. You can set it to leave a copy of each message in your mailbox. The only downside is that every message gets marked as heaving been read.

As for attachments, they are not kept on your BlackBerry. The server serves them out on demand when you want to look at them. Large messages also only get partially stored on the BlackBerry. I think it keeps 2000 bytes (characters) when you get to the end, your BlackBerry needs to request more from the BIS/BES server.
    02-08-08 09:20 PM
    I don't have any issues with memory on mine. I never dip below about 14MB most of the time. I keep my stuff pretty tidy. Perhaps if RIM would get off their asses and put some more memory in these phones we wouldn't have these issues of "can't load all the apps you want and keep emails forever." What's funny is I took a look at the Status screen of a client's 8703e a day ago and they had like 38MB Free. What the blank? RIM's bloating the 88xx series OSs a little... don't you think? They should alow you to delete all those stupid preloaded pics and ringtones without having to hack it with javaloader. The pics alone take up 7MB of space.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 02-08-08 at 11:12 PM.
    02-08-08 11:08 PM
    Set to Forever.
    Inbox purged daily.
    Needed emails saved in the Saved Items folder.
    02-09-08 10:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD