With my old Verizon phone I could type as many characters as I wanted and it would just send the text as an EMS (Enhanced Message System) instead of SMS as long as it was going to another Verizon phone. With my blackberry it won't let me type more than 160 characters. WTF?!?!
    05-10-08 05:05 PM
    The 8830 only provides SMS. 160 characters is the limit, and it will not automatically break a longer message into 160 unit messages.
    05-10-08 05:08 PM
    I dont think you can type more than 160.
    05-10-08 05:11 PM
    With my old Verizon phone I could type as many characters as I wanted and it would just send the text as an EMS (Enhanced Message System) instead of SMS as long as it was going to another Verizon phone. With my blackberry it won't let me type more than 160 characters. WTF?!?!
    I have this same issue. I had the 6700 Pocket PC phone with Verizon and that would always just break up the messages. Now my 8830 WE won't do it! WTFx2!! Thoroughly frustrated!

Here's the kicker though: A crappy Env can send me a message longer than 160 characters!

There has to be a workaround for this, short of using your email address.
    05-21-08 04:01 PM
    There is no work around. The 8830 only supports SMS, not any of the extensions. That is stated in the specifications. If you are still within your 30 days, you might want to look at another model blackberry. The devices with cameras might support longer messages. I don't know, but now that you know, you could easily check it before leaving the store.
    05-21-08 04:10 PM
    My pearl is limited to 160... If you can't say it in less maybe you should call or email em.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-08 04:23 PM
    If you are paying to have texting ability, I don't understand why they don't just allow the texts to rollover into multiple texts...
    05-21-08 05:44 PM
    If you send an MMS the number of characters is unlimited! Just don't don't attach a picture. Remember, MMS rates apply for the sender and receiver...

05-21-08 05:46 PM
    It's not a matter of allowing. SMS only supports 160 characters. That's not a Verizon decision. Also, their phones without cameras (like my 8830) can neither send nor receive MMS.

05-21-08 05:54 PM
    I just email or send a second text.
    05-21-08 10:51 PM
    Jeff, you're right! My advice to send an MMS doesn't apply in this forum! I thought I was in the Curve room... Sorry 'bout that!

Pashan hangs head and exits stage left...

05-21-08 10:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD