Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. tarek307's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    432 Posts
    Global Posts
    433 Global Posts
    PIN
    wasnt a good idea!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Hi can you help. Using my BB in Egypt or International!!

    I'm going to Egypt for 2 months, i suppose all i have to do is just take the sim out and replace it with a carriers sim from EGypt. But i heard about someone having the +1 problem (whenever they try to call a local number, the BB automatically adds a +1 to it) is this true?

    can you tell me the procedure to get rid of this +1 issue, or if it even exists? Thanks!

    I thought i would UPDATE my findings so if people searched.

    So, yes its very simple to take the phone from USA to Egypt, i just removed my USA SIM & bought a pay as you go line (SIM) from MOBINIL *there is also Vodafone & Etisalat in Egypt* i chose MOBINIL.

    1-Insert new SIM
    2- Change the Wireless network to Global or GSM
    3- to get rid of the +1 on all number, just simply goto anyones number in your phonebook, BB key---Options--disable the "easy dialing or add country code option"
    Last edited by tarek307; 09-01-2009 at 07:46 AM.
  2. tarek307's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    432 Posts
    Global Posts
    433 Global Posts
    PIN
    wasnt a good idea!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

    Default

    nothing????
  3. JRSCCivic98's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    14,514 Posts
    PIN
    I'm the Page Ranking person for Crackberry. :p | Don't be a CEO, Search the Forums! | Hybrids Suck!
    #3  

    Default

    That's not your only problem. Your Blackberry data plan won't work either.
  4. daddybear's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,578 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,579 Global Posts
    #4  
    () ()
    ( '*' )
    (("') ("')
  5. JRSCCivic98's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    14,514 Posts
    PIN
    I'm the Page Ranking person for Crackberry. :p | Don't be a CEO, Search the Forums! | Hybrids Suck!
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daddybear View Post
    and you need to have yuor 8830 unlocked...
    Sprint didn't lock the SIM slot...
  6. daddybear's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,578 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,579 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    oh...must be nice...

    tell all the vzw people that one...

    -db
    () ()
    ( '*' )
    (("') ("')
  7. tarek307's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    432 Posts
    Global Posts
    433 Global Posts
    PIN
    wasnt a good idea!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
    That's not your only problem. Your Blackberry data plan won't work either.
    well ya i'm sure i won't recieve my emails and so on!! is that what you mean? i was aware of that because i'll be putting an Egyptian SIM card in there!
  8. JRSCCivic98's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    14,514 Posts
    PIN
    I'm the Page Ranking person for Crackberry. :p | Don't be a CEO, Search the Forums! | Hybrids Suck!
    #8  

    Default

    Yep, phone calls only. As long as the GSM networks in Egypt use the 2 bands that the 8830 will cover it will work.
  9. BlondeBoyL's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    285 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tarek307 View Post
    I'm going to Egypt for 2 months, i suppose all i have to do is just take the sim out and replace it with a carriers sim from EGypt. But i heard about someone having the +1 problem (whenever they try to call a local number, the BB automatically adds a +1 to it) is this true?

    can you tell me the procedure to get rid of this +1 issue, or if it even exists? Thanks!
    Usually just adding the + sign before the number and dialing normally (meaning NOT entering a country code) the phone will automatically put in the correct country code. This is helpful because a person can not be expected to know every county code out there. I have done tons of international dialing when I was in europe and did not have an issue.

    If your not having any issues I would not worry about it.
    Last edited by BlondeBoyL; 03-25-2008 at 12:01 PM.
  10. tarek307's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    432 Posts
    Global Posts
    433 Global Posts
    PIN
    wasnt a good idea!
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeBoyL View Post
    Usually just adding the + sign before the number and dialing normally (meaning NOT entering a country code) the phone will automatically put in the correct country code. This is helpful because a person can not be expected to know every county code out there. I have done tons of international dialing when I was in europe and did not have an issue.

    If your not having any issues I would not worry about it.
    I don't need a country code to dial inside the country i'm in!
  11. Gallivanting1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #11  

    Default Service in Egypt

    OK, I just got back from Egypt and while there I used by Blackberry Bold with no problems. I went to one of the MANY kiosks all over the streets and got a Mobinil SIM card (20 Egyptian pounds). Mobinil is everywhere - just look for the orange signs or ask somone. I put this into my unlocked Blackberry and the guy at the kiosk called the Mobinil office and had it activated using the codes on the card (I don't speak Arabic so it was easier). This got the phone activated but here in Canada I also have a data plan so I tried to get this set up but you need to go to the main office to set up an account. I jumped into a cab (10 Egyptian pounds from downtown) and went to 2005 Nile City, Corniche El Nile, Ramlet Boulaq in Cairo. The office is around the corner from the tall hotel the cab will drop you at. Just ask the doormen at the hotel for the Mobinil office and they will direct you. Once at the office it took me about 10 minutes to set up the data plan. After that, I just had to purchase Mobinil cards from any kiosk, scratch the back to reveal the numbers and then dial #102*(the 14 digit number)# and press dial. I got a text message back telling me what my account had been updated to.

    In all, it was quite easy. Check with the people at your hotel or wherever as there may be a closer Mobinil office for your location.
  12. nile_gator's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gallivanting1 View Post
    OK, I just got back from Egypt and while there I used by Blackberry Bold with no problems. I went to one of the MANY kiosks all over the streets and got a Mobinil SIM card (20 Egyptian pounds). Mobinil is everywhere - just look for the orange signs or ask somone. I put this into my unlocked Blackberry and the guy at the kiosk called the Mobinil office and had it activated using the codes on the card (I don't speak Arabic so it was easier). This got the phone activated but here in Canada I also have a data plan so I tried to get this set up but you need to go to the main office to set up an account. I jumped into a cab (10 Egyptian pounds from downtown) and went to 2005 Nile City, Corniche El Nile, Ramlet Boulaq in Cairo. The office is around the corner from the tall hotel the cab will drop you at. Just ask the doormen at the hotel for the Mobinil office and they will direct you. Once at the office it took me about 10 minutes to set up the data plan. After that, I just had to purchase Mobinil cards from any kiosk, scratch the back to reveal the numbers and then dial #102*(the 14 digit number)# and press dial. I got a text message back telling me what my account had been updated to.

    In all, it was quite easy. Check with the people at your hotel or wherever as there may be a closer Mobinil office for your location.
    Thanks Gallivanting1 for the information. It is very helpfull as I am going to egypt in march and planning to use my Strom there.
  13. ogeneo's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    163 Posts
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    #13  

    Default

    I'm going in April... Verizon customer (Storm2)

    From their web page, it appears I can just add international data to my plan?

    I'm not the most savvy on the whole SIM card deal, is there a reason that would be preferred? The majority of my usage will be data, and I do need to get my email and send SMS.
  14. t-dot trini's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Hey there! I'm about to go there in a couple weeks - I'll prob check out that place in Cairo mentioned by Gallivanting1 - btw, were you able to do bbm as well? I'm only going to spend 8 days there, but it would be cool to keep in touch with people here in Toronto - I use Bell Canada as my provider...thanks for the advice!
  15. Bonita Dirk's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #15  

    Default Did data work in Egypt

    Hi,

    Just wanted to confirm with you that you were able to use a data plan and a phone plan in Egypt on your BB.

    THanks!
    Bonita

Posting Permissions