Hello everyone,

I've been looking over your forums for about an hour now trying to sort out my problems with no luck, i planed on becoming a member but wanted to solve the problems with out a post but here we are:

1) Roaming does not work

I have the international service
    i have free roaming
    i have the "Everything plan" with only 450netime mins

Im active duty and travel to Guam where there is a mobile network i should be able to roam on, i know this because another 8830 on sprint worked but mine didnt. I've even roamed around my native NW washington area where i jump on verizon's network, i know this because during a roaming phone call i hear "welcome to verizon wireless, please use a credit card..... yadda yadda"

Called sprint and they had me do a reset on my phone, ok maybe that will fix it

2) Now after a reset the phone no longer has browsing capabilities but i have a full data plan, the option for data plan is turned "on"

Also my signal status doesnt show 1EVX er EXV, which ever it is anymore, insted its only 1x

3) Thinking maybe i needed to update the OS i downloaded the new update from RIM's website and since i've had PocketMac V4.1 for a little while now just for syncing i thought i was set to install the update, but i see no feature to install updates through pocketmac only syncing various things.

i hope ive explained everything to a point that someone can help because im due to be in that devils armpit of a place Guam, this weekend...

I plan on stopping by a sprint store tomorrow but wanted to run it by you experts first

Thanks to all in advance!!
    Last edited by Gearheaded7; 09-30-09 at 07:44 PM.
    09-30-09 07:42 PM
    Welcome to the Crack!!

I've traveled overseas, and the following has worked for me when I have had an issue trying to find a network across the pond:

1. Go to the Manage Connections icon.
    2. Select Mobile Network Connections.
    3. Under Network Mode, select GSM
    4. Under Network Selection Mode, select Manual.
    5. At this point, you should be able to select an available network from ones your phone can detect.

I hope that helps you while you are overseas. As for the OS, your post did not indicate what OS your phone is on. I recommend you get at least one that is at least 4.5.
    09-30-09 08:00 PM
    As far as i can remember that is one thing the tech from sprint told me to do, i can try again once im there but if anyone can define my problem i think that could help best

v4.2.2.176 says the 8830, and ive downloaded v4.5.0.169

i've found the "update device" option in pocketmac but it wont allow me to select the update file from my downloads folder

and thank you for the welcome
    09-30-09 08:11 PM
    Unfortunately, I don't think you will be able to test this out until you get there. I believe they use a different frequency, which is why you need the global phone in the first place.

As for the OS upgrade, I don't have any experience with macs, otherwise I would point you to a program called Crackmem. I do, however, recommend that you extract the OS from the .exe file you downloaded. Do a search for Proper Upgrade/Downgrade procedure. There may be some information for how to do this with a mac.
    09-30-09 08:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD