I have dropped my 8830 WE about 40 times. Each time the battery cover and battery fly off in different directions.

Previoulsy, I just gathered my piece, put it back together, powered up fine.

Yesterday, dropped and the small metal SD? card swing "lock" "unlock" doodad came off and I am guessing I stepped on it as it was more than a tad bent. (Holy run on sentences, Batman!)

I straightened it the best I could and put it back in. When I dropped the sern thing, my battery was about dead, but when I got it back in I did have some light on the front.

Now, the thing will not power up at all.

I plugged in into the wall charged for quite the while...Nothing.

I just got my replacement phone, pulled the new battery out, put it in dropped phone...Nothing.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

I do not have an sd card, never have copied my contacts, blah blah blah.

Freaking out that I will have to somehow rebuild at least my contact list!

Help! #$%&*()_
    10-22-08 09:43 AM
    This may not help you now because it sounds like the poor bugger may have suffered one too many drops but... next time... and we always seem to learn these things after the fact or too late...

backup, backup, backup (unless you're on a BES server, even then I still backup)

and get a good solid case... the Otterbox may look bulky or too ugly for some but I tell you, it's saved my bacon a few times and seems to do a great job of protecting against drops, bumps, crashes, etc.
    10-22-08 10:34 AM
    Thank you for responding.

You are proably correct that my poor abused 8830 WE is toast.

Yes, I have heard tell of this thing Backup. Regreattably, I am not familiar with it's habits.

I suppose I should check into an SD card for the replacement?

Looked at the Otterbox, also. Does not go with my slingback pumps, but sometimes fashion must be sacraficed for practicality and safety.

Again, many thanks for the response.

Cheers!
    10-22-08 10:51 AM
    well... an SD card is nice and can hold lots of goodies but... the favored data we seek here is not stored in that location but in system memory which is now, as you put it, quite possibly toast.

As far as the slingback pumps and an Otterbox... hmmmmmm you could start an entirely new look here.

Maybe someone needs to invent some sort of wrist lanyard with a bungee, designed to be just short enough to never allow floor contact.
    10-22-08 10:58 AM
    OK, scratch the bungee thought... I was just sitting here mulling over the possibilities and saw myself doing like around the world yo yo style with my bb on a bungee and seeing said bb smack me with great force in the middle of forehead.
    10-22-08 11:05 AM
    LOL! That would indeed leave a mark!

Yes, a friend of mine & I yesterday were thinking more along the lines of the same contraption as attaches a childs pacifier to their person to ensure no ground contact when the binky falls from mouth.

Perhaps the universe will smile upon me and when I walk into Verizon they will be able to pull the data I seek from the system memory? I assume if no power, no system? @#$%^&*()

Like my mother always said, "You just can't have nice things."
    10-22-08 11:22 AM
    Yupppp, typically no power, no joy.

Maybe you will get lucky when you go to your store. The last time I walked into my local joint I found 3 techs in their little space surrounded by lots of cool looking instruments and such. After acting like I was being rude for interrupting their morning feeding, I got the deer in the headlights look when I asked them a relatively simple question about my BB. I then got "Oh, we don't do ANY work on THOSE things." One of them then grabbed my bb and began to scroll through all the programs whilst muttering "cool man, I didn't know you could do that". I retrieved my device and thanked them for their efforts.
    10-22-08 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD