I am having a problem connecting either of my 8830s to my laptop. I have a personal one from Verizon and a work one from Sprint. When I connect them I can see the SD cards in each of them, but the Desktop manager does not recognize either of them and neither due their respective tethering programs. Any advice anyone could give would be great. Thank you.
    12-28-08 08:51 AM
    What version of the device manager do you have?
    12-28-08 01:36 PM
    I am running 4.2.2.12 It is strange because it was working before and now it will not recognize the connection. I had to recently reload all of the software on my laptop due to it crashing. After that it has not worked.
    12-28-08 02:32 PM
    I would recommend downloading the latest device manager software from blackberry.com and seeing if that corrects the issue. I don't know if you are working with Vista or not but I had issues with DM v4.2 working correctly on Vista. I upgraded to 4.6 and have been running smooth ever since.
    12-28-08 05:23 PM
    I tried a newer version of the desktop manager with no luck. I did notice that every time I connect my device to my laptop that it says that the USB charging is not sufficient. And that I need to make sure that my device is connected to a powered USB port. I am using the same port that I did before and it never said this. This is very frustrating.
    12-29-08 05:21 AM
    I tried a newer version of the desktop manager with no luck. I did notice that every time I connect my device to my laptop that it says that the USB charging is not sufficient. And that I need to make sure that my device is connected to a powered USB port. I am using the same port that I did before and it never said this. This is very frustrating.
    That brings up another issue that I forgot all about. Try another USB port. I have 4 ports on my laptop and can only hook my blackberries up to one of them. Any other port I get that message and the phone will not connect to the PC. Anything else that I hook up to any of the other USB ports works just fine. Could also be a cable issue. It is not impossible for wires to break internally to the cable.
    12-29-08 06:25 PM
    Thank you for the idea, but no love with that either. Tried all four ports with two different cables.
    12-29-08 07:58 PM
    The only thing that I can suggest at this time is to try another PC and see if it connects there. It sounds like your PC has an issue in the registry. You say you had to reload everything. Was that done with a clean install of the OS or a backup?
    12-29-08 08:07 PM
    The reinstall was done with the CD provided with my laptop. I think I am going to have to take it in because I can connect to other computers.
    12-30-08 09:12 AM
    I had the same problem. I installed a new USB driver and that fixed the powered USB problem. But still no luck for me connecting to the Desktop Manager.
    01-16-09 04:00 AM
    Maybe the drivers for the USB ports need to be installed?
    01-16-09 12:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD