Does anyone else have a hard time reading the blue back lit keypad? In the sunlight its OK, or if it's really dark it's OK, but in mid level light it's horrible. Is there any case, or key covers that can make the keys have more contrast? Maybe I'm the only one who has this problem, but it sure is annoying.
    08-20-07 12:53 PM
    no..it drives me crazy too. there was something about backlight in the recent software update for verizon...but i don't know if it addressed this issue or not.

either way...it was a real bad oversite on rim's part.
    08-20-07 02:19 PM
    I agree 100%
    08-20-07 05:38 PM
    (LOL) you guys have a blue back-lit keypad? that's so cool (well not really since you guys are complaining about it...) Bell has white back-lit keypads...but why is it such a problem reading when there is light? really don't get your post, sorry!
    08-20-07 09:46 PM
    The gray / blue I got used to but if you know how to open the phone you can buy an OEM black keypad for like 6 bux just have to take the bb apart to install it but the gray/blue is hard to see at first

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-07 11:24 PM
    Where can you buy the gray/white keypad??? It would look a little goofy, but right now I type gibberish most of the time. I'm sure nobody else who is mid 40's uses those 1.25 reading glasses , but if I don't have mine, there is no way for me to see the keypad in my car. The back lighting is that bad. Is there a way to disable just the light behind the keypad, or is it part of the main screen back light? Maybe that's a work around too.
    08-21-07 06:15 AM
    For those that don't understand what the problem is, it is really quite simple. Blue is hard to see for many people. In daylight, you see the keys, in darkness you can see the blue back light. In in-between light, it's just hard to see the keys.

I'd love to fix this for $6, but can I presume opening the device voids warranties. Would anyone have a step-by-step instructions on how to do so.
    08-21-07 02:14 PM
    there is very little contrast between the blue back light and the blue lettering on the keys..that's a big no no in the graphic design world. blue on blue? it's a HUGE oversite.
    08-21-07 09:56 PM
    It was a problem for me at first. But I got used to it. Now I don't even think about it. Give it some time to settle in, and you may get it down.
    08-22-07 10:36 AM
    It was a problem for me at first. But I got used to it. Now I don't even think about it. Give it some time to settle in, and you may get it down.
    i have had mine for a while and there is no getting used lettering on a background with no contrast. you may get more familiar with where the numbers are...but that hasn't really helped me.
    08-22-07 11:00 AM
    08-23-07 09:07 PM
    ..bottom line is this is a huge faux paux by RIMM..It's exactly like everyone says, in mid light it's almost impossible to find the keys. I wish I understood what the few users who mentioned it in reviews were talking about prior to picking this model..really is a shame 'cause the phone is sharp looking. Also, the only difference I noticed after doing the recent software version upgrade is they made some of the fonts in the menu/submenu's a bolder clearer font. I think they ignored the many complaints about the Keyboard backlight. In actuality, what can they do? It seems like having a stronger backlight would cut through this issue. How do you add that in an upgrade?

Anyway, I noticed lots of forum interest over the GPS nonsense that VZ pulled on this model. Personally, this keyboard back light issue blows that one away......bummer.
    11-03-07 12:44 AM
    You are never going to see a real fix for this problem since it is built into the keys. The backlight is white its the keys themselves that have blue lettering. The latest update supposedly increased the brightness during medium lighting conditions but I didn't see any improvement. I have decided to just live with it until my case gets scratched up to the point I want to replace it and then I'll go with the black case and keypad.
    11-03-07 12:20 PM
    you sure it's not the other way around..blue backlight, black lettering? as it sure looks that way when the thing is off..But I hope your right as I'm most probably going to swap out the keyboard with the black one that someone on this thread was gracious enough to post the link for.

I just can't see the ******** thing half the time and it's driving me nuts.......
    11-04-07 12:24 AM
    try switching the key pad to the dark keys. I have a 8830WE Telus edition. The keys are black and the back light is white. I was reading the reviews about a month ago and started to worry that I ordered two of these for the wife and I. I was very pleased though when I received them and the keys were perfect. The blue backlighting would truly suck!
    11-04-07 01:30 AM
    Ordered my from the website above (it comes from Hong Kong) and made the switch today. My 50 year old eyes can see the keys again!! The backlight is actually white, so when you get rid of the silver keys with the blue background, you get high contrast black keys with white backlighting.

It's a pretty simple process -took me 5 mins. with a t4 torx screwdriver and plastic spread tool. Check out blackberryforums.com for an illustrated step by step guide.
    11-04-07 10:15 PM
    I have the black letters on silver keys and the light is bright.
    11-06-07 01:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD