I have an unlocked Verizon 8830 using a United-Mobile SIM card, which has worked successfully in other phones. I am traveling in Israel. When the network is switched to Global, which theoretically is both CDMA and GSM, the phone is supposed to use whichever system is available, but it doesn't. When switched to GSM, it receives incoming calls, but does not make outgoing calls, but the other functions don't work. When switched to 1XEV, which is CDMA, it receives and sends email, also Blackberry Messenger both ways, but no calls are possible. It turns out that the Verizon partner networks in Israel for a reason unknown to me are CDMA, which I assume explains why the messaging parts work. What I don't understand is why I can't make outgoing calls when using GSM. I contacted United Mobile and they instructed me to find a United Mobile folder in the BB, which might have some setting that needs to be changed. I could not. So far I've received a half dozen calls (when switched to GSM) and made one call when the network was set to Global. For the latter, I entered 01+the country code, area code, and local number, but I wasn't sure whether I was using Verizon's system or United-Mobile's. I checked my accounts for each and did not find any outgoing calls, so I remain confused. United-Mobile is a callback system, but there was no call back. I'd be happy to hear from anyone who has had a similar problem and figured out a solution. I'm wondering if it has to do with United-Mobile and whether there's some other SIM card that might not have this complication. United-Mobile offers me one number wherever I go and if there's a reasonably easy way to fix this that would be terrific. Helpful suggestions greatly appreciated.
    11-30-08 11:21 AM
    Even though I had the United-Mobile SIM card in place, the one outgoing call I made ended up going through the Verizon system: Two minutes for $3.98. So I'm still trying to figure out what's needed to place an outgoing call with a SIM card other than Verizon's. I did try a local Israeli SIM card and it worked fine. So my options seem to be use a local SIM card, understanding that the number will change depending on which local card I use, or putting the United Mobile SIM card in a different GSM phone and just using the Blackberry for the web, email, and Blackberry Messenger. Seems a bit munch in view of the 8830's billing as a world edition, but no one yet has come up with a solution.
    12-03-08 03:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD