Hello,
    I have a BlackBerry 8830 and have had issues with being able to get locked on a GPS signal since the day I bought it. I have the current version of the OS, or the most current offered by my provider. My provider says that it is a weak GPS and that basically sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    Now, I understand it is a small phone = small antenna and it uses aGPS. There are major companies (IE: Garmin) that even sell software to use your 8830 like an auto navigation device. I cannot get mine to consistently lock on a GPS signal standing outdoors in a clear area. Is it an issue with my local providers network? I cannot believe if all 8830's worked this way that there aren't TONS of posts of people complaining. Is there any way to contact BlackBerry to find out if this is the way they phone works or if my provider is giving me the run around? I suspect the later to be true!
    08-21-08 12:36 PM
    If you are on verizon gps only works with vz nav

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-08 12:55 PM
    Hello,
    I have a BlackBerry 8830 and have had issues with being able to get locked on a GPS signal since the day I bought it. I have the current version of the OS, or the most current offered by my provider. My provider says that it is a weak GPS and that basically sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    Now, I understand it is a small phone = small antenna and it uses aGPS. There are major companies (IE: Garmin) that even sell software to use your 8830 like an auto navigation device. I cannot get mine to consistently lock on a GPS signal standing outdoors in a clear area. Is it an issue with my local providers network? I cannot believe if all 8830's worked this way that there aren't TONS of posts of people complaining. Is there any way to contact BlackBerry to find out if this is the way they phone works or if my provider is giving me the run around? I suspect the later to be true!
    It is probably just an issue with your provider or your specific 8830. USCellular users have had a lot of problems recently, as evidenced by their posts. At least one ended up replacing his 8830 with an 8330, if I recall correctly.

The way I understand aGPS, it should eventually get a lock, even if the cellular network isn't provided an assist. I suppose if the data they are transmitting is actually wrong, instead of missing, it could prevent the unit ever getting a lock. I don't know how you'd debug that, though.
    08-21-08 01:06 PM
    I am not on Verizon, I am on a local providers network the covers our rural area. At first I though that it may be an issue with my specific phone; however I have a friend who has curve and he has the same issues. When the phone came out of the box the GPS did not work at all until you updated the software from the web. My provider states that they do not restrict access to any features.

What it interesting is frequently in BB Maps when you click on start GPS you almost immediately get a box that says unable to acquire GPS lock, it does not even try to find the signal for more than a second or too.

Also, when I read BB's knowledge-base they recommend going into options ->> advanced options ->> GPS and click a button to refresh the GPS. I have no such options!
    08-21-08 03:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD