I just started using the 8830 and I was curious about the memory. I'm coming from the Curve which generally had very high memory and the Storm, which of course fluctuates but starts off relatively high.

My 8830 seems to start off at about 11 mb and tapers down to about 6 mb toward the end of the day before bed.

I haven't noticed any issues with the device's performance I was just wondering if memory this low was normal? Also, should I expect and performance issues as the time goes on and the memory drops?

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-09 10:25 AM
    Your device usually needs at least 10mb to function without any notices, but I would suggest holding the left alt button and the hit the back button to see what apps you have running and also take a look at the memory optimization thread
    04-20-09 10:28 AM
    Click the link in my sig

I sit around 18 on start up and drop to 14-15 after a few hours

04-20-09 10:34 AM
    Ok thanks. I'll check it out. I think I'm running a lot of apps too. Prob too many for this device because I am used to the Storm and the Curve.

04-20-09 11:45 AM
    The only downside to the 8830, that and the camera.

But for business its a beast
    04-20-09 11:46 AM
    I'm loving it for my email and messaging use. A beast it definitely is. Work horse wise, for me, it works much better than my storm and I don't have to worry about lagging or freezing. It even seems to out work my Curve. Its just the app issue and so far I haven't noticed a problem.

I currently have installed:
    Facebook, quicklaunch, opera mini, google maps, social scope, tetherberry, crackberry app, mlb.com app. I think that's it.

I wonder what the memory sucker is?

04-20-09 12:33 PM
    Facebook...for sure
    04-20-09 12:34 PM
    Oops I also forgot about berrybuzz, amazon app, brickbreaker, bb maps, docs to go...

Geez I didn't realize I was running so many things. I think its about time to clean house.

I'm in the process of trying to decide what berry I want to stick with. I've been a curve user for years and to be honest I'm bored with it. The Storm, I don't have to explain lol.

If I keep the 8830 I lose my upgrade. And if I stick with Curve I need a new housing or a phone from insurance bc its a mess.

04-20-09 12:46 PM
    Whatever you do make sure your able to het the Niagara when it comes out! Start saving

04-20-09 01:15 PM
    Think the Niagara will be the end all berry?

If I take the 8830 back my upgrade will be ready for the Niagara since I used it for this phone.

I think you might have helped me make my decision I know I'm going to want the Niagara when it comes out and I'm sure it will be expensive. My upgrade is better suited for that over 8830 even though its a solid device

04-20-09 01:24 PM
    Igot my last newe 883 for $150 on ebay, so maybe a good idea to save the upgrade and maybe look around for a deal on the bay or craigslist.

04-20-09 01:31 PM
    Thanks. I just went back to the verizon store and brought back the 8830. I figured I'd save my upgrade. Hopefully I won't be waiting too long for the Niagara.

In fact I think I might have lucked out. The rep who helped me was a young guy around my age or a little younger and he was really cool. He took a look at my phone and he asked me if I wanted a replacement device. He called customer service for me and got me a new Curve without going through insurance. He completely overlooked the mess that was my phone and the housing.

Hopefully they won't say anything when I send this phone back and take a look at the shape its in. I know they could tell that I removed the housing once before.

04-20-09 03:04 PM
    Click the link in my sig

I sit around 18 on start up and drop to 14-15 after a few hours

There was not a link. Maybe it's the WAP.
    04-20-09 03:09 PM
    The link works for me, Good job saving the upgrade

I believe the Niagara will be a solid device and refreshing for us 1-2year long BB users.
    04-20-09 03:15 PM
    I hope so. I also hope it doesn't get delayed. Verizon rep today told me possibly end of march or june but there is too much speculation on this site as it is. I'll believe it when I see it and have it in my hands.

04-20-09 07:46 PM
    The Niagra would be the ONLY thing keeping me at Verizon.

I'm w/Alltel now and looking to port to Tmo/ATT since all Verizon really has is the Storm.
    04-20-09 07:56 PM

I'm w/Alltel now and looking to port to Tmo/ATT since all Verizon really has is the Storm.
    Hopefully ATT or Tmo works for you where you are. I get terrible service by me with both carriers. Verizon is the only one that doesn't give me trouble. If ATT worked by me, I might have jumped ship to the bold a long time ago.
    04-20-09 09:37 PM

Verizon will have the Niagara soon which you know already. Also, you could get a unlocked Niagara and use it with AT&T
    04-21-09 08:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD