Well guys, I just got my first Blackberry today (an 8830 WE, obviously) and I'm psyched. I got it free through a program US Cellular is doing with their Service Techs and right now I'm just trying to make this BB my own. I do have a couple questions. First off, is there a workaround to delete the stock images/wallpapers and ringtones to free up some extra memory? I know I wont use them, and with the WE having just as little memory as the Pearl, I want to free up as much as possible. Also, whats a good software version to be running on this thing? Out of the box it has 4.2.2.123. Is there something better I should be running? Also, any tips for a first time user is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

EDIT: BTW, I've stripped it of all the stock apps I don't need/will never use. I'm up to about 22mbs of free space. Is there any way I can remove apps like Voice Dialing? Or is that within the software itself?
    Last edited by ktEaton; 02-18-09 at 11:11 PM.
    02-18-09 11:08 PM
    Welcome to the 8830WE and the CrackBerry forums. You can remove VAD. You shouldn't remove the stock ringtones. They're used by other parts of the OS. They're very small anyway. Find a thread by Reed McLay on optimizing your memory. It's in the How To and faq forum, and in a lot of our sigs as well. Reed walks you through the complete memory optimization process.

The latest officially released OS for the 8830 is 4.5 from Bell. I recommend you optimize your memory, then think about your OS version. There's a big jump from 4.2 to 4.5.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-09 08:11 AM
    Well guys, I just got my first Blackberry today (an 8830 WE, obviously) and I'm psyched. I got it free through a program US Cellular is doing with their Service Techs and right now I'm just trying to make this BB my own. I do have a couple questions. First off, is there a workaround to delete the stock images/wallpapers and ringtones to free up some extra memory? I know I wont use them, and with the WE having just as little memory as the Pearl, I want to free up as much as possible. Also, whats a good software version to be running on this thing? Out of the box it has 4.2.2.123. Is there something better I should be running? Also, any tips for a first time user is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

EDIT: BTW, I've stripped it of all the stock apps I don't need/will never use. I'm up to about 22mbs of free space. Is there any way I can remove apps like Voice Dialing? Or is that within the software itself?
    Welcome to Crackberry kteaton,
    would like to talk about what 3rd party apps you like. One way I free'd up extra memory on my 8830 was to remove the VAD. if you dont use it, delete it and free up a bit more memory in the process....
    on your DESKTOP naviate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8830-v4.5.0.101_P3.4.0.7\Java
    (mind you I am runing 4.5.0.101 on an 8830, your os file might have a different name...) in the Java folder creat a new folder named removed modules.
    look for a series of files called "net rim vad". Some will be engines, some will be resources. cut them all out of the java folder and put them in the folder you created.
    now the next time you run the desktop connection and open the app loader part,
    it will remove voice dialing completely from your device.
    02-19-09 08:41 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry kteaton,
    would like to talk about what 3rd party apps you like. One way I free'd up extra memory on my 8830 was to remove the VAD. if you dont use it, delete it and free up a bit more memory in the process....
    on your DESKTOP naviate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8830-v4.5.0.101_P3.4.0.7\Java
    (mind you I am runing 4.5.0.101 on an 8830, your os file might have a different name...) in the Java folder creat a new folder named removed modules.
    look for a series of files called "net rim vad". Some will be engines, some will be resources. cut them all out of the java folder and put them in the folder you created.
    now the next time you run the desktop connection and open the app loader part,
    it will remove voice dialing completely from your device.
    Whoa man, remember, you're speaking a totally different language to me right now, hahaha.

Now, I've installed the 4.2.2 OS on my computer. I went in, and put the net_rim_bb_vad... files is in the "Removed Modules" folder... But now what? What desktop connection am I running? And should I have my BB connected to my PC?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. I'm up to a comfortable 27mbs of free space now. Thanks the the tips guys!
    Last edited by ktEaton; 02-19-09 at 09:36 AM.
    02-19-09 09:15 AM
    Whoa man, remember, you're speaking a totally different language to me right now, hahaha.

Now, I've installed the 4.2.2 OS on my computer. I went in, and put the net_rim_bb_vad... files is in the "Removed Modules" folder... But now what? What desktop connection am I running? And should I have my BB connected to my PC?
    Connect your BB and open Blackberry Desktop Manager (BDM) Open Application loader, Add/Removed Application (Start) and once completed disconnect your BB pull that battery (30 sec). When you restart your BB VAD should be removed.

Please note I've only completed this on the 4.5.0.101 and 4.5.0.127 OS. so it may not work on 4.2.2
    02-19-09 09:39 AM
    One last question guys. My volume keys don't seem to do... well, anything. Is this normal? Is there a way I can set them to, say, change my sound profile?
    02-19-09 09:47 AM
    One last question guys. My volume keys don't seem to do... well, anything. Is this normal? Is there a way I can set them to, say, change my sound profile?
    Again WELCOME to Creackberry, feel free to PM or IM me. I believe there are threads talking about volume issues with 4.2.xxx I know my volume did not work very well until I upgraded to 4.5.0.127 I have a word document I've saved that talk you thru the step to upgrade to 4.5.0.xxx. Again PM or IM me if you'd like.
    02-19-09 09:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD