New user here. I have sucessfully setup Bluetooth between my 8830 and my netbook. I can transfer files from the netbook to the 8830 but cannot figure out how to go from the 8830 to the netbook. I am running XP with third party Bluetooth drivers on the netbook. I do not have Desktop Manager installed but still can send files to the 8830. To transfer from the netbook to the 8830 I first select send to BT on the netbook then, receive using BT on the 8830 and it works great! How do I go the other way? I see send to BT on the 8830 but where on the netbook would I find receive via BT?

A second question I have is if I can use the 8830 as a wirelesss modem modem for my netbook via BT. I beleive this is possible but requires an additional service fee from Verizon?

Thanks,
    Paul
    06-25-09 12:50 AM
    1. BT tethering is not supported on BlackBerrys unless you have a Mac. If you want tethering, you have to install the Desktop Manager software and use a USB cable, along with the Verizon Access software and a $15 tethering account which will enable your modem feature.

2. As long as you have a MicroSD card, you should be able to gain access to the BlackBerry as a removable device and transfer files both ways using Windows Explorer. Does the BlackBerry show up as a "Removable Device (x):" under My Computer? If not, make sure that "Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected" is set to Yes and that "'Mass Storage Mode Support" is on. You can find that under Options -> Media Card.
    Last edited by xtort; 06-25-09 at 03:06 PM.
    06-25-09 03:03 PM
    $15, I thought it was $10. stupid jerks at vzw
    06-25-09 03:10 PM
    Thanks for your reply. I just called Verizon and was told tethering is $30.

Using a USB cable I do see the BB as a removable device and can transfer files back and forth, but using BT I can only trnasfer files from XP to the BB using the process mention in my OP. Any way using BT to go from the BB to XP?
    06-25-09 03:56 PM
    1. BT tethering is not supported on BlackBerrys unless you have a Mac. If you want tethering, you have to install the Desktop Manager software and use a USB cable, along with the Verizon Access software and a $15 tethering account which will enable your modem feature.

2. As long as you have a MicroSD card, you should be able to gain access to the BlackBerry as a removable device and transfer files both ways using Windows Explorer. Does the BlackBerry show up as a "Removable Device (x):" under My Computer? If not, make sure that "Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected" is set to Yes and that "'Mass Storage Mode Support" is on. You can find that under Options -> Media Card.
    BT tethering is possible with a verizon 8830 and a PC if you have the most recent version of VZAccess Manager and pay verizon the monthly fee. I use bt to tether so I don't have to use the usb cable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-09 06:40 PM
    Thanks all, any advice on how to get files from my bb to my laptop using BT, this was the main reason for my oringinal post.
    06-25-09 06:54 PM
    The method I described only works with a USB data cable. BlackBerry has no official support for transferring files from their devices to Windows using Bluetooth. Surprisingly enough I did the tether test myself and I was impressed with how fast I got it setup. I wouldn't bother asking about the file transfers as many people on these forums have asked before and were told the same thing.
    Last edited by xtort; 06-25-09 at 11:03 PM.
    06-25-09 10:49 PM
    Thanks for the clarification.
    The method I described only works with a USB data cable. BlackBerry has no official support for transferring files from their devices to Windows using Bluetooth. Surprisingly enough I did the tether test myself and I was impressed with how fast I got it setup. I wouldn't bother asking about the file transfers as many people on these forums have asked before and were told the same thing.
    06-25-09 11:30 PM
    After much trial and error I was able to get this to work. I can now transfer files both to and from my BB via BT and using the Widcomm drivers that came with my BT USB device.
    06-28-09 10:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD