Hi all,
    I'm a newbie, this is my first post. My crackberry fell down an elevator shaft 5 flights.

I didn't hear it shatter and the battery was just about dead.

I have a series of questions, so please be kind...

It's going to cost me about $200 + to get the elevator company to get me the phone.
    1. what are the chances it will be working?
    2. if it lives down there for a few days to a week without battery power will I loose all the information (emails to my blackberry address, contacts, etc...)?
    3. Could a crash like that wipe all the information out of it anyway?
    4. if I do get it, and it's broken is it worth it to get it fixed?

Thanks for any and all advice!
    Janet
    04-08-08 04:54 PM
    1. The chances might be kind of slim.
    2. If the battery dies it will still retain the info. on it.
    3. No, unless is smashed into tiny pieces
    4. Depends how broken it is. Do you have insurance?
    04-08-08 05:11 PM
    Was it in a rubber case? For $200 you might be better off to buy a new one!
    04-08-08 05:14 PM
    I JUST took off the rubber case today because I needed to pull the phone in and out of my pocket.

a new 8830 would cost about $600.
    04-08-08 05:16 PM
    Chances are, besides the fact that it probably broke, there is probably water at the bottom of the shaft, and it will be water damaged. I would put the 200+ to another phone, check eBay, 8830s go for cheaper than 600.

just my 2cents, thats what i would do.
    04-08-08 05:20 PM
    best suggestion would be to buy a new one, or call the company and get another assuming you got insurance from the wireless , then you could always do a back-up from your pc (none of your info would be lost then ), also assuming you did that on a regular basis , other than this ... well you're on your own
    04-08-08 05:45 PM
    you could try going through the insurance and tell them it was stolen
    04-08-08 05:56 PM
    you could try going through the insurance and tell them it was stolen
    That's not necessary, unless they've changed their policy in the last year. My hubby lost his phone (drove off with it on the rear bumper) and got it replaced thru insurance.

Sorry to hear about your phone. Hope you get this resolved soon, and inexpensively!! There's an 8830 for sale on this forum... $380 I think. I don't know anything about the seller... just saying I saw it.
    04-08-08 06:31 PM
    Insurance claim would be cheapest route to take... that's why you have it anyway.

BTW, "There is no Spoon." :lol:
    04-08-08 06:53 PM
    Not sure how you managed to drop your phone down an elevator shaft but if the phone survived the fall, if it made it to the bottom of the shaft, it may be on top of another car if there is more than one car in the bank. It probably did not survive the goo that is at the bottom. There is lubricants, water, tons of dirt down at the bottom of the shaft. So if it did survive the fall, the goo down there probably killed it.

Time for a new phone.
    04-08-08 07:32 PM
    How exactly did your phone actually get down the elevator shaft? I would not chance paying the elevator company to fish it out. I would be inclined to believe it is trashed-
    04-08-08 07:36 PM
    sorry to hear about the situation your in! never any fun, but i wouldnt pay a company $200 to get the phone, sounds a little extreme, dont really see a need to pay that, im sure there is access.

like said before either insurance claim, or ebay, both cheaper then $600 and more efficient.
    04-08-08 07:37 PM
    Somebody wasn't listening when they said "keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all times"

Sorry about your phone, buy a new one the shafted one is probably dead.
    04-08-08 07:57 PM
    That Berry is a nooo go...the thought of the grit and slime down there....GROSS!!!!
    04-08-08 09:07 PM
    whoa i thought i herd it all sorry to hear. yeah say it was stolen
    04-08-08 10:25 PM
    Dang that sucks! Thats it! I'm never dropping my blackberry! EVER!
    04-09-08 08:10 AM
    My heartfelt apologies go out to you. I know what dropping it feels like. I've done it about twice to mine and damn near brought myself to tears!!!

04-09-08 08:18 AM
    why the **** are random words in different colors?!?!

I've been trying to figure it out... for like... a whole 30 seconds
    04-14-08 05:55 AM
    If you dont have your old phone for the insurance company they wont send you a new one unless you get a police report...the deductable is usually $50 if you have Verizon wich uses Asurion..As for your data on the phone if you were using Desktop Manager it usually backs your entire phone up once a week so you can retrive your data that way...just my 2 cents.
    04-14-08 01:16 PM
    whoa i thought i herd it all sorry to hear. yeah say it was stolen
    Honestly people... he doesn't need to compound his problems by adding insurance fraud to his worries. Insurance doesn't require the unit to be stolen to be replaced.
    04-14-08 03:53 PM
    If you dont have your old phone for the insurance company they wont send you a new one unless you get a police report...the deductable is usually $50 if you have Verizon wich uses Asurion..As for your data on the phone if you were using Desktop Manager it usually backs your entire phone up once a week so you can retrive your data that way...just my 2 cents.
    Not exactly correct. I'm with a marina construction company and have lost a couple of phones that fell in the ocean. Insurance covered it without problem other than the $50 payment. If you claim it was stolen, yes they will want the police report but if you just lose it or drop it down an elevator shaft or in my case drop it off a floating dock in 15 feet of saltwater they should cover it.
    04-14-08 06:47 PM
    Not exactly correct. I'm with a marina construction company and have lost a couple of phones that fell in the ocean. Insurance covered it without problem other than the $50 payment. If you claim it was stolen, yes they will want the police report but if you just lose it or drop it down an elevator shaft or in my case drop it off a floating dock in 15 feet of saltwater they should cover it.
    I think I'd probably have a coronary if I lose my berry. is that sad?
    04-14-08 07:07 PM
    Hi...the big issue for me would be whether or not someone could access the data in the phone.

If it's password-protected, I would move on a new phone. Ebay has a few, I think.

Good luck!
    04-15-08 04:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD