I did a quick survey using Search but there were a number of threads but I'm not sure about this and don't want to blow it.

When I first got my 8830, I believe I enabled a Password. I got tired of using it, frankly, and DISABLED it. I am reconsidering that decision but before I ENABLE a Password, I want to make sure that I don't foul this up.

When I enter the Security Options, I see the drop-down ENABLE/Disable. I do not see any place on that initial screen to actually enter a Password. I am guessing that if I pick ENABLE it will eventually prompt me for a password.

I first want to make sure that is what will happen - I will be prompted for a password.

Second and quite important, I also want to be sure that I am allowed to enter an entirely NEW PASSWORD. I don't want it re-enabling that old (and now forgotten) Password.

Next, there are the other various options such as

Prompt on Application Install
    Content Compression (what's this doing - kind of ZIPping data)
    CONTENT PROTECTION (what specifically is this one)
    Strength
    Include Addressbook
    (I have NO Services)

What are these various options?

I already get occasionally pestered by Application permissions. I don't want the BB going overboard if I use the gps-puck, or some other stuff and seeking permission on everything I do or write.

Basically, what I'd like is for a Password and if it is not entered correctly X number of times, my data: contacts, calendar, memos, email accounts, etc GONE.

Frankly, the manual has not really aided me in this process.

Thanks in advance.
    07-14-08 02:09 PM
    I did a quick survey using Search but there were a number of threads but I'm not sure about this and don't want to blow it.

When I first got my 8830, I believe I enabled a Password. I got tired of using it, frankly, and DISABLED it. I am reconsidering that decision but before I ENABLE a Password, I want to make sure that I don't foul this up.

When I enter the Security Options, I see the drop-down ENABLE/Disable. I do not see any place on that initial screen to actually enter a Password. I am guessing that if I pick ENABLE it will eventually prompt me for a password.

I first want to make sure that is what will happen - I will be prompted for a password. **Yes. After you enable the password and press the escape key, you'll be prompted to create and then verify your password.

Second and quite important, I also want to be sure that I am allowed to enter an entirely NEW PASSWORD. I don't want it re-enabling that old (and now forgotten) Password. **It will be whatever password you enter, except: It can't be the old, because the BB won't let you repeat passwords.

Next, there are the other various options such as

Prompt on Application Install **I don't use
    Content Compression (what's this doing - kind of ZIPping data) **Yes, I use it.
    CONTENT PROTECTION (what specifically is this one) **Encrypts the data content on the blackberry.
    Strength **any selection is good enough. You aren't carrying nuclear launch codes...I hope.
    Include Addressbook **Important: Say NO. If you say yes, the content protection will shield your address book from incoming calls, meaning your caller ID won't work(I have NO Services)

What are these various options?

I already get occasionally pestered by Application permissions. I don't want the BB going overboard if I use the gps-puck, or some other stuff and seeking permission on everything I do or write.

Basically, what I'd like is for a Password and if it is not entered correctly X number of times, my data: contacts, calendar, memos, email accounts, etc GONE. **Use the default 10 tries. There have been several people here whose kids used up their password attempts playing with the device. Using 10 gives you more time to avert a catastrophic wipe.

Frankly, the manual has not really aided me in this process.

Thanks in advance.
    One more thing. If you forget the password and have to wipe, the phone will still be usable. So if you lose it, you still need to stop the service to prevent a thief from using it.
    Last edited by JeffH; 07-15-08 at 12:10 AM. Reason: typo
    07-15-08 12:09 AM
    Thanks, JeffH.

One of the threads I did see was yours explaining some of this stuff but did not fully clear my concerns. Now I'm much clearer.

What really triggered this was I had my BB in my daypack for a hike with gps on the weekend. At the trailhead in the morning the BB seemed to be missing in action. I moderately panicked. I looked in the pack pocket and in the car hatch and it was not there. I had hoped that it was home on the floor. I got on my boots, lifted my pack and the BB fell out of a nook in the strap system. Relief but .... maybe a Password would be a good idea in the future.

So thanks for the thorough answers. Oh, interesting that you canNOT reuse an old password - kind of like the network at work - too much security (G)
    07-15-08 09:36 AM
    I also discovered that password memory survives a wipe/reload. I tried to enable the same password and was told I couldn't reuse it. Wiping disables the password, but doesn't forget it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-08 10:29 AM
    I also discovered that password memory survives a wipe/reload. I tried to enable the same password and was told I couldn't reuse it. Wiping disables the password, but doesn't forget it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    That may be a bit too protective. That would mean coming up with yet another password. But (like the TimeZone issue ) it is just the way it is!
    07-15-08 02:23 PM
    I have been looking for days on how to stop my password from expiring. Anyone has details on this?

I just want to keep the same password with out expiring. I have a CRADLE POINT PHS300, which needs to use the same password when I'm connected through my phone.
    07-31-08 05:28 PM
    I have been looking for days on how to stop my password from expiring. Anyone has details on this?

I just want to keep the same password with out expiring. I have a CRADLE POINT PHS300, which needs to use the same password when I'm connected through my phone.
    I didn't even realize the bb password did expire. I was considering enabling the security feature of the phone and did a search first and came across this thread. If you can't have passwords that don't expire, how often do you have to create a new one?
    08-08-08 10:43 AM

I didn't even realize the bb password did expire. I was considering enabling the security feature of the phone and did a search first and came across this thread. If you can't have passwords that don't expire, how often do you have to create a new one?
    As best I can tell from a google search, BlackBerry passwords do not expire, unless controlled by an IT Policy. I'm basing that opinion on this post by John Clark in the blackberry forums: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...d-expired.html

In that thread, someone raises the point that their personal BB password is expiring very frequently, asks how to stop it, and specifically requests that nobody post "never heard of it/never happened to me." The only answer he got was a suggestion he backup, wipe, and restore. So that may be the answer for oskaru as well.
    08-08-08 05:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD