I recently got my BB 8830 WE soaked in sea water. The battery immediately got a red line across it. Is it fried? I have ordered a new one. I have dried the phone for 4 days awaiting new battery. Some suggestions I have received are to a) Try with new battery after several days of drying
    b) Re-soak in fresh water to get the salt out.
    c) Heat an oven to 150 degrees, turn it off and put the phone in to dry thoroughly
    d) Buy a new one

Any suggestions other than the obvious of "stay away from the beach!"
    Thanks
    03-17-09 06:00 PM
    I belive your best bet would be D.
    03-17-09 06:04 PM
    Salt water is pure death to electronics, next trip, pack a ziploc bag, and keep it zipped, you can use it in the bag.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-09 06:15 PM
    rinse it completly out in fresh water to get all salt out. Take it completly apart and shake dry it so all major water is out of the phone. Now put battery and phone in a ziplock bag and fill with dry uncooked rice. Leave it in there for 24hrs. the rice will pull all moisture out of the phone and it should work. But salt water f$%ks the phone up so hope the salt didnt do any damage. I have dropped many phones in fresh water and saved them with this method. Hope it works out!!!
    03-17-09 06:22 PM
    Had a friend drop a regular phone in salt water...let it dry a day....and had better reception the next day after it dried off lol.

I know it sucks but the 8830WE can be bought fairly cheap these days !

03-17-09 07:37 PM
    Why does no one talk about rubbing alcohol baths? Dip that sucker in the highest percent rubbing alcohol you can find in a bag and shake vigorously to get rid of the dried salt. Typically you you'll find 70% but you can find 80% if you search through your local pharmacy store (Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens, etc). Once you've done that open her up and let her dry. Basically you're using the alcohol to rince out the contamiants, and then with the rinsing agent being alcohol it will dry/evaporate quickly (much more so than any water) and hopefully save the phone. This is best done as soon as any major water exposure occurs as alcohol exaporates and drys much quicker then water/salt water and will prevent corrosion/rusting
    03-17-09 10:08 PM
    Wow I can't imagine dropping my phone in any water I am sorry you're going through this best suggestion I can give you is probably get a new one. Good luck

03-18-09 01:33 AM
    Than ks to all...will try a combination of all suggestions...and, maybe, buy a new one!!
    03-18-09 04:13 AM
    How horrible! I hope your phone will be ok.
    03-18-09 04:32 AM
    Let us know how you make out.

03-18-09 05:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD