I just picked up a 1 GB SD card for my 8830 and am screwign around trying to send things to my BB through email. Specifically i'm sending myself a 3 MB mp3 file. When i try to open the attachment it states that it is receiveing for awhile and then stops saying "attachment size exceeds server value." What am I doing wrong or can i not send my self large files through email?
    06-20-07 03:03 PM
    Just connect the device to a pc, and copy and paste from the pc directly to the memory card (remember to enable mass storage, from the device - it will prompt you when you connect the device)...
    06-20-07 09:55 PM
    Copy and pasting from the computer should be straight forward.
    However, I tried the Roxio Media Manager 9 from the Blackberry website, and found a few features useful.
    When copying from the computer, you can 'optimize' the media file, which will shrink the audio or video files down considerable.
    06-20-07 10:52 PM
    I realize i can do it with the USB, but I assumed it would work just from an email as well. Is it just not possible downloading it as an attachment from an email?
    06-21-07 08:51 AM
    I think the problem you are having with email is the file size. BIS has a file size limit on downloads. I think it is 2MB, but I could be wrong on that.
    06-21-07 09:50 AM
    I have successfully sent my BB 8830 several photos by email. When I opened the attachment I was able to save the image to my Micro SD card. However, none of these images was larger than 100k. Your issue is most likely a file size limit in the BIS system.

The video converter in the Desktop Media Manager is very good. It converted a 950MB AVI file into a 3.3 MB mp4 file in less than a minute.
    06-21-07 10:41 AM
    dlathem, how did you go about converting the AVI to compressed mp4? I only see import options for audio and photos.. Thanks
    06-21-07 11:07 PM
    Drag it to the video folder using the Roxio app, and it'll give you an option saying "Optimize...".
    06-21-07 11:29 PM
    Thanks but no luck. My version is Easy Creator 9, and no matter how many times I drag something in, it never offers an optimize option. There is also no such menu optionn. for me.
    06-22-07 06:27 AM
    SteveP - not the desktop version of Easy Creator, but the BlackBerry version called Roxio Media Manager which is a bundled part of Desktop Software 4.2 SP2...
    06-22-07 08:39 AM
    ofelas, I think I finally got there in a most round-about way. The Roxio does not have an import Video setting. I tried importing my ripped mp4 from dvd as a photo and was able to import. It wasn't until I was in the BB MM and dragged it into the devise window that it offered the optimization options. It's still crunching, but this is at least the furthest I have gotten. The previous test mp4s I moved to the phone have not run but hopefully this will do it.
    06-22-07 08:47 AM
    SteveP - we must have posted at the same time
    See my previous post just before yours...you figured it out on your own though...the optimization feature works well, and I've found the mp4 conversion offers the best balance of file size & quality.
    06-22-07 08:53 AM
    how does one grab larger attatchements then ? do we log into google to get them on a browser and save them on the card?
    07-02-07 12:28 AM
    You can't. The RIM proxy servers limit the size of the downloads, which is BS in my book. Even if you use Opera you're limited because Opera triggers the BB Browser to download files, which is stupid.
    07-02-07 10:54 AM
    that is really bad news. cant bigger files even thru the browser? hmmm since email and large attatchments are key to me that might be a deal breaker....anyone think it is possible to hack?
    07-02-07 12:30 PM
    It's how a BB functions. All internet traffic to the handhelds are Proxied through RIM or BES and thus limited to those push settings.
    07-02-07 03:12 PM
    I have had the same issues myself but, there is always more than one way to skin a cat. Assuming that you have a web server, you can load the file to it and email the direct link. The bberry 8830 can only open and view media attachments in an mp3 or mp4 (video) format. When you receive the email just click on the link and it will ask u to open the file or save it. The choice is yours. I have had the most success downloading the file rather than just opening the file. Seems to get hung up if you just try to open the file. Good luck and let me know if you have further questions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-07 02:45 PM
    I have had the same issues myself but, there is always more than one way to skin a cat. Assuming that you have a web server, you can load the file to it and email the direct link. The bberry 8830 can only open and view media attachments in an mp3 or mp4 (video) format. When you receive the email just click on the link and it will ask u to open the file or save it. The choice is yours. I have had the most success downloading the file rather than just opening the file. Seems to get hung up if you just try to open the file. Good luck and let me know if you have further questions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    That doesn't work if the file is too large. Generally speaking, if the file is too large to email as an attachment it's too big to download via the Internet Browser as well. It's a shame that RIM has put such limitations on the system. The only other solution would be to use an APN without any limitations on file downloads. I haven't had a chance to try this out or even look into an APN that has no limitations, but it is an option.
    07-04-07 03:58 PM
    I've never been able to get mine to prompt me to save. What am I doing wrong?
    07-05-07 12:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD