I just got the 8830 the other day. I installed the Desktop Manager software that came with it. Everything seemed to install properly. I was able to select the correct USB-PIN under the options->connections setting. My computer was making the noise indicating that I was plugging/unplugging my phone (the usb noise windows makes), however the desktop manager software always said the device was "disconnected". I then went and downloaded the newest version of Desktop Manager from BlackBerry.com (4.2.2.14), same issues. My computer is only 3 weeks old. I'm running Office 07.

I assume maybe the USB driver is messed up or something, but not sure. Anybody have any advice? I looked through the other threads but didn't see any other persons with the same issues.

The reason I need this software installed is b/c I'm also having trouble during the enterprise activation. It got to the waiting for services prompt and then after a bit said “the server is not responding please contact your system admin”. The admin did something and had me try again, but I got the same issue (FYI - We are using an online company for the BB service and windows exchange service, so they are not in my office or anything). Then he told me to wipe out and restore the device and try again. I was worried about wiping out all my contacts since I just got the phone and had all my contacts transfered over by Verizon (my previous phone was not a BB). So that is when he told me to install the software, back them up, and then wipe/restore and try again. Now I'm stuck at the problem where desktop manager always says the device is "disconnected".

Hopefully I gave enough information - I tried my best. TIA
    Last edited by boopfm523; 06-13-07 at 08:24 AM.
    06-13-07 08:13 AM
    Uninstall desktop manager, and also it needs to be cleared from the registry. Better still, if you're running Windows XP, do a RESTORE (START / PROGRAMS / ACCESSORIES / SYSTEM TOOLS / System Restore) to before you installed Desktop Manager (depending on how long ago you installed it...

Then install the latest version (4.2.1.8) again...
    06-13-07 08:45 AM
    I don't have a copy of 4.2.1.8. My 8830 came with 4.2.2. I tried searching online, but couldn't find a place to download 4.2.1.8. thanks
    06-13-07 09:04 AM
    Sorry, you're right, your version is different! Nonetheless, still follow what I was saying above, but using your version of Desktop Manager...
    06-13-07 09:21 AM
    So my assumption is that you think something got screwed up during the install? Since it seems your advice is to just go back in time before I installed it and reinstall the same version again.

** Update - This did not work.
    Last edited by boopfm523; 06-13-07 at 11:15 AM.
    06-13-07 10:26 AM
    This is odd because the same thing happened to me. My DM says disconnected, even though I have successfully used it in the past. The USB cord will charge the unit, but as far as getting access to DM, it's a no go.

Any pointers?
    08-22-07 02:35 PM
    I had the same problem and I have an 8830, make sure desktop manager is closed, take the battery out of the blackberry, put it back in and when you see the hour glass open up desktop manager and it should connect.
    09-09-07 06:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD