Can someone explain memory leak to me and why it is important? Thanks in advance..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-08 09:00 PM
    In simple terms it is when a program allocates memory (reserves it for use) and then does not deallocate (give it back to be distributed to other apps) when it closes.

Also, memory leaks can also be when an app keeps trying to allocate more and more memory.

This is bad because it decreases the amount of RAM other apps can use and requires a reboot to free up the RAM.
    07-22-08 09:10 PM
    Also... On the 8830, I can say that when the memory leak gets to a certain level, the BB will delete ALL SMS, Email and call logs to reclaim memory.

Lots of misc info on this site about that if you look around.
    07-23-08 01:56 PM
    Can someone explain memory leak to me and why it is important? Thanks in advance..

When data is being transferred in and out of the device(the two blue arrows in the right corner of screen) bits of that data get "stuck" and a battery pull frees it up. As far as being important i cannot say why.
    07-23-08 02:03 PM
    Good info. Thanks!
    =8')

07-23-08 02:12 PM
    In simple terms it is when a program allocates memory (reserves it for use) and then does not deallocate (give it back to be distributed to other apps) when it closes.

Also, memory leaks can also be when an app keeps trying to allocate more and more memory.

This is bad because it decreases the amount of RAM other apps can use and requires a reboot to free up the RAM.
    Right

When data is being transferred in and out of the device(the two blue arrows in the right corner of screen) bits of that data get "stuck" and a battery pull frees it up. As far as being important i cannot say why.
    Wrong Keep smoking that crack.

Actually everyone is wrong. A memory leak is when your brains liquify and leak out of your ears... also happens when you smoke too much crack.
    07-23-08 07:27 PM
    Actually everyone is wrong. A memory leak is when your brains liquify and leak out of your ears... also happens when you smoke too much crack.
    Haha. That would suck.

Speaking of memory leaks, someone at work today managed to submit code to our build that pretty much killed everyone's productivity for the whole day. Memory leaks suck. Valgrind is your friend!
    07-23-08 08:35 PM
    Right

Wrong Keep smoking that crack.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!
    07-23-08 08:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD