Okay guys, here's the deal. There will most likely be a class action lawsuit filed against Verizon. If you disagree with it, please don't post and start another round of arguments and belittle each other. The attorney who I have been working with (who works for the firm who successfully won the case against Verizon with the v710 case) has already been working with some other unhappy customers on the case. I'll keep you updated.

This is in relation to Verizon disabling GPS!
    Last edited by anon(153966); 08-25-07 at 11:03 PM. Reason: ...added a note.
    08-25-07 11:25 AM
    That's good news. If you don't mind me asking.... What's it costing everyone? If there's no cost associated with it I'm sure more would join in. Obviously once it changes status to "Class Action" the cost if offset to by settlement payout, but still wondering.
    08-25-07 06:40 PM
    what is the lawsuit for?
    08-25-07 07:35 PM
    If you don't mind me asking.... What's it costing everyone? If there's no cost associated with it I'm sure more would join in. Obviously once it changes status to "Class Action" the cost if offset to by settlement payout, but still wondering.
    I'm going to find out. We're just at the preliminary stage and gathering some evidence. It's in regards to the disabled GPS.
    08-25-07 09:16 PM
    It's in regards to the disabled GPS.
    so is verizon the only carrier charging a monthly fee for gps? i have always used a puck, so this is new to me.
    08-25-07 09:33 PM
    so is verizon the only carrier charging a monthly fee for gps? i have always used a puck, so this is new to me.
    No, Verizon doesn't even offer gps for a fee. They've disabled it. You need a GPS puck to use it at all.
    08-25-07 09:54 PM
    but they do offer the gps service on other phones, right? i know i have seen it on their site...$10 a month or whatever.

i guess i am missing something. if vzn soon offers this service on the 8830 (which is the phone i have, by the way), how could you win a class action suit? is it because you have to pay $10 for the service instead of paying $$ for a puck? if you can use a puck or pay $10 a month for the service, i just don't see how you would have a case....and all that would do would make the lawyers money and drive up vzn fees.

like i said, i just don't get it...and i have read tons of threads on this. i'd love free gps too, but i don't see how you can stop a company from charging a fee just because the phone manufactor build gps in the receiver. they are not a 501c.

i just came from sprint and the treo and their are tons of "lets sue sprint" threads over there as well. the treo has issues, for sure..and that's why i took my business away from them.
    08-25-07 11:15 PM
    Wow Trinston, thanks for the info. I have vzw and I love their CRM practices, but I don't care for their bb selections. I've been hesitant to upgrade "granny" (7130e) to an 8703e because of all the apps that vzw has locked. What's the basis of this upcoming law suit?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-07 09:02 AM
    Wow Trinston, thanks for the info. I have vzw and I love their CRM practices, but I don't care for their bb selections. I've been hesitant to upgrade "granny" (7130e) to an 8703e because of all the apps that vzw has locked. What's the basis of this upcoming law suit?
    Basically, Verizon disabled the GPS in the blackberry after advertising that it would work...it's a bit more involved than that but that's the gist.
    08-26-07 09:13 AM
    Also, Verizon doesn't even offer the GPS service for money. You have to spend $150+ for a puck when the feature is built into the device.

This does not mean I am for a suit, I am not. I think they are a waste and the settlement all goes to the lawyer fees.
    08-26-07 10:20 AM
    Also, Verizon doesn't even offer the GPS service for money. You have to spend $150+ for a puck when the feature is built into the device.

This does not mean I am for a suit, I am not. I think they are a waste and the settlement all goes to the lawyer fees.
    i think the accurate info would be they don't offer the gps service YET and you have to spend maybe $50 on a puck...but your point is taken.

problem, as far as a suit goes, is that by time the suit materializes, verizon will be offering gps for a fee...and as i said above...the lawyers would be the only one benefitting.
    08-26-07 10:28 AM
    i think the accurate info would be they don't offer the gps service YET and you have to spend maybe $50 on a puck...but your point is taken.

problem, as far as a suit goes, is that by time the suit materializes, verizon will be offering gps for a fee...and as i said above...the lawyers would be the only one benefitting.
    Where are you getting a GPS puck for "maybe $50" last time I was looking for one (When I had a DELL Axim) they were ~$200.
    08-26-07 02:56 PM

That point is useless dude. The big point is that the device comes with autonomouse GPS and they stripped it because they couldn't make money off of it. Sprint doesn't cripple the same identical device. Why should we let Verizion do this. This is really more the basis of the lawsuit rather then (oh noes, VZW doesn't have GPS navigation now.) Why on earth should I pay a fee to use a portion of the device which I already should have use of because I bought the ENTIRE BLACKBERRY WITH ALL FEATURES DESIGNED BY RIM. Sure, I'll pay for service for the device for Voice and Data because the CDMA/GPRS radio HAS to work with a carrier (that's VZW's role here), but when autonomous GPS is built in and DOESN'T require carrier coverage to work, why should I pay for it? Because VZW needs to make more money off of me and the other customers... I don't think so!

This is really what must be argued in court. Show the judge and others that it's a morality issue and that VZW is creating a monopoly on income tactics by crippling the devices and charging for free capabilities of the phone. What's next, they'll block you from uploading your own music, pics, ringtones, to the phone and force you to download from their online store for a price. Again, I don't think so!
    08-26-07 04:23 PM
    Where are you getting a GPS puck for "maybe $50" last time I was looking for one (When I had a DELL Axim) they were ~$200.
    they are $70 on this site (ck the store)...go to ebay or amazon to hit the $50 range.
    08-26-07 04:24 PM
    This is really what must be argued in court. Show the judge and others that it's a morality issue
    ok..that makes sense...since all businesses run on morals and not profit. i think you have a great case....you'll be rich.

meanwhile back to the point...as i said before i would LOVE free GPS...i would love FREE internet too....but when i hook my phone up to my laptop...i have to pay an EXTRA $15 to get that service. it's built into the phone as well....why not sue for that. if sprint's gps is free, then why not switch over to them? that is what captitolism is all about.

i still just dont see why a company wouldn't be able to charge for a service just because the manuafactor built it into the device. they build the phone to make phone calls...but you have to have a voice plan to use it. and any way, if this gps issue is that big of a deal, vzn will be out of business anyway.
    08-26-07 04:35 PM
    Can we lock this thread? I asked that this doesn't turn out into a huge argument about the GPS again. Thanks guys
    08-26-07 04:36 PM
    Your wish, is my command!
    08-26-07 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD