We have several BB users located in China and they have migrated from an older device to the 8830. What they lost is simplified Chinese character support. They receive e-mail and the Chinese characters just show as a bunch of little black boxes.

Is there a company out there that is working on Chinese character support for this device?

The only thing that Google turned up was this article for the 7230 and 7730 by a company in Hong Kong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    HoldHard
    12-13-07 03:07 AM
    This is not a suported fix but it does work. You can strip out the lanugage support alx file from any 88xx firmware download and put it on the 8830. I do not have the full details in front of me but I can post them up later for you.
    12-13-07 11:32 AM
    Could you please? I was hoping Japanese would be enabled with the 8830, so if this process fixes the specific issue then please post.
    12-13-07 12:13 PM
    After sending a nasty-gram about their "world" edition phone that can't handle Chinese, this is what I got back:

Dear HoldHard (name changed to protect the guilty....),

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. Verizon Wireless takes great pride in the products and services that we offer our customers.

We are sorry to learn about the Blackberry 8830 not meeting your needs due to not having support for simplified Chinese characters. Customer feedback, such as yours, enables Verizon Wireless to continually improve the products available to our customers to better meet your needs. We will ensure that your feedback is sent to our marketing department to allow us to make future improvements and enhancements to the products and services that we offer. We look forward to meeting your needs now and in the future.

Although Verizon Wireless does not endorse any third party applications, we would like to bring to your attention some applications that may be used to meet your needs. You can click on the link below to view some of the Chinese translator applications available for the Blackberry 8830.

http://www.handango.com/SoftwareCata...&Ntk=All&Nty=1

If you have further questions or concerns, please write to us again through Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Irwin
    Verizon Wireless
    Data Technical Support

That's the good news... the bad news is that Handango charges a monthly subscription fee for this.... interesting way to support your customer base.

This is not well received in China. My suggestion is that if you have need of Chinese on your 8830WE, BUY SOMETHING ELSE because Verizon completely dropped the ball.

HoldHard
    12-17-07 11:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD