Hello all..I am currently using a normal flip phone from Sprint and am looking to upgrade it to a smartphone. I am really intersted in BB 8830 (i love it) but can't justify it. Our company does not have BES and will not allow push email due to security reason. However, I still need to access email..have to go through the webmail. I use a lot of texting workwise and personal. I need to have a calendar..and have the ability to sync the work email acct. calendar to my phone. I looked into Moto Q9, but heard about problems regarding WM crashing, etc. My husband has a treo and loves it and is trying to convince me to get one as well..but it is too bulky for me. Do you gurus think i should just go with moto q9 or blackberry? Also, I am on Sprint network.

I would really appreciate your help!

Thanks,
    meers
    12-11-07 12:57 PM
    Well I can not tell you what to do , but for someone that my wife and I left palm after years and came to bb the 8310 curve. It is the best thing we did. If you can get to you e-mail through the web than you can get it on the bb. I have my work mail and home email come straight to my phone and can send from either account. Could not do that that from the palm.

Any other question feel free to ask..
    12-11-07 01:02 PM
    Thanks Vlalra. As of now we use Novell Groupwise 7.0 at work. Would I be able to sync my calendar/to do list/etc. from my desktop to the BB? My company will be migrating to Microsoft Outlook in a 2-3 months. But if I can;t sync my calendar now, than I just might have to wait till we get MS Outlook.
    12-11-07 02:07 PM
    blackberry is the way to go. my father and i swear by it. it works anywhere and everywhere. the quality is amazing.
    12-12-07 12:13 AM
    I ordered 8830 last night..i should be getting it tomorrow..yay!!

thanks a lot everyone! this is a great forum..i am sure i'll be lurking here a lot!
    12-13-07 09:43 AM
    A wiser decision would also have been to talk with the email administration staff about the decision as well. They could have told you which direction to go. If and when they implement Exchange at your office, they may or may no open up OWA. If they open OWA (Outlook Web Access), this should at least allow you to tie your BB into email via BIS. Some companies like OWA and some others don't (kinda stupid if you ask me). Either way, there are multiple ways to get it going, but without BES, you'll have some limitations to your email setup. BIS will only get your email to your phone, you'll have to use Desktop Manager to sync your contacts and calendar through a cable. With Windows Mobile, any Exchange server of 2003 and above has native Wireless ActiveSync capabilities. This means that if properly setup a WM phone can be setup to ActiveSync wirelessly with the server and it'll push/pull email and everything else in Exchange (Inbox subfolders, etc.) without any problems. The email is also instantaneous and also syncs both ways (if you open it in one place it's immediatly open on the other device and deletions work the same way). It's like having Outlook at your fingertips.

In terms of cost vs performance if a company is strickly Exchange based for email and allow wireless sync with phones, WM is the way I'd go for simplicity and functionality sake.... especially if you don't want to deal with the extra cost of BES server and licenses. Sometimes native support is better then other options. Either way you go, I'm sure you'll be happy to a level of some kind.
    12-13-07 09:57 AM
    I ordered 8830 last night..i should be getting it tomorrow..yay!!

thanks a lot everyone! this is a great forum..i am sure i'll be lurking here a lot!
    I just got mine yesterday and I can't stop playing with it!!!! AHHHHHH!!! I love it!
    12-13-07 11:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD