One of my users here has a 8830 and he is unable to add any contacts to his Address Book. When he tries to save the contact, it comes up with "Uncaught exception: String index out of range: -20".

I did some searches but couldn't find anything on this, anyone know how to fix it? I figure I'll try to wipe it and try again, but didn't know if there was another fix. It's running on 4.2 (don't know the whole string).
    08-20-08 01:43 PM
    Maybe try to resend the service books.
    08-20-08 01:45 PM
    OS reload time.....
    08-20-08 02:37 PM
    Maybe try to resend the service books.
    I hoped that would fix it, so I did it, created a contact, IT SAVED, but it created like 10-15 of my Contact. Deleted one, it deleted them all. Made another, same thing, so I created a second contact but it only made one of those. So I deleted them all, but noticed, I could continue scrolling down empty spaces as if there were contacts there, but nothing could be selected.

OS reload time.....
    blah, I was hoping not to have to do that one. Looks like when I get a couple hours free I'll have to do that one. Goes into another question I'm sure is answered somewhere else. If I install two different device OS's (ie. an 8830 and a 8703e), can I select which one to load onto the Blackberry or will I have to install and uninstall each time?
    08-20-08 08:21 PM
    Goes into another question I'm sure is answered somewhere else. If I install two different device OS's (ie. an 8830 and a 8703e), can I select which one to load onto the Blackberry or will I have to install and uninstall each time?
    You are the admin... right?

DM will detect what device you have plugged in and only suggest the load of the appropriate OS. However, if the OS is the same version as what's already on the phone, an upgrade or install process cannot be done. You must wipe the OS off the BB first with javaloader.
    08-20-08 11:16 PM
    You are the admin... right?
    Admin, not really but kind of... I'm considered the TCO but it's a position I've slowly been getting into and building myself. So I'm the most knowledgeable person there for Blackberry's but I'm completely self-taught, so my questions that may sound dumb or basic to some is me just learning a new lesson. I did think that was the answer but wasn't sure (but thanks for the call out... )

Ok so new development on this issue which I believe I've fixed. So after I resent the service books and saw the repeated entry, I did a soft reset, and told him I'd check back with him. Well it turns out, everything is fine now, it's working well... on his.

Then I got a call today from another person who the same thing happened too. But he was able to save contacts before, so he had all of his past contacts, just couldn't save more. When I looked at the Address Book more closely however, I noticed at the first entry it said: <No Name> When I opened it, it said:

Work: <Content Protection is enabled>

So I resent the service books, went back in and was able to add a test contact, but it was listed twice at the top, and once where it should be alphabetically. I deleted it, and there were blank spaces where they all were. So I did the soft reset on it hoping it would clear the problem, but when it came back up, the address book was empty, no contacts at all (though they were still in Outlook). I created a test contact again, and after saving it all the contacts were there again I deleted the test contact, and it deleted just fine and everything looked ok again.

So I'm not sure what is going on here. These are brand new devices from Sprint but unfortunately I wasn't there to activate them, but I'm sure it was done by the books. I'm going to watch out to see if it happens again, but this has got me confused for sure.
    08-21-08 08:13 PM
    (but thanks for the call out... )
    I'm just being my usual self... you'll get to know me by my House like attitude. lol

Anyway, I've PMd JeffH to see if he can shed some light on this. I seem to remember him having something close to this... we'll see what he has to say.
    08-21-08 08:19 PM
    I'm just being my usual self... you'll get to know me by my House like attitude. lol

Anyway, I've PMd JeffH to see if he can shed some light on this. I seem to remember him having something close to this... we'll see what he has to say.
    Thanks for the PM, JR. I don't think this problem is the same as mine, decribed here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/jav...upgrade-42622/

Today's problem doesn't seem to be the same. At least, the error messages are different. However, I have to ask: have any of your users installed GPSed? House will recall that I failed to mention installing GPSed in my patient history. He called me on the omission, but I discounted GPSed as irrelevant....and maybe it was, because I subsequently found a corrupted address book entry. Once I corrected that, all the address book errors stopped. Case closed, right?

A month ago, this thread popped up: http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/add...y-error-56528/

Turns out, in this thread, GPSed is the problem! I never went back and updated my thread.

So now you have the whole story, at least, all I know: GPSed may be implicated in address book errors. If your users installed it, suspect it. If they haven't, then look for a corrupted address book entry. All the details of how that happened are in first thread.
    08-21-08 08:46 PM
    Thanks to the both of you helping out, but I don't think GPSed is causing this one since all downloads are prohibited on BlackBerry's (we can make calls, check emails, that's almost it... for good reason for some since one user created a BIS on his while on the BES and we didn't know it while wiping and wiping and wiping and his emails continually coming back) but I will definitely check that tomorrow just to be safe. I'm really curious about this issue, but as long as it doesn't become a problem again I'll just move on.

It was funny to see what JRSCCivic98 thought about your IT guy and then his comments on me... but don't worry, I can guarantee I don't make the money your IT guy makes, especially since I'm not trained in BB's at all, just kind of thrown into this since no one else wanted to or could (I don't think they believe I know more than they do now, but thats ok b/c I've been able to solve alot of problems they were completely boggled with). But that's why I always check Crackberry first and I want to get some RIM/BB training sometime to hopefully get further into this once I get out of the Army
    08-21-08 09:26 PM
    You are way ahead of the game by coming here. I've told my IT guy about this site, but he doesn't seem interested. If you've got 3rd party installs blocked, then my guess is it's a corrupted address book entry. See if your users can recall what they were doing when they first noticed the problem. It may be tough to find.
    08-21-08 09:39 PM
    Another thing to try is to wipe just the Address Book database by going into Backup/Advanced in Desktop Manager and selecting the Address Book and clearing the database. Then unplug and try to add in a contact. If it works, then you know it's something in the database rather then an OS issue with the phone.
    08-21-08 10:28 PM
    I'll try that if/when I get another that has that issue or I may take one of the two that had the issue and see if it keeps it from coming again (but being on a BES I may get the same thing of it greyed out like with JeffH but I always try something atleast once)
    08-22-08 06:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD