What is the purpose of the icon titled "call log", if all it tells me is the numbers I called? Why do the times/dates of the calls not show up here, and they do show up in the "messages"?

Can this be changed?
    11-08-08 12:11 PM
    Highlight the number
    Menu
    View History

This will show you the date/time/length of calls.

You can hide your call log icon by hovering over it, menu, hide.
    You can access the same call log by pressing the Green call button once.

Press Green button
    Menu
    Options
    Calling Logging: NONE

this will stop your calls from also going into your messege folder. it will still go into your call log though.

hope this helps.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 11-08-08 at 12:18 PM.
    11-08-08 12:13 PM
    so why do I have to go "messages" ?
    11-08-08 12:22 PM
    so why do I have to go "messages" ?
    by default your missed calls get sent to the messege folder. most people find it annoying and redundant. adjusting the call logging to none will get rid of this.

sorry, i probably gave you too much info at once! ha
    11-08-08 12:23 PM
    One more point about the Messages Folder. The list you get when you press the Call Log icon is not the actual call log. That list is just the last 20 or 30 unique entries in the log. The actual Call Log is a folder in Messages. Go to Messages / Menu / View Folder / Phone Call Logs. You'll see the last 30 days of calls, with the date and time.

I don't know why there is an icon called "Call Log" that doesn't point to the actual log, and I don't know why the actual log is in the Messages Folder. That's two BlackBerry mysteries.
    11-08-08 09:52 PM
    Wow! i never knew there was a call log folder!
    Jeff, is there a way to bring that folder to the homepage?

Good information!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-08 04:23 AM
    So let me bring my problem back as I have been on this forum before and my problem stays. After I make some calls, and ZI press the green phone to see my previous calls to make it easier to diel, that list frequently dissapears. My memory if fine, I have cleared out a lot per others thought but the problem continues. Anybody have an idea?
    11-09-08 04:41 AM
    I have the same situation (8330/sprint). Using the green button only gives me maybe the last 3-4 days of calls (depending on the # of calls). I've found the call log, which lists everything in the past 30 days. Not sure why there's such a short list with the green button access.
    11-09-08 09:47 AM
    Wow! i never knew there was a call log folder!
    Jeff, is there a way to bring that folder to the homepage?

Good information!

No, I don't know any way to bring that folder to the homepage. I also don't know why that folder doesn't simply map to the Call Log Icon. That would be the logical, user-friendly place to put it.

11-09-08 11:51 AM
    So anyone have an answer to my problem?
    11-09-08 01:08 PM
    So anyone have an answer to my problem?
    The list doesn't just disappear all by itself. You're either deleting the entries or you have a memory issue despite you thinking you don't. It's also only going to display the last 20 or so entries, so don't expect it to be there forever. And you really should have started a new thread instead of hijacking this one a little bit.
    11-09-08 01:13 PM
    File Free: 24771285 Bytes
    File Total: 83623936 Bytes

??
    11-09-08 02:02 PM
    Do you also occasionally lose text messages? I suspect you're running an app that causes memory loss. If left running, Viigo can cause low memory problems in devices (like yours) that otherwise appear to have plenty of memory. If you're running Viigo, try turning it off and see if your memory stabilizes.
    11-09-08 02:07 PM
    This thread has been really helpful but I'm truly heartbroken...for all the rave I heard about BB I can't for the life of me understand why it does half the things it does--like the stupid call logs folder without actual times or noting call received call sent.

Please tell me someone has figured out a code to cut the CALL LOGS out of the messages folder and put the real call logs in the "call logs" folder!
    01-16-09 12:50 AM
    Unfortunately there's no hack for that. I don't know why RIM hid the Call Log in the Messages Folder. It sounds like you may need to select a different Call Log view. If you look in Green Phone Button / Menu / Options / General Options / Phone List View, you can change what you see in the Call Log. There may be a view that has more of what you want, but the full Call Log is still going to be in the Messages Folder.
    01-16-09 09:38 AM
    Highlight the number
    Menu
    View History

This will show you the date/time/length of calls.

I do not have the "View History" option???
    02-10-09 03:08 PM
    Crackberry jane ... Here's a simple answer in re to your "dissapointed and heartbroken" post...

Press the call button (green phone button) and highlight the name or number of the person you'd like to view a call log of. Press the BlackBerry button (the button to the left of the trackball) and click "View History". This will show you a record of times, dates, and durations of the last few calls you've made. My 8830 currently shows the last 20 calls placed, which includes my girlfriend....when I highlight my gf's name, and click the BB button to view history, it shows the last 118 calls made, with times, dates and durations. This is simple, and answers your questions. If you must go further in depth than this, you have the option of what others have mentioned--going into phone options, changing the log option to show all calls, and then going into the messages folder to view a much longer call log. However, this is entirely unnecessary, as you can simply call the person, and hangup (if they're no longer in the actual phone call log of the last 20 calls) and then view history. Simple, effective, elegant. Most phones do NOT show this kind of detail.

Michael

This thread has been really helpful but I'm truly heartbroken...for all the rave I heard about BB I can't for the life of me understand why it does half the things it does--like the stupid call logs folder without actual times or noting call received call sent.

Please tell me someone has figured out a code to cut the CALL LOGS out of the messages folder and put the real call logs in the "call logs" folder!
    02-10-09 06:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD