I don't know if anyone's using this combination, but I've been searching for 2 months now and have finally got a working solution to sync my calendar the way I want it.

There are many different basic configurations that require attention. But here's what I've got and it's working like a charm (well, relatively speaking).

BB 8830WE
    Verizon
    NOT using BB Enterprise
    Windows Vista
    NOT using Outlook
    Google Calendar (for web)
    Thunderbird Email /Lightning Calendar Extension

The problems have been many. First was BB Desktop Manager. It doesn't recognize ANY of the calendars I want to use. Furthermore, the ASCII import feature doesn't allow (me anyway) to modify the fields to get a .csv to import. (Kinda good, because I really didn't want to go through that to sync every time anyway.

So, surprisingly as I was about to give up, i came across 2 little gems.

CompanionLink for Google Calendar
    GCalDaemon
    (sorry I can't post URL's until my 10 post minimum...google my friends)

CompanionLink is the answer to syncing the Google Calendar to my BB. After install and setup, it's placed in Blackberry Desktop as an add-in and you just slick Sync and it works.

Then, the only issue was, I don't necessarily 'like going to Google Calendar to add my Events all the time. In comes GCalDaemon. It's brilliant, and allows you to sync you Google Calendar with many local flavors. (It actually does a lot more like gmail, etc as well). My flavor was Thunderbird's Lightning Calendar extension.

Lightning worked ok with GCalDaemon but something just wasn't right. So, I downloaded Sunbird (the full edition of Lightning) and that did the trick. I add an event to Sunbird, and (after a short period for update), there it is in Google Calendar. Likewise in reverse from Google Calendar to Sunbird. Fabulous.

GCalDaemon takes a little work to setup, it sets up a local HTTP server to interact between your local and remote calendar. See their site for details. To get it working right in Vista, I had to add it as a service (via administrator, yada, yada).

So, end result.... Calendar on Desktop. Synced to Calendar on Web. Synced to BB via BB Desktop Manager. Nice iCal format if I want to use it elsewhere.

Finally, I tried Remember the Milk and Toodledo for to-do list. My vote is for Toodledo. It integrates well with Sunbird (shows as tasks rather than daily events). Just be careful syncing Toodledo via CompanionLink. It can be done but fills every day with all your tasks. Better to use the RSS feature of Toodledo than sync on BB.

That's it. Sorry for the long post, but it's been 2 months in the works. Again, I may not have found anything new, but given my setup I couldn't find ANYTHING that worked the way I needed it until now. I hope this helps someone. Now I need to check my calendar for those 2 months I lost...
    10-19-07 09:13 AM
    I've been using calendarlink, and it's working well!
    11-01-07 07:46 AM
    I have a Pearl that I'm having issues with All Day Events. I set the reminder for 5 minutes before the All Day Event. Calendar is set to 12:00 AM to 12:00 AM. However, rather than the reminder going off at 11:55 PM, it is going off 5 minutes before the time I set the All Day Event (e.g., set event at 7:00 on 10/29 for 11/1 thinking 11:55 PM on 10/31 reminder would go off. Instead, went off at 6:55 PM.) Anyone see this before?
    11-02-07 04:25 PM
    rojozak, You saved my life! Thank you. I had been using lightning with Google calendar, but was not very successful bringing it to my BB81000; your CompanionLink suggestion solved all for me.
    I have only one suggestion to add, there is now an add-on for lightning, provided by the Mozilla project addons.mozilla.org/en-US/sunbird/addon/4631 . It is very easy to use and install.

I can now retire my MS outlook calendar. I have to find a way of sync and share the address book among Thunderbird, Gmail and Blackberry

Cheers
    11-03-07 12:37 AM
    can you sync windows calendar (vista) to a bb8830we?
    11-15-07 01:38 PM
    I have a Pearl that I'm having issues with All Day Events. I set the reminder for 5 minutes before the All Day Event. Calendar is set to 12:00 AM to 12:00 AM. However, rather than the reminder going off at 11:55 PM, it is going off 5 minutes before the time I set the All Day Event (e.g., set event at 7:00 on 10/29 for 11/1 thinking 11:55 PM on 10/31 reminder would go off. Instead, went off at 6:55 PM.) Anyone see this before?
    do you have auto on/off on?? you should check that and it should take care of that
    11-15-07 01:41 PM
    I've been using Google Sync for a while and it has been working well for me to sync my GCal events to/from my blackberry. I'm using an 8830 World Edition.

If you Google "Google Sync of Blackberry" I think it's the first link that comes up.

If you're interested in trying a new app coming out for To-Do list sync with Toodledo, you should go over to ToodledoBB.com and sign up for the newsletter and beta test. It's being built specifically for Toodledo.

Best,

JR
    01-27-09 09:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD