Ok, I wanted to test/figure out how the GPS really worked on the 8830 so I decided to turn off my data services. I loaded up the default map application (Google/BlackBerry Maps) and started the GPS. Since I disabled my data, I was unable to see other parts of the maps. So I turned off my GPS and restarted it again and was able to load the map for an area that was not able to view. My question is, when it "gets" a part of a map that was not loaded or viewed before, does it store on the blackberry? Because now I am able to travel elsewhere and then come back to that route/area of the map and will actually show without downloading the map, all I did was turn on/off the GPS when the map couldn't view a certain area. I found this pretty cool, seeing how I was able to get a good chunk of map without having to use my data.

Please leave a comment/suggestions...
    10-19-07 06:01 PM
    Map data is cached on the BB as it gets downloaded. There's a menu option to clear your cache, but once the software downloads a section of the area map it's stored so it'll come up even if you don't have data on.
    10-19-07 06:42 PM
    hah, so basically one can acquire "map data" by turning their GPS on/off. Great way to save on some bandwidth for those who don't live in the states w/ an unlimited data plan...

I think I like my BlackBerry just a bit more now! LOL
    10-19-07 07:29 PM
    Say what? No, GPS enable for location on or off makes no difference on whether or not you get map data. The map data comes through your carrier's data link. Do your process again and make sure you clear the cache. I guarantee you that you won't get any map data with your radio turned off on the phone reguardless of what you might have done with GPS choices.
    10-20-07 10:34 AM
    I didn't have map data for the area I was (the map is just square with lines, no streets, names etc.). And if you scroll, it will tell you it can't get any data because you're out of area. After you turn your GPS on and off and it searches for the satellites, that area will now be visible. I too also found this weird. I'll try it again, but when I did the process, my data services off. I'll try it again to see what happens...
    10-20-07 01:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD