Is there anyone out there that is using a Blackberry 8830/Verizon, getting their email from a BES that is able to sync their calendars? I can sync contacts, and tasks both ways, wirelessly, with no desktop software installed. I cannot get the calendar function to work. Any help is appreciated. Jimbo
    06-04-07 02:52 PM
    I'm using BES and my calendar does sync wireless.
    06-04-07 04:15 PM
    You have to ask the I.T Administrator if in fact the Calendar wireless sync is turned ON! It needs to be turned on, on the server otherwise it will not work.

Also, go to your Desktop Manager, connect your BlackBerry, and go to sync, and try to sync the Calendar. It should fail with an error message that reads, "failed to sync with Calendar since wireless sync it setup". If that does not happen, then you know it's not on, on the server...
    06-04-07 09:12 PM
    I am pretty sure the BES Administrator has the correct settings for this device set. The person in the next office, who has a BB 8703E, has full wireless syncing of calendar, contacts, and tasks. Will be doing a conference call with the IT guy today. More to come. There is a possibility that the software was corrupted when Verizon moved my phone contacts from the Motorola 815E to the BB8830. We'll see. The difficulty is that no one in this very large real estate company, with lots of offices, has this particular model BB. If there was someone, and it was working for them, the solution would be evident.
    Last edited by jimbo1mcm; 06-05-07 at 03:26 AM.
    06-05-07 03:20 AM
    I'm assuming you have it set yes to wireless synchronization in messages under options.
    06-05-07 06:14 PM
    Yes, setting is for sync. The problem will be worked on today by IT.
    06-06-07 02:32 AM
    Wasn't able to work the problem yesterday, but will huddle with IT today. Here is something interesting: If you go into the BB8830 user guide from BB, it tells you to go into the calendar, tasks, and memos and select OPTIONS, then select Wireless Sync ON. The problem is that in this BB8830 from Verizon, that Wireless Sync selection is not listed. I am wondering if they removed it from the user and made it the total domain of the BES Administrator.

For Emails, under Messages, and Options, you can select EMAIL RECONCILIATION, and select Wireless Sync ON. This seems to be the only place where you have an option. Comments?
    06-06-07 04:11 AM
    Verizon have been known to 'disable' certain features, but if they disabled this one, that would really be taking the cake...

I believe you auto matically get EMAIL RECONCILIATION when on BES - since I use BIS & BES, I can't remember if you don't get it when not on BES...
    06-06-07 06:27 AM
    Verizon doesn't disable anything to do with BES on their BB's. The only things I'm aware of they love to disable is the GPS and sometimes the Bluetooth stuff.
    06-06-07 07:06 AM
    Finally resolved some issues with my BB8830/Verizon. My company has a BES with Outlook access webmail, which includes the calendar, tasks, email and contacts in the address book. When I originally picked up my 8830, Verizon uploaded my old contacts from my Motorola E815 into the BB. This corrupted the data in the contacts and the BB would not sync properly with the contacts in the BES. After some aborted attempts at wiping, both in the BB and the BES, Verizon advised me to get another BB. I did this and made sure not to load any contacts.

When the phone was activated through my BES, all contacts, calendar, email and tasks work flawlessly, in both directions. So it appears that any of the problems that have been identified with syncing are actually limited to the desktop software, which I have not installed.

Note of interest: Since this is my first BB, I had a little problem activating it on my BES. The problem is when you enter your BES password, it shows just asterisks, and although the code was numerical, I was actually entering letters. When I held ALT and the left Shift key, and re-entered it, it accepted the password, since it was now going in as numbers. When you hold the ALT and left Shift, if you look carefully in the upper right hand corner of the BB, you will see a 123, indicating that it is in number lock. Thanks to forum members who viewed this thread and answered. Hope this helps. Jimbo

Also, make sure you don't upload phone numbers from a non-Blackberry phone into your new 8830 if you are on a BES. It will probably corrupt the contacts and prevent syncing.
    Last edited by jimbo1mcm; 06-06-07 at 03:20 PM.
    06-06-07 03:06 PM
    I never understand why BES Admins don't just make the password 'abc'. That's what I do...
    06-06-07 06:34 PM
    You have to ask the I.T Administrator if in fact the Calendar wireless sync is turned ON! It needs to be turned on, on the server otherwise it will not work.

Also, go to your Desktop Manager, connect your BlackBerry, and go to sync, and try to sync the Calendar. It should fail with an error message that reads, "failed to sync with Calendar since wireless sync it setup". If that does not happen, then you know it's not on, on the server...
    I would like to sync my home computer contacts (outlook) with my BB. Is this possible without messing things up? I would like to do it just one time and not on a daily basis.
    12-26-07 10:40 PM
    I'm using BES and my calendar does sync wireless.
    mine duz 2!
    12-26-07 11:05 PM
    Is there anyone out there that is using a Blackberry 8830/Verizon, getting their email from a BES that is able to sync their calendars? I can sync contacts, and tasks both ways, wirelessly, with no desktop software installed. I cannot get the calendar function to work. Any help is appreciated. Jimbo
    I had the same exact problem as you, and my IT guy did something on his end called "resending the service book." Once he did this, my calendar synced with no problems.
    01-04-08 11:31 AM
    Activated a user 8830 for the upteenth time and cannot get the device to fully finish enterprise activation.

I usually have to resend service book, or remove the battery, or whaterver to get the device to move along. Once the device is done (or I canvelled the activation) I have to use the Desktop Manager to manually sync contacts, tasks, notes (calendar actually works wirelessly.) But then when we attempt a manual sync, either the BES or the hand held decides to turn off/on the wireless syncing of the device (depending on the state its currently in.) So the device turly never is in a state of sync.

I'll turn wireless sync off on the contacts and try to manually sync the device but that fails (he is pulling down 3256 address from two address books within Outlook).

Does anybody else know how to get this damn thing to sync 100%
    03-10-08 02:13 PM
    For me it was the account that the BES services was running under did not have permission to the users exchange mailbox and for some reason that only affected syncing the calendar from the blackberry to outlook.
    After fixing the permissionseverything worked fine.
    04-22-08 02:25 PM
    How did you check the permissions? I've got an issue with calendar sync w/ BB and outlook 2007. Our BES is running under domain admin permissions right now, but I can change that.
    06-03-08 10:19 AM
    We use Exchange Server and Outlook 2003 at our office. I bought my first Crackberry (an 8330 Curve) and we got the free one-license Professional software that (as I understand it) is simply BES that has limited license capability.

Anyway, overall setup went smoothly, and I have 2 way wireless sync of everything EXCEPT calendar - the entries/changes made in Outlook sync properly to the 8330, but entries/edits on the 8830 do NOT sync back to Outlook.

I've looked through lots of these threads and cannot find any help. Our IT person (and me) have spent lots off time reviewing and checking permissions settings in Exchange, and sync settings on the 8330 and the BES. We are stumped. Any ideas?????

Except for this one issue, I am very happy with the 8330 - it really is a nice tool.
    08-09-08 10:26 AM
    We use Exchange Server and Outlook 2003 at our office. I bought my first Crackberry (an 8330 Curve) and we got the free one-license Professional software that (as I understand it) is simply BES that has limited license capability.

Anyway, overall setup went smoothly, and I have 2 way wireless sync of everything EXCEPT calendar - the entries/changes made in Outlook sync properly to the 8330, but entries/edits on the 8830 do NOT sync back to Outlook.

I've looked through lots of these threads and cannot find any help. Our IT person (and me) have spent lots off time reviewing and checking permissions settings in Exchange, and sync settings on the 8330 and the BES. We are stumped. Any ideas?????

Except for this one issue, I am very happy with the 8330 - it really is a nice tool.
    It sometimes happens that OTA sync is lost for one of the five apps that BES supports. I don't know why this happens, but here is a solution that has always worked for me:
    1. Options/Advanced Options/Service Books
    2. Select the entry "Desktop [SYNC]"
    3. Push the Menu button
    4. Select Delete
    5. Answer "yes" to the "are you sure question?"
    6. Without turning off the blackberry, remove the battery
    7. Leave the battery out for a minute or so
    8. Put the battery back in
    9. After the blackberry boots up, select Options/Advanced Options/Service Books
    10. Push the Menu button
    11. Select Undelete

The Wireless Sync option should now be present for Contacts, Tasks, Notes, Messages, and Calendar. It may be necessary to do this procedure more than once. The first time I did it, the service book came back, but the Wireless Sync option did not come back. I repeated the entire process and the second time the Wireless Sync capability was restored. So if you do it and it doesn't work, repeat the entire process. I've successfully used this process to restore OTA synching for contacts, notes, and the calendar. I've never had the problem with Tasks or Messages.

You should know that there is a very slight risk of corrupting the OS on your device anytime you do a battery pull, so be sure to have a current backup before performing this procedure.
    08-10-08 07:47 AM
    OK, I've done this once and now I have one way sync on Calendar AND Contacts - this is going in the wrong direction! I'll run through it a couple more times.....
    08-10-08 10:18 AM
    OK, after 2 tries, I am back with just Calendar being one way sync...
    08-10-08 10:43 AM
    Well, after trying this a few more times, and then trying the same process with the CICAL service book, and then resending the service books a few times (I can log into the BES server and manage settings there), etc. I am still right where I started: everything is bidirectional sync except Calendar, which only syncs from Outlook to BB but not the other way.

Oddly, in the BES Manager there are all kinds of options to set services and sync options for Tasks, Memos, Contacts - but nothing shows up for Calendar? There is a status page that shows "Wireless Calendar: Enabled" but I cannot find anywhere to edit/select options for that.

Arrgh. Time to turn this over again to our IT man. Maybe he can find something that will work - maybe it involved wiping the BB clean and resending my BES activation, etc.

I wonder if the problem could be that I used the BB in BIS mode for a couple weeks before we got the BES (Professional) up and configured. I had synced my Calendar using the BB Desktop Manager, and after BES came on line I had to unselect wireless calendar sync on the BB, clear the Calendar file using Desktop Manager, and then re-select wireless sync. This got rid of a bunch of duplicate entries that showed up when BES was first activated. I am thinking perhaps that although this solved the double entry issue, it may have left some artifact/corruption in the calendar settings on BES that are the source of the current issue.
    08-10-08 11:55 AM
    Well, after trying this a few more times, and then trying the same process with the CICAL service book, and then resending the service books a few times (I can log into the BES server and manage settings there), etc. I am still right where I started: everything is bidirectional sync except Calendar, which only syncs from Outlook to BB but not the other way.

Oddly, in the BES Manager there are all kinds of options to set services and sync options for Tasks, Memos, Contacts - but nothing shows up for Calendar? There is a status page that shows "Wireless Calendar: Enabled" but I cannot find anywhere to edit/select options for that.

Arrgh. Time to turn this over again to our IT man. Maybe he can find something that will work - maybe it involved wiping the BB clean and resending my BES activation, etc.

I wonder if the problem could be that I used the BB in BIS mode for a couple weeks before we got the BES (Professional) up and configured. I had synced my Calendar using the BB Desktop Manager, and after BES came on line I had to unselect wireless calendar sync on the BB, clear the Calendar file using Desktop Manager, and then re-select wireless sync. This got rid of a bunch of duplicate entries that showed up when BES was first activated. I am thinking perhaps that although this solved the double entry issue, it may have left some artifact/corruption in the calendar settings on BES that are the source of the current issue.
    Since this technique didn't work, Blackberry Technical Support Knowledge Base Article KB10105 may apply. Here is the link: Calendar entries will not synchronize from the BlackBerry smartphone to Microsoft Outlook

If this Knowledge Base article applies, your IT department will have to solve the problem. It's beyond user solution.
    08-10-08 03:05 PM
    Thanks for the info, Jeff - I am pretty sure we have already reviewed and implemented that KB, but I will double check with our IT person. I am going to go ahead and wipe the BB clean, delete it from the BES user/device list, and then add a new BES account for it. Hopefully that will clear out any artifacts from my initial setup, that might be causing the problem.
    08-11-08 03:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD